tetanus - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > tetanus
maciascl's Avatar maciascl 04:31 PM 05-07-2008
Tetanus is the only vax that I really keep going back to. Please some one point me to some good info to help me stop worrying. I tried searching through the archive threads, but I really have a hard time with those, they just confuse me

Are you worried about it? Why or why not?

katiesmom's Avatar katiesmom 04:56 PM 05-07-2008
Here is some good info on tetanus. It wasn't even that common in the civil war among all those wounded.
This should help some. I really never think about tetanus.

http://www.vaclib.org/links/tetanusindex.htm
alegna's Avatar alegna 05:08 PM 05-07-2008
I am not at all worried about tetanus. It was the first I had to come to terms with as I am allergic/reactive to the vax and knew I would never risk giving it to my children (even before I was anti-vax)

It is INCREDIBLY rare. Always has been. Is largely preventable with proper wound care. And then- if it happens- it's treatable.

-Angela
maciascl's Avatar maciascl 01:41 PM 05-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesmom View Post
Here is some good info on tetanus. It wasn't even that common in the civil war among all those wounded.
This should help some. I really never think about tetanus.

http://www.vaclib.org/links/tetanusindex.htm
From the link you posted
Quote:
Tetanus
A tetanus vaccination cannot possibly protect from the disease since the human organism cannot build up any immunity after contracting the disease (as is the same after HIB, diphtheria or TB). So, if nature hasn't planned the immunity, how does the vaccine work?
Furthermore, the tetanus vaccination (as is the case with the diphtheria vaccine) is a so-called toxoid vaccine. The killed poison of the tetanus bacilli is injected into the body and meant to protect us. But the human body cannot build up immunity against poisons 31. How can the vaccine protect us then? The official statistics of the various countries show us that the vaccine does not protect us. The Robert Koch Institute in Germany admits that 2/3 people who contract tetanus have been fully vaccinated 32. The rate in Switzerland was 50% fully vaccinated and still contracted the disease.
Ummm...WTH!!!! If we can't build immunity to it, what is the point of an immunization for it???
Gator-mom's Avatar Gator-mom 02:49 AM 05-09-2008
Wow..I had been wondering about this myself. Last night DS cut himself on a razor in the bathtub that I didn't catch being left down too low. My mom was telling me I might need to get him a tetanus because of the cleanliness issue. I'm not too worried though, it's looking pretty good today.
CanidFL's Avatar CanidFL 11:06 AM 05-09-2008
Well, if you look at this link and scroll to the bottom (pg. 439) you will see there were 24 cases of tetanus in 2007. The CDC states Tetanus has a 10% fatality rate. Those numbers are just so incredibly low that logically I should not worry about tetanus at all. It’s a tiny tiny tiny chance my son or I will get this.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5716.pdf

Now to the emotional aspect of this. It’s hard to get over the emotions of tetanus. I have seen pictures. I know what tetanus does. I don’t ever want to go through that or have my son go through that. It’s very hard to read a description of tetanus and not feel nauseated. But I need to think with logic and not fear of the disease.

I believe like Angela that I am allergic to the tetanus shot. I could never see myself giving this to DS.

I also know what types of wounds are worth worrying over. Picture this….I was working in the garden last summer and thank goodness I had on my boots because in the dirt there was a piece of wood with a nail in it sticking straight up. I stepped on it fully not seeing it and it went probably ¾” into my boot and I felt it and lifted my weight. If that nail had gone straight into my foot, I probably would have gotten the TIG in the ER. That is a typical wound that might require treatment. Little splinters, scrapes, cuts, etc don’t concern me.
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 06:08 PM 05-09-2008
If the body can not even build immunity to a particular disease after having had it, how can we expect a vaccine to do that job?

Tetanus has always been a disease of old people with poor circulation and who mostly work with horse manue. And even then it is very rare.

I would never worry about tetanus. I am 62 y old, am an avid gardener and have never had a tetanus vaccine in my life. Of course neither have my mother and grandmother who worked in her garden up to age 96.
Gator-mom's Avatar Gator-mom 03:04 AM 05-10-2008
This is all good stuff to know. I actually didn't know that once you vaccinate your body cannot build up it's own immunities to that particular illness anymore. That is definitely for my box of factiods when I'm getting the third degree from in-laws!!
runes's Avatar runes 04:02 AM 05-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post
This is all good stuff to know. I actually didn't know that once you vaccinate your body cannot build up it's own immunities to that particular illness anymore. That is definitely for my box of factiods when I'm getting the third degree from in-laws!!
you might want to re-read some of the previous posts, what you just said isn't quite what they were saying, and you'll definitely want your ducks in a row if you're getting in to it with the in-laws.
FORCED ANARCHY's Avatar FORCED ANARCHY 10:24 AM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Tetanus is the only vax that I really keep going back to. Please some one point me to some good info to help me stop worrying. I tried searching through the archive threads, but I really have a hard time with those, they just confuse me

Are you worried about it? Why or why not?
The tetanus vaccine is a highly reactive combination vaccine, if a cut bleeds and is kept clean there is little risk of tetanus. Please research this vaccine before you allow your child to have it. Below is a bit of information I found regarding this vaccine.

http://www.vran.org/vaccines/dpt/taylor-tetanus.htm
alegna's Avatar alegna 12:18 PM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED ANARCHY View Post
The tetanus vaccine is a highly reactive combination vaccine,
FWIW tetanus is available as a solo vax for anyone over the age of 7.

Personally, I believe it is more reactive than it gets credit for being, but you don't *have* to get it combo.

-Angela
FORCED ANARCHY's Avatar FORCED ANARCHY 01:03 PM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
FWIW tetanus is available as a solo vax for anyone over the age of 7.

Personally, I believe it is more reactive than it gets credit for being, but you don't *have* to get it combo.

-Angela
I had forgotten that you could get it separate, but I know of many people who have been told in the ER they can not get it that way.
alegna's Avatar alegna 01:15 PM 05-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCED ANARCHY View Post
I had forgotten that you could get it separate, but I know of many people who have been told in the ER they can not get it that way.
ERs tell all sorts of half-truths

-Angela
rredhead's Avatar rredhead 03:57 AM 05-13-2008
I wrote this to another mom on a different forum:

Tetanus is VERY hard to get, and is never found in children. Everyone thinks, "You step on a rusty nail, or cut yourself on barbed wire, and you need a tetanus shot. Right?" WRONG.

Tetanus bacteria are anaerobic, and cannot live in the presence of oxygen. They are found in feces (aka poop) and in the soil. For tetanus bacteria to get into a human being, the human would have to get a deep puncture wound from something that is currently buried in dirt or feces. Rust has nothing to do with it, nor does metal. It's all about the dirt!

If you clean a wound properly, then you're not going to get tetanus. It's interesting, because tetanus bacteria is only found in 30% of "tetanus" infections - the disease is diagnosed by the patient's symptoms. So, what is classified as tetanus may not actually be tetanus at all. (A similar thing happened with polio.)

The tetanus portion of a vaccine contains formaldehyde and aluminum. You can get it by itself (as opposed to with DTaP), but then it contains thimerosal (mercury). The tetanus-only vaccines aren't recommended for children under age 7.

The vaccine efficacy has never been studied in a trial. The CDC says,
Quote:
"It can be inferred from protective antitoxin levels that a complete tetanus toxoid series has a clinical efficacy of virtually 100%"
Once a person has tetanus, they can get it again. The immunity (supposedly) given by the vaccine is from the theory that exposing someone to small amounts of a toxin (in this case, tetanus) over time will make them immune or unresponsive to the toxin.

This is also from the CDC:
Quote:
"Severe systemic reactions such as generalized urticaria (hives), anaphylaxis, or neurologic complications have
been reported after receipt of tetanus toxoid. A few cases of peripheral neuropathy and Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)
have been reported following tetanus toxoid administration. Following a recent review, the Institute of Medicine
concluded that the available evidence favors a causal relationship between tetanus toxoid and both brachial
neuritis and GBS, although these reactions are very rare."
That is, although it's rare, the tetanus vaccine can cause Guillain-Barre syndrome and/or nerve pain. (I have nerve pain. It's awful and it doesn't go away.)

This is from one of the vaccine inserts:
http://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF/..._4864_2_03.pdf
Quote:
"The occurrence of tetanus in the US has decreased dramatically from 560 reported cases in 1947 to a record low of 48 reported cases in 1987. Tetanus in the US is primarily a disease of older adults. Of 99 tetanus patients with complete information reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) during 1987 and 1988, 68% were ≥ 50 years of age, while only six were < 20 years of age."
We all get vaccinated, with a vaccine that has never had a trial, because 560 people got tetanus in the late 1940s.

I wish there were a place where we could see how many reactions there are to the vaccines, broken down by severity, and then how many occurrences of the disease there are (and were, pre-vaccine), and for those occurrences, how many people suffered the various side effects. Diphtheria, for example - there are 5 cases in the US per year. It's big in Russia. Diphtheria is caused by not having access to clean water, and living in cramped conditions.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit!
Up