Ugh. Local pertussis "epidemic": guess who's to blame! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was watching the local news last night and the big story was how a local school has temporarily closed in an effort to contain the "raging pertussis epidemic." They have 16 confirmed cases out of 300 or so students. OK. They reported the facts as outlined above and then started showing interviews with doctors and parents about how all the unvacciinated children at the school were to blame. Even the newscaster reporting the story went into a tirade about nonvax'ed children threatening the health of others.

There was no mention of the fact that the pertussis vax doesn't prevent transmission, so there's chance that VAX'ED children could be spreading the disease. No mention of the fact that if clinical cases of the disease are appearing among the vax'ed student population then the vax must not be all that effective. Just fear mongering and BLAME.

And of course she noted that more and more parents are not vaxx'ing because of "fears of a connection with autism". Just goes to show how little they really understand the issue at all :

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 10 Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Ugh is right! Too bad they didn't interview people like me who were FULLY vax but still got pertussis as a child. I'm so sick of all these people pointing the finger when they don't know what they are talking about!
#3 of 10 Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 PM

So then, were all 16 cases so far in only unvaxed children? I bet not.
#4 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 AM

I live in Contra Costa County too. I saw this on the news at my mom's and did she get an earful! She mostly smiles and nods when I go off about vaccines.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#5 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rredhead View Post
I live in Contra Costa County too. I saw this on the news at my mom's and did she get an earful! She mostly smiles and nods when I go off about vaccines.
lol smiles and nods. Sounds like someone I know.
#6 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Why are they complaining? If they don't want to deal with it, just get vaxxed??? I'm sure MOST of the cases were among people who were vaxxed though, so why are the non-vaxxing mama's to blame? Sheesh.
#7 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Why are they complaining? If they don't want to deal with it, just get vaxxed??? I'm sure MOST of the cases were among people who were vaxxed though, so why are the non-vaxxing mama's to blame? Sheesh.
:
And now time to start advocating for the booster that the whole school "should get"!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#8 of 10 Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM

If any of these people complaining had half an understanding of how the pertussis vax works, this wouldn't even be an issue.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#9 of 10 Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

I live in Nevada County, and I thought the outbreak was in Sacramento County, primarily at a Waldorf School. A teacher had Whooping cough as well as students. The news media absolutely blamed it on the non-vaxers. I did a search on www.sacbee.com and www.theunion.com but didn't find any articles pertaining to the recent outbreak (?) I guess it wasn't important enough to make the papers, just the nightly local news.
#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
EVC

It was el sobrante. here are some articles:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAN310JQVL.DTL

Quote:
The school has an "unusually high number of children" who have not been vaccinated against whooping cough, which is also known as pertussis, health officials said. California law allows parents not to have their children immunized against the sickness.

"If children are immunized against pertussis, most of them won't get the illness and if they do, they won't be as infectious and their symptoms won't be as severe," Brunner said. "This is why it is so important for everyone to get vaccinated against preventable diseases."
http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivall...ews/ci_9207819

Quote:
"There certainly is a high level of concern at the East Bay Waldorf School; everyone wants to protect everyone in the school community and also the at-large community. The dialog has been opened about the importance of vaccines.

"We hope that the parents of Waldorf School will reconsider their choices about immunization."
Nice, huh?

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page