How good are our chances are of getting chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted on the vaccinations board- but not sure it belongs there, so reposting here also

My 3.5 year old is in a play pre-k class with 11 other children who only see one another 2 days a week. Last night I received an email from one of the moms saying that her (vaccinated at 1 year old btw lol) son had come down with the chicken pox. Do you think we have a chance of catching/having caught it?
Shame, this little boy is one my son doesn't enjoy playing with, other wise we'd be sure to stop over asap to see how he is
The little boy was in class yesterday.

Lisa
#2 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
#3 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
well I can not answer but I will say that my two non vaxed children(3.5 and 1.5) have not gotten it...even though they are with other kids weekly. And there have been cases of it in the other kids.....although they were kids that they were not around much. Although if I remember correctly, my kids do have a close friend that they see weekly that got it and they never did.
I also have a 5 yo (almost six now) that did have the vax at about a yr old and she ended up with a small bout of pox shortly after the shot (within a week). They said it was just a break through break out...or something like that anyway.
I know it may sound bad to some, but I would rather just not have my kids have it at all, than give them a shot or purposely expose them to it.
To me vax and purposeful exposure is pretty much the same.....you are getting them in contact with the virus to create a immunity to it.

But of course there are the supposed risks with adults having it.
But look at the bright side, if you do not ever have chicken pox, then you can not ever have shingles...lol.
#4 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM

There's a chance. Even if your little one doesn't play with the boy, I'm sure he'll be playing with a kid who played with a kid who played with the boy who has CP.
#5 of 10 Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I did have the CP as a child and my boys are vax free so I'm not at all worried about them getting CP- just wondering when it would happen. And to be quite honest, I was actually a little excited getting the email lol.
I guess we just have to wait and see what happens...
Thanks for your replies

Lisa
#6 of 10 Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM

There is a chance, how much of one, who knows? DD never got them even though she was exposed.
#7 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 AM

Infectious period is supposed to start around 2 days before symptoms. Supposedly it takes 5 minutes of face to face contact to transmit. So...that doesn't answer your question at all, lol, but it's somewhere to start, I guess.
#8 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM

I'd guess about 50/50.
#9 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any signs that your children got it?
#10 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, no signs of anything yet- but I figured we wouldn't see signs for at least another couple of days if we were to get it.
My older son is actually home from school today with a bit of a croupy cough and when I called the school his teacher told me that a little boy in 'his' class may have the chicken pox as well so my fingers are crossed LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page