so we're not the only freaks 'round here... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yay! i found at least a somewhat like-minded person here in my small, mainstream town! dh was at a meeting last night where afterwards a bunch of his buddies were standing around talking about their kid stuff, and dh found out that one of the guys (who's a chiro) delayed/selectively vaxed his kids (in the mid-90s, no less)! he said that they didn't do any shots before 2 yrs, then they only did the bare minimum, 1 shot at a time, just to get them through school...he said the dr thought he was a total freak! dh was talking about how we weren't vaxing, didn't take ds to WBVs, still ebf'd, etc...he told dh that it sounded like we were doing a good job!

i really needed that right now...i was getting bummed this weekend thinking about how hard it's going to be going against the grain around here. i just saw a high school friend of mine this weekend who's apparently totally mainstream...she was talking about her ds getting his shots ("the nurses say they never feel bad giving him his shots because his legs are so chunky" ...then she and her mom looked at me like i had three heads when i said ds (8mos) had not started on solids yet ("you haven't even started baby food yet?!" ). i can't imagine what would have happened had they found out ds is intact!!

anyhoo, it was just really perfect timing for my dh to have had this conversation last night...makes me feel like dh and i are not totally alone around here!
thanks for listening!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#2 of 3 Old 05-21-2008, 03:43 PM

I felt like this when one of DH's aunts told me she didn't vaccinate her kids until she "had to" for them to go to school. DH gets a lot of flak at work about not vaccinating ("Well we vaccinated because then it is a sure thing") so he was happy to hear this too. I actually heard of a couple other people in this very small town who don't and can't wait until I get to talk to them!

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#3 of 3 Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM

OP, consider yourself a pioneer! Think of all the info you can help provide.

The HPV vax issue came up in my playgroup and since I'd done a lot of research I was able to provide a different perspective. Hopefully some of the moms in my group will research more, too, as a result.

Most of the people you'll encounter have just never even heard that there *is* an alternative to the "standard" choices. Personally, I really enjoy researching and have an innate tendency to question assumptions, so learned a lot on my own, but how much easier would things have been if someone had talked to me about these issues early on!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page