just canceled 2 mo shots! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a labor-delivery nurse I have sent many new parents home with the standard MN Dept. of Health Immunization folder. I had read through it, but never word for word.

Then 1.5 weeks ago I had scheduled my sons 2 mo. visit/shots, but was turned away because he was not yet 8 weeks. This last weekend a friend encouraged me to do the research before I brought him back for the immunizations. Once I started researching the risks/benefits/ineffectiveness of all the vaccines I was disgusted. No wild cases of polio in 29 years?! I understand why the vaccine was created and all that, but there is no way I would give him that when he is VERY unlikely to be exposed! You all understand where I am coming from...

So I found this board and was so pleased to see others like me!

Rewind to 1.5 weeks ago, I left the MD's office incredibly upset because I could not get his shots over with, but now I am so thankful!
#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Good for you!

Can I ask where you're a labor/delivery nurse? If you'd rather not say, that's okay. I was just curious because I live in MN and work for a FP who does Ob/Gyn, too.
#3 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I work at Regina in Hastings. We are a smaller Level 1 facility with one OB doc and the rest are all FP. I really like my hospital but I am a bit nervous to see what my son's doc will say Re:not vaccinating.

Do you mind if I ask where you work? Is your FP or pedi supportive of not vaccinating?
#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 PM

Good for you researching and coming up with your OWN opinion/view. I respect anyone who does research regardless of the outcome! I too am a nurse but I work on a cardiac floor in another state :-) The more research you do, the more stuff starts to connect and come together.
#5 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM

So glad your friend encouraged you to do research and you decided to not vax. I wish I was a little more open about my vax stance with others for this reason.

You can post in your tribal area to find a ped who is supportive of your decisions.
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnurse View Post
I work at Regina in Hastings. We are a smaller Level 1 facility with one OB doc and the rest are all FP. I really like my hospital but I am a bit nervous to see what my son's doc will say Re:not vaccinating.

Do you mind if I ask where you work? Is your FP or pedi supportive of not vaccinating?

I nanny for a FP in St. Cloud (she works at St. Cloud Medical Group) and she is VERY pro-vax. We don't see her as our doctor, and I never discuss anything medical with her!

We see another FP in town who is pro-vax but VERY supportive of us not vaccinating. He never pushes vax's on anyone and believes vaccinating should be a parent's decision, not the doctor's (or the government's)!
#7 of 9 Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 PM

alright, good for you, mama. I agree with what a pp stated about being respectful of any decision that someone comes up with that is a well-researched opinion.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#8 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm so happy for you!! I unfortunately did not do my research until after the 2-month shots, which of course I regret now. So glad you can avoid that regret and guilt!!

#9 of 9 Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM

I'm so happy to hear you were given the opportunity to research the "other side of the story" before your child's first shots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page