Need help getting religious exemption in New York State - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
Needless to say, I have chosen not to vax. I am considering doing in-home daycare, and getting licensed by the state. I was told by someone giving a class on how to get certified that we had to keep all medical and vax records for all kids in care. I asked about children who were not vaxed, and she said that then you needed the exemption certificates, or when NYS came to inspect, as they do, I would be cited with violations. I knew I would need to get the exemption for when DD started kindergarten, but I figured I had time.

Anyhow, I need to do it now, so I am looking for information from people who live in New York State and have gone through the process. What to say / what not to say / tips / how long did it take? / etc. etc.

Thank you all so much for the help!
Samantha
#2 of 5 Old 05-23-2008, 01:44 PM

My son is only 8 months old, and in private daycare. They informed me, because I opened my big mouth to one of the girls in my sons room, that if I was not vaccinating my son, I would need a medical or religious exemption. They did not, however, tell me WHEN I would need it. I have written a religious exemption letter and have had it reviewed by a lawyer who specializes in this area, ( I can give you his name if you would like) and he approved it, and also added a few helpful sentences that included the laws that protect us. I should be able to always use this letter when my son enters public school in a few years. I have not submitted it yet, as they have not asked me for it yet. I figure why give them something they havent asked for yet. But atleast I am now ready for when they do. Hope any of this helps!
#3 of 5 Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Barbie64g, Thanks for sharing your story. I'd love the name of your lawyer. Best wishes!

Anyone else have experience getting an exemption in New York?

Thanks again!
#4 of 5 Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 PM

The trick in NY is to make sure you don't sound "philosophically" or "scientifically" opposed at all. And don't mention specific vaccine components, like aborted fetal cells. It has to be a very religious opposition to the whole practice of vaccination, period. Something like "The Holy Spirit has revealed to me in prayer that it would be against God's will for us to vaccinate."
#5 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 02:54 PM

To all who are interested in my Lawyers name, I am getting confirmation from him that he would not mind me giving his info. Just an FYI.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page