Philosophical or Relgious? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in MI, so luckily, I get to pick one.

Honestly, personally, I don't really see a difference. We are Christian and my religion is pretty much a description of my philosophy of life, so I would feel very comfortable choosing either.

I like the idea of choosing a philosophical exception because then we don't have to go into any religious reasons I might have for not vaccinating. On the other hand, a school is not allowed to ask you for your religious reasoning, right? They don't need a pastors sig or anything, right? (I'm asking this again, because the director of our preschool said that later in school this would be required. I'm pretty sure she's wrong, though. . .)

Also: is there a chance that our right to a philosophical exemption would be taken away? Is it safer to choose religious?

I need to decide by Thursday when we turn in our paperwork for school.

Oh, and we brought our forms to the doctor and he said "I'll just sign it, you can fill in what you want." :
#2 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM

IMO religious is more watertight in general.

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Too bad they don't have a "scientific" exemption. Cause I think a lot of non-vaxers are basing their decision on science rather than philosophy or religion.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#4 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Too bad they don't have a "scientific" exemption. Cause I think a lot of non-vaxers are basing their decision on science rather than philosophy or religion.
ITA, if only. . .
#5 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd go with philosophical, but if legalities changed (I think unlikely, but anything's possible) I'd change to religious and if asked, say that I chose philosophical at first because I didn't feel inclined to explain my relationship to God to the government.
#6 of 6 Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Unless you're in NY or NJ there is no explanation needed for a religious exemption.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page