Nervous about checkup tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is really ridiculous. I am not a person who is easily intimidated, but I am so nervous about dd's school physical tomorrow. The doctor always gives a big vax lecture or a lecture about skipping checkups and I just hate it. I'm not at all worried that I'll give in (we are WAY past that point), I just don't want to deal with it.

I read an article a while back about how strong women act like little kids when faced with someone in a white coat. That's me I guess. I have no earthly clue why because we don't even really rely on doctors in our family except for emergency medicine. I don't rely on them for things like when to feed solid foods or to tell me how much my kid weighs or to give antibiotics for an earache...so why are they still authority figures in my mind?

I wouldn't even go if I didn't need the darn blue form filled out for the school. Dd is 2.5 and this will double as her "two-year well-baby visit." She is going to a Mom's Morning Out program one morning a week in the fall at our church so I can have one free morning to get a lot of work done (I work from home about 3/4 time and don't currently use child care). They do accept religious exemptions and I need to get one notarized for each of my kids (ds is 5 and was vaxed through 15 months so he has not previously needed an exemption).

Not sure what I'm looking for here...I guess just someone who gets how I feel. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 AM

I felt like that when I went to a new doc for a school exam a couple months ago. It was actually the first time we went to a doc in 3 years! I was afraid I was gonna get into trouble. He asked about why we don't vaccinate and I gave my shpeal, and then just nodded and listened when he gave me his.

I'm sure you are a very wise mama and you will do fine. Sorry Dr. but I know what's best for my kids, thanks.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 AM

I know how you feel. We have all been programmed to believe that Doctors are GOD, and that they have all the answers. Why else would they get paid so much money to GUESS all the time, right? Back in the day, they were servants of the people, which is why they thought nothing of making HOUSE CALLS. Those days are long gone unfortunatly, and we are meant to submit to whatever they say. My advice to you is this: You obviously have made your choice. Before he can even get a word out about the vaxxes, let him know upfront you have done so much research, you feel you have gotten a free medical education in the area, and your mind is set. Weigh the kid, measure her, check her reflexes, and send the bill. END OF STORY!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It won't help for today, but maybe now's the time to start looking for a different doctor (for the next time you need to go, I mean). Not sure how big a city/town you're in, but there may be an FP or GP or someone out there who won't hassle you about your choices. For me, it's a requirement (because I hate that feeling you're talking about, I get it too), but I've lived in big cities with lots of choices for healthcare professionals. Good luck today!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM

When I was looking for a new Dr. for my DS I hadn't picked my primary care physician for him yet, so technically I was interviewing him. I flat out told the Dr. that I was NOT going to vax and asked him if he would give me a hard time about it. He said No he wouldn't.

I think the best stance is to be up front immediately. They are people too. They are no smarter then you just because they have a medical degree. It's up to you to be a role model of strength for your kids instead of caving or being nervous in front of them. Because that just paves the way for how they will act when they are adults and have to stand up for their kids. KWIM?

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Back in the day, they were servants of the people, which is why they thought nothing of making HOUSE CALLS. Those days are long gone unfortunatly, and we are meant to submit to whatever they say.
Interesting perspective!

We're going in next week for school and camp forms after not going in for 1 1/2 yrs. I hope I don't get a lecture, but not worried that I'll give in- just will be annoyed and I'd rather it be a pleasant, working relationship and not adversarial!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the support! Nowhere in real life do I get this about vaccines

I am very happy to report that the appt. went great. He looked over the form and said, so do you want to start catching her up today? I didn't even look up at him (I'm such a wimp), I just said no. He said, okay. I immediately asked a question about dd's eyes (I thought one of them turned in) and he looked at it, said it was most likely pseudo strabismus (due to the skin folds around her eyes). So I succeeded in changing the subject and he didn't ask again!

From talking to people around here, I think drs may be getting more and more parents who don't want to vax and they're tired of the lectures too!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:28 PM

CT has a religious exemption from mandatory school physicals, is it possible VA does as well?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good question--I don't know. I will look into it for next time they need a physical (I guess K for dd and middle school for ds).

User Tag List