"you're counting on the vaxers to save your child" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meh. If anything, they're putting my children at risk. It's hard enough to find chicken pox these days, let alone measles and mumps and rubella.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

does anyone have any information on herd immunity and how it doesn't work?

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:27 AM

I genuinely believe our children might come down with the diseases I am not vaccinating for. I had to really accept that my children might get polio or pertussis. But I CHOSE this risk. Most people do not actually make a real choice when they vaccinate; it's not herd immunity, it's herd mentality. I have yet to hear someone who vaccinates admit that they CHOSE the risk of poisoning their children (or something less provocative); I'm sure there are exceptions, but everyone I talked to vaccinated their children because they were supposed to. That is not the same as choosing.

eta: Because I believe in informed consent, I tell people my kids are not vaccinated. They can risk themselves out of the opportunity to know me.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rredhead View Post
As for the info being no one's business - I'm proud that we don't vaccinate. I want to engage people in debate. Sadly, no one else wants that. They all freak out, or mumble something about how they had all their shots, blah blah blah.
If you're really looking to stop someone and make them think, I'd try this:
You're not supposed to give a baby solid foods until 6 months. At that point, you're supposed to only try one food every 5 days. But somehow, it's OK to inject 8 different disease-preservative combinations into my baby's bloodstream. How does that work?

I've found that effective, as usually people will change the subject at that point.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 AM

I'll say one thing...if they have to use fear to get me to do anything, you can bet I'll never do it.[/QUOTE]

Very good point.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I would tell them that most vaccines have host protective abilities not transmission prevention abilities.
People really don't get this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
I would tell them if they research they'll find that in almost all outbreaks of disease with available vaccines the vast majority of children were those that were vaccinated. If anything they DO put your child at risk.
Exactly.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 AM

I've been looking/waiting for a Chicken Pox party, and none have come along... How can I get my kids immune before they're adults????

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Meh. If anything, they're putting my children at risk. It's hard enough to find chicken pox these days, let alone measles and mumps and rubella.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
does anyone have any information on herd immunity and how it doesn't work?
Someone on this forum shared this site, and I found it very informative without so much bias.

For the Good of the Herd

from the Comments toward the bottom was written this:

"I have a few more comments about herd immunity. I think this is an important subject, especially because the media vilifies vaccination “exemptors” and people who don’t understand the facts just go along with that vilification. With regard to the Time magazine article (6/2/08): the article states that 77% of all US kindergartners are completely up-to-date on their vaccines and that 2-3% of them have been legally exempted. It dismisses the remaining 20% of the kindergarten population as “most of the remaining children are missing just a few shots”. Of course there are no citations as to where they got that information or how it was verified. I would imagine that the 20% of the population that is partially vaccinated would have a much larger impact on herd immunity than 2-3% of the population that is exempt (and let’s not forget than many exemptors choose selective vaccination, so they are not completely unvaccinated). My point is this: if we’re going to criticize one group (exemptors) for a breach of moral obligation with regard to herd immunity, what about the moral obligation of 1) the 20% that is partially vaccinated and 2) the promoters of vaccination policy who have effectively eliminated the life long natural immunity acquired from contracting disease in favor of temporary vaccine-induced immunity, thereby creating new groups of higher risk “susceptibles” including infants and the elderly? (See above comment with regard to American Journal of Epidemiology article that documents the medical community was aware of this effect of vaccination at least 25 years ago). I don’t understand why the blame and criticism is reserved only for exemptors, except that it is easier to point the finger at the one group that is outspoken about their beliefs."

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
I just cant get over how brainwashed people have become.
I agree

User Tag List