Best Book for Non-Vaxers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-12-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not really looking for an argument book, but more of a "What to do if your kid gets a VPD" kind of book for reference. Thanks.
#2 of 27 Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM

Aviva Jill Romm's Vaccination book is great. The first part talks about the diseases and vaccines themselves, and the last part of the book talks about naturally boosting the immune system and things you can do if someone does get a VAD.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#3 of 27 Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM

My two favorite books are Don't Vaccinate before you Educate and The Vaccine Book.
I like the DVD , Vaccinations by Dr. Jay Gordon
#4 of 27 Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
Aviva Jill Romm's Vaccination book is great. The first part talks about the diseases and vaccines themselves, and the last part of the book talks about naturally boosting the immune system and things you can do if someone does get a VAD.
I second that book, although it could use a new edition with updates to catch up on some of the new vaccinations since the first printing.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#5 of 27 Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM

It was updated this past year. It now has the Cal/ Oregon study in it. I think it is a good book to loan out also to people who are interested.
#6 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Can you explain what a VAD is? I'm new to this forum and the overall mothering community. I have 2 girls that i have opted from vaxing, and am getting my self more knowledgeable in the area. i appreciate your explanation, and this book sounds like a must read for me.
#7 of 27 Old 06-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
It was updated this past year. It now has the Cal/ Oregon study in it. I think it is a good book to loan out also to people who are interested.
Oh wow! Thanks. I had no idea. Yay.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
#8 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliflor View Post
Can you explain what a VAD is? I'm new to this forum and the overall mothering community. I have 2 girls that i have opted from vaxing, and am getting my self more knowledgeable in the area. i appreciate your explanation, and this book sounds like a must read for me.
Vaccine Available Disease, as opposed to Vaccine Preventable Disease...the common term used in mainstream medicine, science.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#9 of 27 Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
I'm not really looking for an argument book, but more of a "What to do if your kid gets a VPD" kind of book for reference. Thanks.
Even though it is over twenty years old, the book by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn,How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor... has a chapter on how to recognize a VPD disease and how to treat it. Remember, he was a pediatrician since 1946 through the polio era, and he did diagnose plenty of measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, diphtheria, and polio, so the symptomology he describes is from first hand experience and the text book.

The problem may be that the vaccinations that were developed and put on the list after 1988 as Hepatitis B, and others would not be in his book.

Good luck.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 27 Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 PM

I just got a signed copy of Sherri Tenpenny's Saying No To Vaccines. It comes with a DVD as well. I haven't been able to read it yet, but flipping through, I have found numerous pages that explain what to do for specific diseases. It is brand spanking new and has everything included in it from birth through adults, including the HPV vaccine.

After speaking with Sherri yesterday and today, she made me remember that I need to find out what the status is of Hilary's next book......and that I need another book shelf.
#11 of 27 Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
I just looked on Amazon,and could only find the 2001 edition.Is it available elsewhere?

TIA!!
#12 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
After speaking with Sherri yesterday and today, she made me remember that I need to find out what the status is of Hilary's next book......and that I need another book shelf.
I saw on her beyond conformity blog that the book is listed..."From One Prick to Another" (2008).

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#13 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
I saw on her beyond conformity blog that the book is listed..."From One Prick to Another" (2008).

Yay!!!

I've been away from this forum for so long, I am soooo happy to read Hilary's Second book! I only made it 1/2 through _Just A Little Prick_, but I have referred to it often.

Thanks for this info!!

I'm not really doing too badly when it comes to my vax books...I have had Dr. M's book since I was prego 12 yrss ago,also have _What Your Doctoe May Not Tell YOu_,_Just A Little Prick_.....and on it's way to my doorstep, is_Educate Before You Vaccinate_.

Add in Romm's book and Hilary's new book, and I'm psyched!

I am off to find her blog.....
#14 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 PM

What a list of books! I have to admit, I've always made due with a book I grew up with, the parents guide to Bookshelf for Boys and Girls. The one I have is published in 1970, so has a bit about immunizations, but has a handy chart with "communicable diseases", signs symptoms, incubation, treatments.
Then it's followed by a section describing the diseases more visually.

I really want to check the others out...

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#15 of 27 Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM

I just got my copy of FOPTA today and it looks like an amazing read...wow...I can't wait to dig in...

BTW, if you do request a copy, make sure you donate to the trust as well. I read that less than 25% of people who receive books are making donations, so what does that mean once all the money in the trust runs out?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#16 of 27 Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I just got my copy of FOPTA today and it looks like an amazing read...wow...I can't wait to dig in...

BTW, if you do request a copy, make sure you donate to the trust as well. I read that less than 25% of people who receive books are making donations, so what does that mean once all the money in the trust runs out?
my cousin has Just a Little Prick and it looks like an amazing, although heavy book...i really would like to purchase it (and someday FOPTA, as well!)...where do you obtain copies of hilary's books? and is there a "standard" suggested donation? thanks!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#17 of 27 Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Er, I'm not sure if I can put a direct link on here so just do a search for "beyond conformity" and the blog should come up...about the second one down, it has a nz address.

There's info on there about donations etc. Considering the amount they must spend on postage to mail these things (mine had $25 in postage affixed to the envelope), I'd say be as generous as you reasonably can.

#18 of 27 Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 AM

Vaccines: Are They Really Safe And Effective? A Parent's Guide to Childhood Shots
#19 of 27 Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 AM

has any one read "Raising a Vaccine Free Child" ?
#20 of 27 Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
has any one read "Raising a Vaccine Free Child" ?
Yes, and it's a poorly written, poorly edited, self-published book. I do not recommend it.
#21 of 27 Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
Yes, and it's a poorly written, poorly edited, self-published book. I do not recommend it.
Wow! I was about to hit "Enter" on Amazon.
The title sounds enticing.
I'll wait to get it through inter-loan library, then.

Thank you,
greencat
#22 of 27 Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapoppins View Post
I just looked on Amazon,and could only find the 2001 edition.Is it available elsewhere?

TIA!!

I can't find the updated version either. Anyone know where to find it?

mama to three little ladies
#23 of 27 Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Er, I'm not sure if I can put a direct link on here so just do a search for "beyond conformity" and the blog should come up...about the second one down, it has a nz address.

There's info on there about donations etc. Considering the amount they must spend on postage to mail these things (mine had $25 in postage affixed to the envelope), I'd say be as generous as you reasonably can.
found it...thanks, japonica! guess i'm going to wait until Christmas to grab the Butler books...i want to wait until i can afford to make a decent donation, and the ILs usually give us cash in our stockings . i used the $$ my ILs gave me for our anniversary on tenpenny's new book, which i'll post about when i've received/read it!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#24 of 27 Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM

Here are the books I am currently working on:

JALP and FOPTA by Butler
The vaccine guide by Neustaedter
Vaccinations: A thoughtful Parents guide by Romm
The vaccine saftey manual by ******

If you have read any of these, could you please tell us your thoughts on them? What was it you liked about them? What didn't you like? And, can you recommend any other books that are not biased in wether they are pro or anti-vax, but simply give up to date FACTS. Thanks
#25 of 27 Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm.. I am reading Raising a Vaccine Free Child and I like it.
#26 of 27 Old 10-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Even though it is over twenty years old, the book by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn,How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor... has a chapter on how to recognize a VPD disease and how to treat it. Remember, he was a pediatrician since 1946 through the polio era, and he did diagnose plenty of measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, diphtheria, and polio, so the symptomology he describes is from first hand experience and the text book.

The problem may be that the vaccinations that were developed and put on the list after 1988 as Hepatitis B, and others would not be in his book.

Good luck.
I plan to get this book for when our wee one arrives

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#27 of 27 Old 11-28-2008, 05:21 PM

I've read 'Raising a Vaccine Free Child' and only two things really bothered me. First, the author talks about how wonderful vitamin C is--which I fully agree with--but then she turned around and said don't give it to a child with a VPD. But she later talks about how Dr. Klenner used it to cure and treat polio. She just confuses the matter altogether. The second thing I didn't like was her using so much space to push homeopathy. I'm not discounting its possible value, but I didn't buy the book to read about homeopathic remedies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page