Worried about weaning my non-vaxed toddler.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really just looking for someone to tell me my little guy will be fine. I'm afraid my milk may dry up while I'm pregnant and he'll self wean. He has no vaccines and I've always made myself feel better about it because I knew he was getting all kinds of antibodies from me. I believe the vaccines are dangerous and don't want to inject all kinds of chemicals into a baby, but I'm also a supreme worrier and I may drive myself crazy thinking about him getting a "preventable" disease if he's not nursing.

Can anyone offer some words of encouragement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-29-2008, 03:48 AM

: Thought I would tell you that my first DD was only BF for 3 weeks. She is 4 years old now and we have only had 1 flu, 1 ear infection and about 4 colds in her lifetime. We go to Disney World alot (were she is exposed to people from all over the world) we have never even come back with a cold! I make sure the girls eat well, we do alot of Organics when we can, and they have a good vitamin. If they do get sick we use sodium ascorbate (vit c) and sambucal (eldenberrys) and I never worry anymore! I have alot more confidance in their immune systems then I do the medical profession as a whole! HTH!
#3 of 8 Old 06-29-2008, 12:54 PM

My dd nursed through pregnancy. I had no milk for nearly the whole time. She was no sicker in those 9 months than before (one tummy bug I believe...)

-Angela
#4 of 8 Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean your toddler will wean. And even if he does, it doesn't mean he might not start nursing again when the baby is born and the milk fairy makes her visit. I've nursed through 3 pregnancies without weaning.

Rest in the fact that you've given your child the best possible start to a healthy immune system by breastfeeding for as long as you have. Chances are, anything that you would have vaxed against, wouldn't be totally prevented by breastfeeding anyway. Not to mention, that most of the diseases vaxes are supposed to prevent are pretty innocuous childhood illnesses anyway. If your toddler does wean, it might make you feel a little better to boost his immune system through some other method than breasmilk, like staying well hydrating and increasing his intake of vitamin c, zinc, and selenium. Just some thoughts.
#5 of 8 Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. With people in the family breathing down my neck about getting him vax'ed now that he's "not a baby" I just need some reassurance that I'm making the right choice, and I do think I am, but man can pregnancy hormones do a number on a person who's generally pretty logical
#6 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 AM

My son was formula fed. He had the same colds that everyone else in his playgroup had, but no more. He had his first ear infection at age 2, while the others seemed to get them all the time.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 PM

My twins were bf for 4 months, then ff after that. They are completely non-vaxed, preemies that rarely get sick. They have had 5 minor colds (mostly just a runny nose while teething) since birth. My dh and I got the flu this past winter all while caring for them ourselves, they never got it. That had 1 ear infection when they were cutting their first teeth when they were 6 months old (they are 27 months old now) You can have a healthy, non-bf baby.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM

My two grandsons were weaned before age 2. They have never been very sick and never had an ear infection.

The older one had rotavirus while he was still nursing.

Don't vaccinate! Don't inject that crap!

Trust a healthy, unaltered immune system.

Besides, he may still nurse while you are pregant.

If not, it is time he relies on his own strength. And he will.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page