What would you do...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My MIL just asked me

" What would you do if one of your kids contracted say the Mumps and died from it" what would you do ?

she also kept saying how her and my husband turned out fine from having all vaccines also saying that i'm putting my kids at risk by not getting them and how i shouldn't be reading The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears , and how sometimes you shouldn't know what is in vaccines

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 AM

If those are her arguments, then I'd gently remind her that this is my responsibility, just like all the other parenting decisions that are made on a daily basis. And maybe add that since she doesn't seem interested in learning more, we just need to agree to disagree.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would ask her what she would do if her son had died from a vaccine reaction which is much more likely to happen than from a vpd.

She and your husband probably had 3 vaccines, not 30.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would ignore her. It is really none of her business.

However, for your peace of mind, you should know that the number of vaccines given in your mom's time and now are vastly different. Even the P portion is different than the one you probably received, so you are comparing two different things.

Furthermore, do your parents have any allergies or auto-immune conditions? Vaccinations are connected to these conditions and if your parents do have them they would be healthier, perhaps, if they were not vaxed.

That is just my 2 cents worth.

Keep researching. Read Dr. Mendelsohn's book How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite of ....in which he devotes a chapter to telling you what to expect if your child develops a VPD.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 AM

"I would mourn my child, you insensitive UA violation."

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)
Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am just trying to take her so called advice with a grain of salt.

Still annoying having to try and defend myself and her saying how the less we know about what is in vaccines the better:

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustysSweety03 View Post

Still annoying having to try and defend myself and her saying how the less we know about what is in vaccines the better:

Sometimes you can't argue with someone who isn't capable of understanding.
I have heard similiar things from people who told me in the same conversation that they haven't picked up a book since high school and never will again<---not very smart. Though most come back and say that i was right, and they come around, my family thought i was nutz....now they are not so sure. When i said i would never vax again or that i was homeschooling they thought i was crazy...now they are very supportive.... I JUST KEEP THROWING BOOKS AT THEM, I've got plenty of them...so i use them as ammo, eventually i hit bullseye!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustysSweety03 View Post

This is why dh and I don't discuss our parenting decisions with others...my sil gave me this advice years ago when she and bil decided to not vax, not circ, and to homeschool their two kids. They got so much grief from various family members and simply got tired of trying to explain their choices that they now flat out refuse to discuss with anyone. Dh and I just followed their lead...it had saved us a great deal of frustration. Of course, some things are impossible to hide--mil is very much against breastfeeding and it is impossible to hide the fact that I am still bf my 13 month old. When asked about it I just don't even acknowledge and do the "pass the bean dip" routine.

As far as not wanting to know what is in vaccines--that is just plain silly. Sticking one's head in the sand is foolish.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:46 PM

"i'm sorry it makes you feel better to remain ignorant and trust blindly in multinational corporations to make health decisions for you. i won't be doing that for my family, and this is the last time we'll have this conversation civilly. it's not your business, and if you persist on trying to engage me in your combative, reactionary nonsense, you will succeed only in alienating me and my family from your good graces. if you value your relationship with your grandchild, i suggest you drop the issue and allow me to make medical decisions for my family as i see fit."

that's what i'd say.

User Tag List