The ER - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yup! Happened to us before too- I usually reply that we have a state exemption and will not be disussing it further.

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#32 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM

They always ask us, we always say no to all and they have never once said anything in response. Just seems to be a question they need (for whatever reason) to tick off the intake form.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#33 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Twice at ERs I was asked and when I said no, there was no further discussion. DD's pediatrician, however, is a different story. The few times we've been, he says things like "you must do a lot of praying" or "you must have nerves of steel" and when I said we may at some point vaccinate, he said, "Let's just hope we get to her before the diseases do." I just smile. Whatever.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#34 of 46 Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM

A few months ago, I took my baby to the ER (he was about 5 mos old) for what appeared to possibly be a ruptured eardrum (he'd been battling a really bad ear infection). We were asked about vaccinations, and I immediately saw a change in the treatment we received. The doctor was aggressive, rude, and just downright mean to us. When I told him Will isn't circumcised and (upon the genital exam - which, btw, ISN'T necessary for an ear infection) he wasn't allowed to retract his foreskin, he rudely said, "And WHY'S that?!?!" I was floored. I went up upset, with no answers, and promptly wrote a letter to 3 separate departments of the hospital, including the President of the hospital. I did receive a call back, but also a bill. The nasty ER doc refused to bill it a viable emergency (um, he was 5 mos old and screaming uncontrollably for hours despite home treatments with a known ear infection!!). So my insurance passed the bill to us. I contested the charges but the insurance review said that according to the doc's diagnosis, it wasn't valid.

I will never be a client of that hospital ever again and will be sure to let everyone I know the experience I had. I shouldn't really be surprised, though. When my best friend had her baby there nearly two years ago, the baby's temp was low and they actually stripped her and laid her naked in the warmer (note that it was Nov and cold outside). Who the heck still does that?!??! They were so far behind the times that they didn't even bother doing kangaroo care, and then they wondered why it wasn't working.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#35 of 46 Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Oddly enough, I took my littlest one to the ER last Thursday with a NASTY cough, so bad he couldn't catch his breath and was turning blue. They NEVER asked me if my kids were up to date or vaxed at all, even when I told them that all of my kids had the cough. They said it was just a cold. I knew it wasn't and took them to the chidren's hospital in Orlando and come to find out, they all had pertussis.

By the time we got home from there (5 days later), the HD had already contacted the other hospital and had everyone that came in contact with my son on antibiotics.

The people at the children's hospital gave me some flack for it, though and seem to think that now that they have pertussis , I am going to rush out and get them caught up. I have to admit, I had a lot of mama guilt at that point and considered it but once I talked to the lady at the HD, she informed that kids with the vac are getting too, I felt so much better.

Of course, everyone in my family thinks I am nuts are mad at me for not having them vaxed but I can deal with that as it comes.
#36 of 46 Old 07-20-2008, 04:38 PM

I have learned to politely say "Its none of your business!", or "no thank you, and please make sure I am not asked again!"

When they want full addresses when you take your dog to the vet, when they want to know why you won't get a flu shot. you know, when you feel you are under survey anytime or everytime you go in for med. reasons.

Its a violation of your privacy isn't it! Just say no once, and maybe a rem. and then don't you think its alright to really get mad?

T
#37 of 46 Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM

I wonder if the hospital has that as part of the intake questionaire that the nurses have to fill in. It's been a long time since I worked in the ER, and back then I did not even bat an eye about vax. The only time I remember vax being a big deal was when I worked on burn unit, one of the most important things they wanted to know was whether or not the pt had, had a tetanus shot. I do vaguely remember something about offering the pneumonia vax to pts over a certain age, but like I said it was part of the paperwork, in the medical field, vax is really under the radar. It isn't even something that most nurses or docs think to ask, "why is that on this intake form?" I know now that if I went back to working at the hospital knowing what I know, I would be a lot more sensitive to irrelavant vax questions on intake forms. Also, my DH took our son to the ER several months ago for a busted lip (thanks to his little brother throwing an automoblox at his face), and I was very insistent when my DH took him that he made sure they did not try to vax our son while he was in the ER or make an issue of it. My DH said my son's vax status never even came up. So, not all ERs are poking their noses into ppl's vax status.
#38 of 46 Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The ER asks because it is a chance for the medical establishment to push vaccines, while they have you there.

I received a newsletter from our local hospital today. Here is what it said regarding emergency room visits:

"Come prepared. When symptoms warrent a trip to the emergency department, three simple steps can help doctors give you quality care as quickly as possible, reports the American College of Emergency Physicians:

1) Arrive prepared. Time permitting, bring a list of any medications you take or any allergies to medicine, foods or other substances that you might have. A completed medical history form will also help speed your treatment.

2) Know your immunizations. Part of your treatment may require bringing your immunizations up-to-date.

3) Speak up. Emergency departments treat the most seriously ill or injured patients first. Let a nurse or doctor know if--while you're waiting--you are in pain or your condition worsens."
#39 of 46 Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 AM

Yeesh. My DH took our ds to urgent care and they asked him about vaxes. They never batted an eye.
#40 of 46 Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Our only trip to the ER was interesting with the vax issue.
Triage nurse wrote UNVACCINATED in huge letters across the intake form and highlighted it in yellow. Lots of dirty looks ensued.
ER doc said we obviously made well educated choices and shared that his kids only had tetanus. I had heard about this ER doc from other folks. It's refreshing and gives me hope to meegt professionals like him.
#41 of 46 Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 PM

I took my dd to the ER last fall, she was 5 months old at the time. I was asked about vaccinations & said, "We do not vaccinate at this time, is that a problem??" "Nope no problem...just wanted to know." Whew! Cause the last thing I wanted to debate was my vaccine choice, especially because I was there with a cynotic baby!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#42 of 46 Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 PM

My dd has been to two different ERs in two different states this week. Both ERs asked if she was current in her immunizations but didn't have anything further to ask or say when I told them she was current in all but her MMR and varicella. Of course she's 4 now, so she needs those 4-6 shots, but afaic, she's considered caught up until she's 7 and we'll deal with that when we need to.
#43 of 46 Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 AM

I don't lie about it- I'm confidant in why we don't vaccinate. I also try to give the doctors the most complete picture I can. If my kids are presenting with fevers and rashing knowing that they are not vaccinated means that VPDs will be considered. I'm cool with that.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#44 of 46 Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
2) Know your immunizations. Part of your treatment may require bringing your immunizations up-to-date.

Since when was vaccination emergency treatment?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#45 of 46 Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
If my kids are presenting with fevers and rashing knowing that they are not vaccinated means that VPDs will be considered.
Shouldn't they be considering those things even if the kiddos were fully vaccinated?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#46 of 46 Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Shouldn't they be considering those things even if the kiddos were fully vaccinated?
Absolutely. However the reality falls far short. Many drs believe that a fully vaccinated kid can't get a VPD, so the diseases are not quickly considered.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page