The ER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just fyi...

I know many of you probably know this happens a lot already, but...

I was asked TWICE at the ER whether my DD's vaccinations are all up to date when we went to the ER.

I ended up saying "yes" because they were as up to date as I wanted them (i.e. we're on hold, um, indefinitely). I couldn't believe TWO different people asked me. My daughter's arm popped out of socket... what does that have to do with VPD??:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#2 of 46 Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thankfully not for dd, but I was at the ER for facial swelling due to a dental abscess two weeks ago and was asked probably 3-4 times by various people: "Have you received 'the pneumonia vaccine' this year? Flu shot? When was your last tetanus shot?" No one pushed any of those on me, just asked the questions and wrote down the answers, but I was rolling my eyes every time. None of those had any relevance whatsoever to the already-diagnosed problem, so what difference did it make whether I'd had any of them or not?

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#3 of 46 Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Kinda creepy.. no?

What movie is this reminding me of? I can't think, but some kind of zombie movie ot thriller or... or something. Everyone trying to talk you into something that isn't what they say it is or something...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#4 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM

We went to the ER on the 10th of June and they never asked if my son was up to date on his shots, but we were there because his foot got shut in a sliding car door.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#5 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up. If I ever have to be taken to the ER (because I certainly won't go there voluntarily), I will immediately tell them I do not need any vaccines and do not ask me about it again.
#6 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 06:07 PM

We had to take our son to the ER last fall after he fell from a tall chair and broke his arm. They asked us about shots and we said he has had some but we are holding off on giving more. Nothing more was said about it.

A few months later, when we received the hospital bill and insurance statement, there was 2 vaccines listed on the statement! Now he was with us the entire time and I know for a fact he did not receive any injections. I called up our insurance company and advised them that the hospital was billing them for services that were not rendered. They thanked me and we contacted the hospital and they reversed the charges.

Still, I thought that was extremely odd! Other than the insurance fraud, I wondered if they get some sort of kickback from the drug company if they show they say they administer more of these vaccines.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#7 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I know...it's weird. I took dd to ER twice when she was itty bitty. Once her arm "popped" and she wouldn't move it, it was limp. I freaked. (Turns out she was born with a tilted clavical bone and it caused her arm to do something weird? But she's okay now). Don't remember why we went the second time.

But each time, I was asked at least twice each time if she was up to date on shots. I simply said, "No. She has NOT had ANY shots." I usually received "the look" and I continued with, "I'm delaying all shots until she's at least close to kindergarten...." (If then, not really sure yet). And they scribble on their medical charts, like I'm a horrible mother because I refused shots.
#8 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My friend took her mom to the ER. Her mom was 87 and having a stroke.

Three nurses came in to her and asked if her if her mom was up to date with her tetanus and other shots. Her mom died shortly thereafter, and it was not from needing a tetanus shot.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#9 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

That is so bizarre. Why on earth would that matter in that situation?? *sigh* I just don't get it.

I mean, I totally get asking about vaccinations when it's pertinant... you know, deep puncture from a rusty nail or whatever, but really... an 87 year old woman presenting with a stroke??? is there something I'm missing?

#10 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 PM

A week and 1/2 ago ds had to get 10 stitches in his head from a fall and I too was asked about vaxes. I just assumed it was to make sure tetanus was up to date? But then again what does that have to do with hitting your head on a book case?

That really is creepy. We were asked by 2 different people.

I'm glad to be made aware of this...

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#11 of 46 Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was asked by two different people, too... not just one person asking twice. The both wrote it on my daughter's chart... i'm wondering why it was necessary more than once... or um, at all

#12 of 46 Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 AM

I usually just say yes. I feel bad about it but at the same time I'm not there to discuss it either. Besides if they think your kids is up to date then they don't feel they need to sneak them in when you're not looking.
#13 of 46 Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Yeah. We dealt with numerous people asking us about dd's shots when we took her to the ER to remove a bead from her nose. : We told them no. Of course, that being her very first time ever being seen by a doctor probably made them put us in the cuckoo parent category. They didn't bother us much about it.
#14 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 AM

I haven’t been to the ER is so long but DH had to go last week to get some stitches. They asked FOUR times if he had a pneumonia shot. By the third time he just said Yep, I got that one. They looked at him funny and left. I have no idea why an adult would need a pneumonia shot for a cut on his arm
#15 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Ds had to have stitches last week for a cut and I was told repetatively by the doc that I needed to get him a shot

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#16 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM

it must be some sort of general protocol in the ER. they asked FIL this, too. he was like, well, no... the next thing you know the nurse is in there w/ a needle!
#17 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
I haven’t been to the ER is so long but DH had to go last week to get some stitches. They asked FOUR times if he had a pneumonia shot.
That's weird! They asked about a pneumonia shot but not tetanus?? That is really surprising, especially since he had an injury that needed stitches.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#18 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
#19 of 46 Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
That is so bizarre. Why on earth would that matter in that situation?? *sigh* I just don't get it.
Pharmaceutical corporations (aka Big pHARMa) is very much in control of hospitals and doctors and demands that more vaccines (and medicine in general) is sold.

They are into selling drugs. Not into health and healing.
#20 of 46 Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 PM

We took our three year old DD to the ER because she had a fever, threw up, was falling asleep on my lap (she normally goes 100 mph from AM to PM), and complained of neck pain and vision problems. Medical people at an assisted living facility we were visiting said to take her to the ER in case it was meningitis. Must say, I was worried. They standardly ask about vaccination at check in. Well, the ER doctor walked in and without examining my daughter started to give us the scary lecture--she was so much more likely to have a life threatening illness than a vaccinated child, any infection in her body could turn to meningitis, etc., etc., etc. I tried to say a few things and then finally just said, "Can you please examine her, and then we can talk about what is wrong with her?!" He quickly determined that she didn't have the stiff neck of meningitis, did a strep culture (saying we'd be lucky if it was only step--it came back negative) and a UA. They gave her Tylenol (wasn't going to argue that one) and some snacks. She soon perked up and was singing when the nurse came back. The doctor then went on to say he couldn't rule out meningitis without further tests (what a spinal tap on a child who is now perky and signing) and made us sign out Against Medical Advice. Which we happily did.

Sorry for the long story. I just couldn't believe that he was railing on us without even looking at her first. I mean, if she did have meningitis wouldn't every second count?
#21 of 46 Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Just wow. *shakes head* It's amazing what a little propaganda can do to perfectly sensible people (well, one would hope a doc should be sensible), eh?

#22 of 46 Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
That's weird! They asked about a pneumonia shot but not tetanus?? That is really surprising, especially since he had an injury that needed stitches.
Oh yeah, they asked about tetanus but he was up to date so it was a simple yes. It was the pneumonia they were dwelling on.
#23 of 46 Old 07-10-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Heh... I didn't even know there *was* a pneumonia shot

#24 of 46 Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Heh... I didn't even know there *was* a pneumonia shot
You know, it threw me off too. I knew that it's the "pneumococcal" one but honestly, they make such a big deal out of that one preventing meningitis (and all the hoopla about ear infections) that I never really put two and two together. I've never heard it referred to as "the pneumonia shot" before that hospital visit.

#25 of 46 Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 PM

DD had RSV @ 5 months old and was in the ER and admitted overnight. We were asked twice about vaccines, I stated we had a religious exemption, nothing more was said. Our ped didn't know we weren't vaxing so when he found out he had a problem but stating the exemption seemed to make everyone happy enough.
#26 of 46 Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 AM

I have not experienced this yet myself (have not yet needed to go to the emergency room), but I do have a friend who does not vax, and when she is asked about her kids being up to date or whatever, she simply says "he/she has everything she needs".
#27 of 46 Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
You know, it threw me off too. I knew that it's the "pneumococcal" one but honestly, they make such a big deal out of that one preventing meningitis (and all the hoopla about ear infections) that I never really put two and two together. I've never heard it referred to as "the pneumonia shot" before that hospital visit.
There is a "pneumonia" shot but I believe it's only for older, high-risk adults (until big pharma finds a way to market it at birth, of course)
#28 of 46 Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjoe View Post
There is a "pneumonia" shot but I believe it's only for older, high-risk adults (until big pharma finds a way to market it at birth, of course)
Ahh, okay. I did a search and found the "pneumococcal polysaccharide" vaccine for adults 65 and over and select risk groups, as opposed to the "pneumococcal conjugate" vaccine which is what they want babies to get. I was thinking of the conjugate one when they asked, I didn't realize there was a different one for adults. In any case, I'm 24 and not in any of the risk groups listed on the CDC sheet for that one. I guess that's why they didn't push it but I still thought asking 3 or 4 times was unnecessary, to say the least! Oy.

#29 of 46 Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM

I've had James in the ER a couple times for stitches (he's slightly accident prone) and they asked about vax...I said we don't vax and they left it at that...

You'd think it'd be in his file considering we've used the same ER both times...but ya know...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#30 of 46 Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM

the 3 times I've taken ds to ER I have been repeatedly questioned about vax...and then the staff have to lectured me-- this when the vax has NO bearing on the reason ds is there. Last time I said "I don't want a debate about this, I'm here for treatment of blah blah"

....I also got berated for bfeeding-- told by dr ds should be weaned onto solids by 2 years---uh, yes he does eat solids-- 3x per day plus snacks -- but I am also bfing...grrrrrr.:

Was also told I was "mean" by a nurse for not giving ds pain killers---um he is not IN in pain so I am not going to give him childrens painkillers with loads of artificial sweetner and colourings in it. I think it's mean that there is no pain killer available with out that crap.

Also was told I was being irresponsible for 2x refusing to put ds on a drip to hydrate him-- he was drinking water/juice and breastmilk at the time and was chirpy and energetic-- gee why would I not want to freak him out by sticking needles in his hand and confining him to a cot.

I go into these situations not trying to ram my opinions down anyones throat- I avoid all the above subjects and never offer up info about my "irresponsible and odd" parenting practices...

I would be first in line to put my ds on a drip/ pain meds and the rest if he needed it-- so far thankfully he hasn't--...same with anti biotics-- he has been prescribed them 4 times-- he has taken them zero times-- I have always managed to sort out the problem with herbs or the bodies ability to heal itself..but when he NEEDS them fine. I just wish I could trust medical staff to act/ prescribe only what's truly essential and not have to evaluate every move they suggest. Sigh.

OK rant over.

Zoe, mamma to Thomas 1-06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page