Catholic school enrollment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suppose I have an unvaxed child that I REALLY want to enroll in my local private school for kindergarten this fall. And I live in a state that has both medical and religious exemptions. BUT the priest is very firm in his position that the Catholic faith is not opposed to vaccination & he will not accept a religious exemption. What would you do or suggest doing in this situation? (feel free to PM any input you think may not be appropriate for discussion on the board)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

Unless your state has unique laws governing this in private schools, I think they generally have the legal right to deny you admission to the school if you don't meet their requirements (be that vaccination or test score or interview placement or parish member status). Most states even have laws allowing exempting religious institutions from the laws barring discrimination on the basis or creed or religion. I would try to find a different school you liked as well where this would not be an issue. While some Catholics opt not to vaccinate on a personal level because of some vaccines being developed (long ago) from cells from aborted fetuses, the church formally does not have an opposition to vaccinations. Catholic schools do enroll those that are not Catholic but they don't have to do so. It's my understanding that many Catholic schools don't accept exemptions for vaccinations unless it is medical.

You could try to talk to his Bishop and see if they will override him. That is all I can think of besides finding a different school.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM

There is that cogforlife website with a statement from the Vatican... but it is only so helpful.
#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 AM

Wow, is this really true or is it just a hypothetical? That's a toughie. Are you Catholic?
#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 PM

MANY catholic schools and dioceses (is that a word?) are choosing to -as a policy- refuse religious exemptions

-Angela
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffles View Post
Wow, is this really true or is it just a hypothetical? That's a toughie. Are you Catholic?
This is really a true situation but it's one a friend of mine is in, not me. She's Catholic & I'm not so I don't really know how all that works & I really don't have much help to offer. I find it really unfortunate that she'd have no problem getting the local public school to accept her exemption & not her spiritual home.
#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

From what I've read, private schools do not have to accept exemptions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page