Ugh! DH hasn't learned a thing..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our DS was vaxed until 18 months. Our DD has had no vaccines at all.

We were in the car yesterday heading out to go swimming at our community athletic center.

DH and I started talking about a couple we know who also do not vax. They will not let their children go swimming in public pools or a whole multitude of other activities because they are so afraid their children will contract a VPD.

Then we were discussing how if you make the decision to not vaccinate then you need to be confident in that decision.

So at this point DH blurts out......."well when DD is around 10 and when DS is around 10 I think we ought to get them completely caught up on vaccines."

So I ask DH why he thinks this would be a good idea. He says well we won't have to worry about autism anymore then. Our 10 year old isn't going to suddenly become autistic. Plus their bodies will be more able to handle it when they are 10.

The rest of the conversation proceeded with me asking if he hasn't listened to anything I've said about vaccines. That autism is the least of my worries and concerns. That my concerns are the cocktail of adjuvants and other vaccine ingredients being pumped into my children's bodies. Etc. Etc. Etc.
So he got to listen to me talk about everything in vaccines for 20 minutes on the way to the CAC.

At the end he just said "Hey I'm on your side I'm letting you make these decisions."

I just wonder if he has been hearing the charlie brown teacher's voice everytime we have discussed vaccines.
#2 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWillow View Post
Our DS was vaxed until 18 months. Our DD has had no vaccines at all.

We were in the car yesterday heading out to go swimming at our community athletic center.

DH and I started talking about a couple we know who also do not vax. They will not let their children go swimming in public pools or a whole multitude of other activities because they are so afraid their children will contract a VPD.

Then we were discussing how if you make the decision to not vaccinate then you need to be confident in that decision.

So at this point DH blurts out......."well when DD is around 10 and when DS is around 10 I think we ought to get them completely caught up on vaccines."

So I ask DH why he thinks this would be a good idea. He says well we won't have to worry about autism anymore then. Our 10 year old isn't going to suddenly become autistic. Plus their bodies will be more able to handle it when they are 10.

The rest of the conversation proceeded with me asking if he hasn't listened to anything I've said about vaccines. That autism is the least of my worries and concerns. That my concerns are the cocktail of adjuvants and other vaccine ingredients being pumped into my children's bodies. Etc. Etc. Etc.
So he got to listen to me talk about everything in vaccines for 20 minutes on the way to the CAC.

At the end he just said "Hey I'm on your side I'm letting you make these decisions."

I just wonder if he has been hearing the charlie brown teacher's voice everytime we have discussed vaccines.
I'm with you. I'm not sure my husband understands either. He keeps thinking we'll start catching up at age 5 or 6 or something. And he won't do any reading. I've asked him to (he was going on and on about polio yesterday. He knows nothing about the vax or its history or OPV/IPV. Nothing) and he says "you only want me to read the stuff you are reading. Not the other side of the story." It is very frustrating.
#3 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 PM

My husband's the same way--not necessarily opposed to vaxes and probably doesn't know all the reasons the kids aren't vaxed. But he trusts me enough with the decision and that's good enough for me.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 6 Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM

That's just how some husbands are.

Keep telling them what you've read. Every chance you get. Especially in the car. They can't get away there. But do it in a nice way (if at all possible). They do remember it this way. Some day your husbands will surprise you and tell someone exactly what you've been reinforcing. And eventually they will be glad that you had the strength to stick up for their kids.
#5 of 6 Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 AM

OMG dh does this too! He totally agrees with me and will stick up for me. But then doesn't relaly know what to say cause he doesn't really listen when i talk. I guess i'll just be glad that he's okay with me making the decision like a previous poster said. It just if he gets in a debate with his family, he starts to sound like an idiot and says stuff that's not even true. And i'm in the other room just wanting to bang my head on the table!!! :
#6 of 6 Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM

At least your husband kinda listened the first time. Mine won't do any research and does trust my judgement....but then again ds hasn't gotten any VAD's either. He has a general distrust of doctors, the medical system, could hardly sit through "Sicko," so he's easy on the vaxes. I DO dread ever having to take ds to the ER him being admitted....should nurses or docs get him alone and try to give him crap or want ds vaxed for something...I know dh couldn't defend anything.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page