Help me respond to my annoying neighbor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She sent me this link.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379388,00.html

She knows we're not vax'ing. I cna't collect my thoughts. I want to respond in a respectful way, not just an angry one. What should I say to her.other than stop sending me this junk.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#2 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM

I would ignore it entirely.

If she brings it up, you can say "You know what? My parenting decisions are not up for discussion. My, don't your roses look lovely this year!"
#3 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Did she even read what she sent you?

Measles is not a dangerous infection. The kids that die live in the developing world (and are lacking nutrition and clean water besides vita A).

70 people out of 300 million people. What is the concern here?
#4 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 03:55 PM

I would send her this:

MMR Deaths

MMR Adverse Events

With the note:

"Thanks, but I think I'll take my chances with measles"

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 06:34 PM

Don't debate it and don't defend your position. My neighbor tries to give me her "helpful opinion" more than often even without me fueling "controverse" topic like vaxes.

I wouldn't even respond since she ain't ready to listen anyway...Anybody that considers Fox credile research, sorry.
#6 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
Don't debate it and don't defend your position. My neighbor tries to give me her "helpful opinion" more than often even without me fueling "controverse" topic like vaxes.

I wouldn't even respond since she ain't ready to listen anyway...Anybody that considers Fox credile research, sorry.
Ehh Fox has some good things....not necessarily research though like you said. I definitely agree with teh first part....I should have just done that when a friend tried to send me stuff from another parenting website...but noooooo I thought I had to try and refute it all. NOt worth it. Most people aren't intersested in hearing facts and having to give up long-believed notions.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#7 of 22 Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Oh my, is that really what most measles cases look like? (in the picture in the article)

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#8 of 22 Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post

lol. I thought the same. I'm taking the high road, not gonna say a word. I can't argue with someone who feeds her baby cheese doodles all day anyway.: Thanks mamas.

#9 of 22 Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM

I know you said you weren't going to reply but...thought you'd be interested in the reply I sent to DH when he sent me the exact same article:

Quote:
Sigh….

"What concerns me is the trend of more and more people not vaccinating their children because of fears that vaccines cause autism — although no studies have proven this to be true," This is misleading, there are studies indicating a correlation. The former head of NIH recently was outspoken that scientists were too quick to dismiss the link. The head of the CDC recently said that the data they based their original conclusions on was FLAWED. Funny how they did not mention this in the article.

“"If this continues, we will see outbreaks throughout the entire developed world — something we have never seen before," he added” This is also misleading, as measles was as common or nearly as common in previous generations as chicken pox.

“"What you have to remember is that 250,000 children die from this virus every year,"” This is also misleading. They are using world numbers, where most of the deaths were most likely due to improper care and poor health/sanitation to begin with. This is a scare tactic to make it sound like this many people in the U.S. are going to die every year if the measles is widespread.

And again: http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/?p=149

Secondary vaccine failure resulting in increased potential for serious disease in both babies and adults, as a result of mass vaccination, isn’t the only glitch in the vaccine-created herd immunity system, either.

And

The article concludes with this “However, despite short-term success in eliminating the disease, long-range projections demonstrate that the proportion of susceptibles in the year 2050 may be greater than in the prevaccine era. Present vaccine technology and public health policy must be altered to deal with this eventuality.” So the end result will be the same number (or more) of susceptibles, but “distributed evenly thoroughout all age groups”. Since adults and infants have higher risk of Measles complications and fatality, the Measles eradication plan has resulted in higher risk to the overall population. Obviously the public health policy solution is more and more vaccination, more boosters for children and adolescents, and adults as well. A very short-sighted, questionable and expensive campaign to eliminate a self-limiting childhood disease.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#10 of 22 Old 07-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Oh my, is that really what most measles cases look like? (in the picture in the article)
I think they are probably using the worst possible picture they could find.
#11 of 22 Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
I think they are probably using the worst possible picture they could find.
The picture of my son covered in a rash as a allergic reaction to the vac. he got the day before is worse! I wish I had taken a picture of him, but I didn't. Pics like that are scare tactics! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
#12 of 22 Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM

I wouldn't respond to her either.

If she brings it up in conversation I'd say that Fox makes a fine source for entertainment if you're into that type of thing, but not news.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#13 of 22 Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Another who wouldn't respond. If she brought it up I would just ask if she was going to see her doctor to make sure she was up to date with all her shots because of her concern over the article.

blogging.jpg

#14 of 22 Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
lol. I thought the same. I'm taking the high road, not gonna say a word. I can't argue with someone who feeds her baby cheese doodles all day anyway.: Thanks mamas.
Reply with links regarding proper nutrition.

Then tell her that if your child is properly nourished, he or she is less likely to become ill, anyway.
#15 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I have a picture of myself with measles as a small child that looked similar - I was one giant measle! My two kids have also both had measles. Ds1 was 28 months and barely had a rash - we only realised he had something when his sister got it. Dd was 10 months and had a slight rash that was nothing like as bad as that pic. Seems to me that there is a huge ammount of variability and for what it's worth none of us had any ill effects from getting measles (aside from feeling cruddy for a few days).

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#16 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Her kids are vaxed and full of cheese doodles - what is she so worried about if your kids are not vaxed? She is doing the best she can I'm sure.
#17 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned

I'm definitely a REPLIER. LOL. I like confrontation! You could be kind and educate her, tell her that a few weeks of an uncomfortable rash is better than a lifetime of neurological disorders or <insert yucky effect>

Or, you could be snarky. :grin

Say, "wow, I hope my kids don't get that because that rash is going to look awful in our chirstmas pictures."

lol. no offense intended - I'm all talk I probably wouldn't say that either.
#18 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM

A vote for responding.

"Oh my, you must be so worried about your kids developing atypical measles because they have been vaccinated with the MMR. If you ever want a shoulder to cry on or just to chat about ways to protect your kids, give me a call."

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#19 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM

And the common cold can become complicated and kill. I guess if she's really worried she should just live in a bubble and leave you and yours alone to enjoy living in the real world.

I'm assuming she has your email address because you actually talk to each other. I think you should simply tell her you're aware of both sides of the issue, and while you appreciate her concern, you made an informed decision and she needs to respect that and let it be.
#20 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Just because it looks bad doesn't mean disability or death. I wish I had a picture of myself covered in hives from antibiotic prescribed to me for a UTI. The ER staff actually stopped what they were doing and stared.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#21 of 22 Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks mamas, this thread is 6 months old! I don't even talk to her anymore.

#22 of 22 Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I would send her this:

MMR Deaths

MMR Adverse Events

With the note:

"Thanks, but I think I'll take my chances with measles"
OMG! Just reading these makes my heart ache so bad!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page