unvaxed child, rubella, and 2nd pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you be concerned about catching rubella while you were pregnant with your second child if your first is not vaxed against this disease? I am assuming not on this board, but would like to know your reasoning... I have been talking to others who will not get pregnant unless their other children are vaxed for mmr, and I think that theoretically they could catch rubella from anyone that is unvaxed- adult, child, or anyone in between. any thoughts would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 AM

I would be a little worried about it, but it wouldn't stop me from getting pregnant.
#3 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 AM

Being around an un-vaxed child will not cause you to get the disease. In order for you to catch it, you have to be exposed to it. Un-vaxed children are not automatic carriers. Also, if you have developed immunity to rubella via exposure or immunization, then you have nothing to worry about. Most places routinely check your rubella immunity when you have your blood tests at the beginning of pregnancy. If you are immune (through exposure or immunization), then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Also, the likelihood of being exposed to rubella in the US is slim to none.

Read this article for more information about rubella cases in the US: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002493.html
#4 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by library lady View Post

Also, the likelihood of being exposed to rubella in the US is slim to none.
I wouldn't say that at all. But if I were concerned I'd be upping my vitamin A.

http://www.*********/v/rubella9.html

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Before or when you were pregnant the first time, weren't you tested for rubella antibodies? In Switzerland it's a routine test the OBGYN takes when a woman tries to get pregnant. I never had any symptoms of rubella, but I had enough antibodies. So maybe you were already exposed and don't have to worry at all because you already gained immunity. You can take a rubella titer so you have peace of conscience!
#6 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

I was and I had sufficient antibodies. If course that was March of 06, will they test me again if I get pregnant again soon (like within the next year). My son is unvaxxed.
#7 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would not be concerned. I wanted to catch rubella for 15+ years and had no luck. I was never vaccinated for rubella and thought it would be good to get the disease before having kids because of the small risk to fetuses, so had it on my radar from my teen years. No reason to think having an unvaxed child is going to increase my chance of exposure. I'd be exposed to it from whatever source he was exposed from. He isn't going to attract it magically from no where and we are usually in the same places. You don't catch rubella from someone who is unvaxed. You catch it from someone who has rubella.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#8 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirris View Post
would you be concerned about catching rubella while you were pregnant with your second child if your first is not vaxed against this disease? I am assuming not on this board, but would like to know your reasoning... I have been talking to others who will not get pregnant unless their other children are vaxed for mmr, and I think that theoretically they could catch rubella from anyone that is unvaxed- adult, child, or anyone in between. any thoughts would be great.
Yes, a pregnant woman could catch it from anyone... I don't know what your childcare arrangments are, but for me (since I only work very-part-time and DDis not in daycare) if she is exposed so as to get it, I probably would be, too, so vaccinating *her* doesn't seem like a great preventative. Also, I think most of the risk is in the first tri (so maybe just be extra careful about group situations/hand washing/etc at that point); even if you get rubella, I think the risk of damage to the baby is around 25%. I have a friend who caught Fifth Disease from her ds while pregnant with ds2, and ds2 was just fine.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#9 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I was and I had sufficient antibodies. If course that was March of 06, will they test me again if I get pregnant again soon (like within the next year). My son is unvaxxed.
You can ask to be tested beforehand, so you feel more peaceful. Were you ever vaccinated against rubella? If not and you showed antibodies, it may well mean that you contracted it once without having symptoms. You then would have acquired life-long immunity.
#10 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM

Being vaxed means nothing either. My oldest two were vaccinated, and when #3 got it, so did they. I carry absolutely no titers, after being vaxed as a child and three times as an adult. However, I did not develop rubella when the children had it, nor did my unborn Sam have any of the symptoms that are supposed to develop with prenatal exposure.

The immune system is an unpredictable beast.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#11 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you showed antibodies in 2006, I would not be worried.

I showed antibodies with my pregnancy in 2006 and I plan to get pregnant this winter with an unvaxed child in the house. I am not worried.
#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about it for all of the reasons stated by previous posters. If you are worried, you could always have your titers checked. Even if you haven't been vaccinated, you might be surprised to find out you have rubella titers. It's such a mild disease that I think in about 50% of the cases (can't remember the exact statistic) people don't even know they have it!

I would definitely rather take my chances with getting rubella than getting the MMR vaccination. And I'm trying to get pregnant now with my second baby and my first is completely unvaccinated.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#13 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
If you showed antibodies in 2006, I would not be worried.

I showed antibodies with my pregnancy in 2006 and I plan to get pregnant this winter with an unvaxed child in the house. I am not worried.
Cool. I was curious, but I wondered what they would have done if I had not shown antibodies. Try to vax me? Tell me to stay inside for the first trimester?
#14 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 PM

It's the status of the mother that matters, not anyone she comes in contact with.

When I was preg, my blood test revealed that despite being vaxed for rubella as a child, I had no immunity to it. I was given the option to vax right then and there, but it made absolutely no sense to be to do so. My immunity had faded (if I ever had it), but I never developed the disease. So, exposing myself and my fetus to the pathogen seemed like an unnecessary risk to take.

My son is not vaxed, and I am not re-vaxing myself. I hope to have more children in the future.

For me, the risks of the MMR vaccine are scarier than the risks of getting M,M, or R, pregant or not.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page