Do you have a supportive family? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you have a supportive family?
Yes 63 41.72%
No 39 25.83%
Other 49 32.45%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mixed support...AND my husband and I don't agree on the issue...but so far my oldest is three and unvaccinated, my 11 month old isn't either...
#32 of 59 Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

My husband's parents likely think I should vax but keep quiet about it. My parents think I should vax and I've had several exhausting discussions about it with my dad. I think ultimately they respect the fact that it's my choice as a parent, but they don't support the decision, if that makes sense.
#33 of 59 Old 08-11-2008, 01:23 AM

I voted No. But Dh is very supportive and that is what matters the most

My mom is very pro-vax, i have a 3yr old brother & 2yr old sister and they are fully vaxed, their Ped is Dr Sears.

MIL thinks that i shouldn't know what's inside the vaccines

FIL i don't think he'd care if he knew

My Dad seems pretty supportive
Mt Stempmom pretty supportive also, she thinks the Gadasil vax is beyond pointless

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#34 of 59 Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
However, my parents have called me up and got on my case about it. My mom's mom had polio and "You don't think she called us to make sure you had your shots?" Well, just because grandma was nosey, it doesn't mean you have to be also. They also tried to tell me that my mother loves my daughter more than I do and since she loves my daughter more, I should listen to her about vaccinations.

Meanwhile, my parents also got my 19 year old brother on my case about it. UGH!
My mom had polio and I still don't vax. Depending on her age she may have gotten polio from the vaccine.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#35 of 59 Old 08-11-2008, 02:28 PM

My family doesn't care, because they don't view not vaccinating/selectively vaccinating as something that is hurting my children. They aren't shouting from the rooftops that my kids aren't fully vaccinated (I stopped with my DD at 18 months, and my baby hasn't received any, and won't for several years), but they don't argue with me about it.

My IL's don't have a say in the matter.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#36 of 59 Old 08-11-2008, 05:12 PM

I voted other. They are supportive...I dont think any of them have ever taken the time to research so I dont think they have opinions that strong on it.

My mom is on our team..LOL...but I dont think she could hold up in a debate with a doc or anything. LOL

Desiree

#37 of 59 Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 AM

I voted 'other'.

My dad was thrilled, he is completely anti-vax. My mom was fine with whatever we wanted to do as long as we did our research.

My MIL is a school nurse and is very by the book. She thought it was stupid that we were skipping them but she said we are the parents so she'll respect our decisions. FIL has no opinion on anything, ever.

I'm Amy wife to Joe 11/06 and mommy to Aubrey 3/08 and Levi 4/10
#38 of 59 Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM

I voted other. My mother was more confused than anything. She worked with MR children and believes in the autism/vaccine connection. But her sister is a nurse and has a hard time when talking to her about these issue. I just don't speak to my aunt and that is how I deal with it!

My husband fully supports my decision to not vaccinate. Both of us lived over seas as children and know how rediculous the scheduling is for vaccines. We also know about being vaccinated against your will...
#39 of 59 Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 AM

I have to say "other" just because it's 50/50 like other pp's have mentioned.

Actually my inlaws will be the kids' guardians should anything happen to dh and I and this is one of the reasons. If my parents were to get the kids they would have them vaxed immediately. My mom thinks I'm completely wrong, even though she won't listen to any of my research.

My MIL OTOH totally respects that I've done tons of research. She hasn't done the research and we haven't talked about it a whole lot but I know she respects my decision. I firmly believe that if MIL got the kids she would do a bunch of research as well. I can't say 100% that she would come to the same conclusion though.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#40 of 59 Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 AM

Other.

My aunt and great-grandma don't really understand why I am not, and they're both pretty set in their ways. They think I'm taking a risk with my sons health, but don't give me grief on it. They pretty much feel I'm the parent and it's my choice.

My inlaws don't know because they won't support us. My son probably wouldn't be allowed to play with other kids on that side of the family. He would be treated like a freak. So I keep my mouth shut.

MIL did ask when we visited when he was 4 months old if he'd had his shots yet. "No, we're delaying." We are. Forever. End of story.

I don't offer up the info and I try to steer the conversation away from it. It's no one's business imo and I don't want my child ostracised.

My dh is 100% with me on not vaxing, and that is what is important.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#41 of 59 Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 AM

I voted other.
The only family member who knows we no longer vax,is my sister,who was the one to figure out that DD had a vax reaction.She doesn't vax either.
Just last week, my mom found out about all of the shots DC get these days. I just shook my head, and said something like,"yeah,mom,welcome to parenting in the world where hollywood,pharma,medical,and insurance industries try to have the BIGGEST influence on our Dc's lives."

I would never,ever tell any other family members-simplynot their beeswax!
#42 of 59 Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 AM

My parents are not happy about it but don't give us grief either, my IL's know that we fully educate ourselves before making these decisions and support us.
#43 of 59 Old 08-17-2008, 01:03 AM

My family is not supportive.
My mum has stopped fighting with me over it for now.
That is a step in the right direction I guess.
#44 of 59 Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM

Other
IL's very hostile about not vax (for now they think it is delayed vax)
My parents very supportive.

DH more and more seeing that I might have a point

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#45 of 59 Old 09-07-2008, 06:46 PM

i voted other. on my side, i believe only my dad knows that we are not vaccinating. my dad is supportive but i think the rest of the family would be hostile about it. most of dh's family knows that we don't vaccinate, his parents are supportive enough though they were worried at first. they feel we are good parents. the rest of his family talks behind my back about it though. they think i made the decision by myself and certain family members seemed to jump at the chance last year when dh and i nearly divorced to try and butt me out of the picture, i believe in hopes to convince dh what a stupid parent i am/was and that he should have ds fully vaccinated immediately, etc. dh thinks i am a good parent though and after we discussed vaccinations in length he was in full agreement about not vaccinating.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#46 of 59 Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

I voted other. My mom thinks we are going the "delayed" route. She gets VERY nervous when we talk about it, always saying "well, you are going to get the important ones, right?" I just nod?

I plan on keeping it a secret from the rest of my large family(2 sisters, 3 brothers) because not one of them would understand. In fact, my sister's hubby is a Dr and I know it would only be a fight every time I see them if they knew the truth about how we vaccinate my daughter. It feels so weird having to keep this big secret from people I care about but I don't see any alternative. I like what one person said above that you can't untell someone that you don't vax.....so true!!

Thankfully my DH believes in my choice not to vax my daughter. It bothers/frightens me a little that he does no research about it - he just trusts my instincts - but I wonder if something did go wrong - like she got polio or something CRAZY like that (which I know will never happen) - would he blame me? I feel like the burden of "proof" of our decision not to vax rests solely on my shoulders and at times it is quite a burden to bear....???
#47 of 59 Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post

Hahaha, our families would probably freak out if we did vax.
Same here. My siblings and I are unvaxed and so are Dh and his siblings.
#48 of 59 Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 PM

I had to choose other.

MIL is Ok with it...concerned, but ok and willing to listen

My mom has passed and is spinning in her grave over the fact that DD is vax free. Mom was a public health nurse in charge of well child care for the city. She was very proud of the fact that she was the one that got all the new grant programs in place for our cities free/low cost vaccination program.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#49 of 59 Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM

My parents support almost all our choices-
we do not talk about it anymore but
they wish we vaxed and baptised....the 2 big issues
#50 of 59 Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM

I said yes, because my family supports my choice to not vax 100% (well, my grandmother's expressed some concerns as she remembers the polio scares of her youth, but she trusts my judgment.) I perhaps should have said Other, though, since my in-laws are pro-vax and while no one has ever said anything to me about it, and I suppose that's a way of being respectful (or at least nonconfrontational) - they don't actually support the choice.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#51 of 59 Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM

I voted other. Some family members know and some don't. The biggest issue I face is getting past the delayed part to a we aren't part. They are supportive of waiting but a little freaked out about not. No arguments or anything, just "concern". If anyone does give me a hassle, I will give them lots of research to read and then "we can talk"!! I do feel though that it has a lot to do with just being raised in this society and the emphasis on how great or curing they are. It is not something that everyone researches and is more or less an automatic yes I vax and it's the right thing to do. That's what's been taught.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#52 of 59 Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't discuss it with anyone, I really don't care what they think.
#53 of 59 Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

I have very supportive parents, ILs and brothers and sisters BECAUSE I forced them to do the research LOL
MIL looked at me like I had 2 heads when I first brought it up during my pregnancy, she then proclaimed that she would never even vaccinate her pets after the research she had done.

The ONLY people that aren't supportive - ok the only person - is my ignorant SIL who goes out of her way to contradict people to make herself feel smarter. She didn't even bother looking into it at all because she took a 2 year certificate program on biotechnology (and is working in accounting because she was only qualified to test the sugar contents of a Halls coughdrop!) and she claims they "studied" the immune system. She also doesn't want her kids playing with unvax'd kids, and claims it's borderline abuse (YUP - she's one of those)

I must say that I'm pretty lucky to have the support that I do because I feel that the weight of the decision not to vax our son is spread evenly thoughout my support system - huge help!
#54 of 59 Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 AM

They support US as parents, but I am not sure whether they support our DECISION necessarily.
#55 of 59 Old 09-13-2008, 04:41 AM

Yeah, I voted a big fat other! Thats because no one knows. My parents would be hugely un-supportive to the point where they would probably call CPS because non-vax=abuse to them. I just don't mention it, and they never ask. My DH's side of the family isn't that hardcore about it, and while we haven't told them, I don't think they would be un-supportive. They would at least respect us as parents.
#56 of 59 Old 10-18-2008, 02:17 AM

My parents would be disappointed if we *did* vaccinate our baby! Neither I nor my siblings were vaccinated as kids, and they've always assumed we'd follow suit.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#57 of 59 Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd say that they support it in that they don't badger us about vaxing nor keep going on about it. They know our opinion and stand on it and they leave it at that.

They don't support it though as a choice they'd make for themselves. My mother gets her flu shot every year and all my ILs kids are vaxed.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#58 of 59 Old 10-18-2008, 04:43 PM

i voted other. my parents are reasonably supportive, but they kind of think we will do some kind of vaxing at some point. they don't know we're basically 100% not vaccinating.

ILs don't know. they are big into getting vaxed themselves and FIL has talked about those "crazy non-vaxers" so we don't talk to them about vax. they just assume we do it.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#59 of 59 Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM

My side is totally supportive. My sister isn't vaxing her LO either,My parents are all 4 it!

My DH side not so much.His mom is against HPV and thats it. She's made it clear that these diseases are fatal and She ALWAYS made sure her kids were UTD. Then his grandmother flipped out at the "we're not vaxing" news.She's def. not supportive of that choice, oh well, she's not educated about vaxes either. Maybe if ppl would look at the facts (&the ingredients) they'd see things in a diff. light

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page