When HIB strikes - what to do if you don't vaccinate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No vaccine Baby!

Some background

I initially decided to wait for the first three months since my baby was at home.
In the processes I discarded more and more vaccines for different reasons for each disease.
I thought he had to be in day care by three and a half months so I was considering Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis and HIB

Thanks God, he is under the care of my best friend's grandmother at her home. So I decided to wait until he was 6 months old.

As weeks of research passed by, I discarded Diphtheria because I believe it to be a hygiene issue, I discarded Tetanus since I believe I need to watchful and have 'ledum' available if he gets any scraps, especially puncture ones (I perform a full body screen at bath time) Nothing so far.
I discarded Pertussis, because I am willing to do the 3 week marathon around the block care in case he gets it (keep him upright, wait for the cough attack/vomit, feed him and provide liquids, start again)

Then, I was down to HIB.
Well, this is a tricky one for me, if he should get it, I have no idea how to take care of it. I haven’t find any information besides run to the ER and hope for the best.

According to CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/ed/vpd20...ides/Hib10.ppt

Cases are 68 per year

Risk factors are:
Household crowding
Large household size
Child Care attendance
Low socioeconomic status
low parental education
School age siblings

I decided not to vaccinate because the risk factors are not applicable to my son, with the exception of school-aged siblings,(The nanny grandchildren ages 7 and 9) and with around 68 cases a year (according to the higher numbers I found) the risk is close to zero. I didn’t get that vaccine myself.

Close to Zero is not zero, so I wanted to ask you, how to prevent, how to recognize the disease, what to do about it, any (unfortunate) experience with a kid getting a serious case? Any natural remedies, care protocol?
#2 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Symptoms of meningitis: (from "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.)

A stiff neck, (but not necessarily)
Convulsions (in infants)
Shrill cry
Drowsiness, persistent headache, vomiting, fever

You can distinguish meningitis from influenza by the presence of the shrill cry and stiff neck.

Antibiotics MUST be given for bacterial meningitis, and ASAP.

What follows is no longer from the book:

They will determine at the hospital whether it is bacterial or viral meningitis. While they are waiting for the test results, they will probably start antibiotics just in case it is bacterial.

How to prevent: breastfeed and keep your child healthy. Hib is everywhere; you or I might have it in our bodies right now. It's going to usually stay harmless unless it's given an opportunity to take over. Hib bacteria is only one of the causes of meningitis, and meningitis can be viral or bacterial. Viral meningitis is not as serious, and goes away on its own without specific treatment.
#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Meningitis is a physical condition, like a broken arm; you cannot vaccinate against it. The Hib vaccine only protects against a particular bacteria; it is actually so effective that the bacteria has been virtually eliminated in the US population. The effect on the overall cases of meningitis? 0%.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 PM

IME an illness is an illness (diarrhea illnesses being a bit different than all the other stuff). For Hib more than others--almost everyone became immune without needing hospitalization or extreme measures before we had this vaccine. The rare ones were the ones whose infection with Hib became meningitis.

For example--my kids seemed to have a really slight cold recently when we happened to have an appt with our DO who does cranial-sacral therapy for them. I mentioned it and she looked in their throats, and saw white streaks and asked if we knew anyone with strep. I said no, and didn't see the need for a strep culture. Maybe it was strep, but the kids seemed just a little "off" and were back to normal in a day or two, and I think it was because I treated it like every other illness we get--vitC (lots), continue the CLO, a bit healthier, easier-to-digest foods than normal (gotta love soup) and they dealt with it fine.
#5 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMom0208 View Post
Close to Zero is not zero, so I wanted to ask you, how to prevent, how to recognize the disease, what to do about it, any (unfortunate) experience with a kid getting a serious case? Any natural remedies, care protocol?
how to prevent - breastfeed

How to recognize - stiff neck, shrill cry

what to do about it - get to the doctor ASAP. They need antibiotics.

This is another reason why not using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary is important. If your child actually ended up with a serious case...the antibiotics will do what they are supposed to do. My doc does not prescribe antibiotics for sore throats, ear aches, etc.
#6 of 7 Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you girls!

I am fighting low milk production with the help of a lactation consultant, so my baby only has 4-7oz of breast milk a day, the rest is parent's choice organic formula.

I never do antibiotics even for myself, (ok, once for a persistent sinus infection) so I would avoid them as much as possible for ds.

I guess I just need to be wachful and use some common sense.
Dh is not convinced we should skip all vaccines, but wants to delay until baby is 9 months to have time to research more.

I think it is going to be just fine
#7 of 7 Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM

I used SA for a recent sinus infection and it worked after a few days of use. I do know that SI can be so painful that you can't wait.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page