Does anyone BOTTLEFEED and NOT VACCINATE their child? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really don't want to get vaccinations for my baby. But unfortunately, breast feeding isn't working for me. I am having to feed her formula. I hear such good things about the immunities in breast milk and it seems everyone I know who dosen't vaccinate breast feeds their child.

Is there anyone here who dosent vaccinate and feeds their baby formula? Has your baby contracted any diseases?

I want to make sure she will still be protected with formula.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 30 Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 PM

We ff'ed our first DD and she had a nasty bout of rotavirus at about 11 months. No biggie, though, no complications whatsoever. Other than that, she had one ear infection at 5 mo.

Our second was on every formula and breastmilk for medical issues back and forth. She's never had any illnesses at all ever, knock on wood, but was only breastfed from maybe 4-8 months.

It didn't impact our decision to not vax. I think breastfeeding has awesome benefits esp. as far as immunity goes, but that's if your child comes in contact with these diseases. Our dds weren't in daycare and even around other kids indoors very much at all, so we never ran across them let alone had to fight them off. They have very few of the other risk factors, if any. They also have immune-boosters in other ways (organic, homemade baby food, fresh air, exercise, etc.).

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)
#3 of 30 Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM

I ff'd both of my babies. Since they were adopted, I also had to vax them up to six months (ie. finalization). But I would absolutely not vax while ff'ing if I were given that opportunity. You can add Baby Jarro (or other baby probiotics) and Vit C to formula to help boost their immune system if you need to. But, like the PP said, it really only becomes an issue if you child is exposed to the disease(s).
#4 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Due to 'no supply' issues, I have to FF.
My child is almost 6 months old, no vaxes, and he is perfectly healthy. I do use probiotics and powdered colostrum as supplements. I have SA on hand just in case I notice any symptoms arise.

You are not alone.
#5 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM

I breastfed up to 4 months but then went back to work FT and my supply went down dramatically, also didn't have time to pump at work and we turned to FF. From 4 months-11 months, we FF. DS is now 16 months and he hasn't had a darn thing *knock on wood*. I also feed him a strictly organic diet- minimal dairy and meat and more beans, fruits and veggies ect..
#6 of 30 Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 PM

My first was formula fed, as was my third, and not vaxed. They never contracted the diseases until they were older (and in school)

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#7 of 30 Old 08-15-2008, 11:28 AM

My twins were bf until 4 months old. My supply was never that great and with certain circumstances (preemies, colicky, etc.) I started to dry and had to ff. My twins are 29 months old now and have had 4 runny noses due to teething, and only 2 colds (cough, slight fever) since birth. Completely healthy little girls...

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 AM

So - if a child ends up being formula fed and NOT vax'd, what are the recommendations to maintain their health? I read about organic diets, homeopathy, etc. And what is SA? What does it stand for and how is it used?

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
#9 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 AM

Yup. DS was formula fed and not vaccinated. While breastfeeding may provide better immunity, the vaccines are still dangerous and contain the same ingredients whether you bf or ff. At least, that's how I see it.

We never did anything special to "maintain his health". We just washed our hands, fed him organic once he got into solid foods, and just generally used common sense.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#10 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJez View Post
So - if a child ends up being formula fed and NOT vax'd, what are the recommendations to maintain their health? I read about organic diets, homeopathy, etc. And what is SA? What does it stand for and how is it used?
I would say use common sense about exposure. Don't overexpose them to populations where there's a risk. And good probiotics never hurt anyone. BioGaia makes a good probiotic for babies. Vit C suppl helps. Good hygeine - stressing the importance of washing hands. Once my baby was born, I made sure everyone who walked into our home washed their hands and anyone slightly sick wasn't able to hold him.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 AM

My girls were ff'd and we stopped vax'ing at 6 months. TBH I never even thought about any problems we might encounter due to ff'ing.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#12 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 PM

soren (almost 5 months) gets formula, probiotics and no vax. as of now nothing to speak of. he did catch a cold, but that's b/c his brother had a cold and WILL NOT BACK AWAY from him. he loves his brother, "SO MUCH" (imagine squeezing someone so hard you squish them -- smother them in kisses, etc.)
#13 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmama82 View Post

I want to make sure she will still be protected with formula.
Your child won't have the benefit of your immunities from everyday bugs, or VADs that you may have been exposed to; adding vax would only magnify that disadvantage. Not vaxing allows their immune system to develop the best it can with the diet it is provided with.

SA is sodium ascorbate; it is a powder form of Vitamin C that can be added to food and drink.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#14 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Hi,

Due to unresolved low production issues, my baby is over 90% on formula.
I think he would be EVEN better prepared to fight disease if he was mainly on breastmilk.
However, even going directly to the cdc I didn't personally feel any more ocnfident on vax effectiveness or safety.

Being on formula didn't really affect my decisionof no vax
#15 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Mama, you sound worried about moving to formula. If that's the case, make sure you've spoken with a lactation consultant and La Leche League leader about resolving your breastfeeding issues. You could even post in the breastfeeding forums here.

If you've already done that, exhausting all possibilities, then I would do as Emmeline II suggested and add SA to the formula (in what amount I do not know), and I would also add Probiotics and EFA's. I would NOT buy the formula with added DHA/AHA because of this http://cornucopia.org/DHA/DHA_FullReport.pdf I would add good quality EFA's myself.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#16 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM

I don't see the two issues as related. The immunities from BFing are not permanant.
#17 of 30 Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM

I had to supplement with formula for both kids. Dd weaned very early (5mo) and I ff her until 1yo. Unfortunately back then I didn't know about vaxes so she got them all. (including her 3yo shots but none after that). Ds was also supplemented but he nursed a little longer (till 9.5mo). He's never had a vax. Dd has had 2 or 3 ear infections, general colds/flu, thrown up a few times. Ds had a weird rash last year that I'm pretty sure was roseola and a couple colds. That's it.
#18 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

What are probiotics and powdered colostrum? Can you tell me more about them? Where do you buy them? When do you use them- when your baby gets sick or to keep them healthy? Also, what is SA???? THanks!!
#19 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Question to those moms who have formula fed and had healthy babies- how do you protect them as infants or under one year old when they are in public? Do you take them to the mall or grocery store? Do you take them to public places? How do you keep them away from the germs? Do you just carry on normally or avoid certain places? Do you just make sure people don't come near him/her?

Thanks!!!!
#20 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM

If your still nursing have you checked out the Breastfeeding with problem area? They might have helpful tips on doing both and keeping what supply you do have to work for you. Just thought Id throw that out there
#21 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm a BFAR case where I had no supply so I had to FF. I am choosing not to vax just as if I had BF.

For me I tried to make an educated decision between the disease and the vax. I asked things like what are the complications from the diease? How common is it? What are complications from the vax? How common is it?

I did this for each vax.

For me the couple of scarier diseases hardly ever occur in the US for decades so I felt OK skipping those. I actually felt the risks of the vax outweighed the rish of the disease. The other diseases I didn't see the point in taking the risk for such a low-risk disease. This eliminated all vaxes for me.

I take my baby out just as if I had vaxed. I just pactice basic cold prevention like washing our hands when ever we come home. IMO the baby needs exposure to mild germs to build up their immune system.
#22 of 30 Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM

My twins were ff and we stopped vaxing at 6 mo. I've always taken them out a lot and they were in daycare for two months when they were about 14 mo old. They had runny noses the entire time they were in daycare, and they got pink eye, and later had roseola (not during the time they were in daycare). One had a bad ear infection during the daycare era, the other has never had one. Other than that they get a runny nose here and there. We use kids echinacea and vit C if I notice they're coming down w/ something, but it hasn't happened very much. I do use probiotics with one of the boys but more because I notice a difference in his behavior, not because of illness, although I'm sure it helps.

I don't really worry about the fact that they are unvaccinated and not BF, I obsess more over the guilt that I didn't BF.

And I don't know what SA is either!
#23 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 AM

I personally would just go with Organic Formula if at all possible . . . Baby's Only, Nature's One is great and lots of bang for your buck.
#24 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Question to those moms who have formula fed and had healthy babies- how do you protect them as infants or under one year old when they are in public? Do you take them to the mall or grocery store? Do you take them to public places? How do you keep them away from the germs? Do you just carry on normally or avoid certain places? Do you just make sure people don't come near him/her?

Thanks!!!!
Hey Mama,
There is no need for your child to live in a bubble just because he/she isn't vaccinated. Do you think that vaccinating your baby is going to keep him/her from getting sick? If so, I would say you need to keep doing your research so you can get confident in the decisions you are making.
I take my child everywhere, have never worried about germs, and he has never been ill.
Look at it this way, You are not polluting his immune system and immature little body with toxins from the vaccines, actually giving him an advantage over his vaccinated counterparts. He/she is better able to fight off germs and sickness because he doesn't have a compromised immune system. Some unvaxed children develop natural immunities without ever getting sick or showing symptoms. However, I do think that probiotics should be introduced anyway...and powdered colostrum helps keep the probioitics in place longer (We know that most of our immune system is located in the gut, when you have a bowel movement, you lose a good chunk of your gut flora. so its always a good idea to keep good flora going in to replace what is lost. This, can help boost immunity.)

Regardless, I really don't think you need to worry about the formula feeding aspect of this. I know we both understand the benefits of breastmilk. If you are unable to breastfeed, but still want some of the benefits of BM, why not look into MilkShare? You can find a local BFing mama who might want to donate milk to you, given your situation.

(I tried to PM you back but it says you are not accepting PMs). If you need anything or have any questions, just email me. Nethridge1@yahoo.com
#25 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What are probiotics and powdered colostrum? Can you tell me more about them? Where do you buy them? When do you use them- when your baby gets sick or to keep them healthy? Also, what is SA???? THanks!!
Here's the Wikipedia page on probiotics which gives a decent explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic I don't know about the U.S., but in Canada we buy them at local health food stores. Look for one designed for infants specifically. It comes in powder formatted that needs to be refrigerated and can be added to any liquid (so mixed into formula if you are formula feeding). For my breastfed kids, I start them on it once they are eating solids and I just mix some in with their water.

SA is "sodium ascorbate" AKA Vitamin C. This version is apparently most soluble for the body and won't be as hard on teeth as the ascorbic acid variety/

Can't give you any info on powdered colostrum because I have never heard of it!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#26 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Hey mama,
I also want to urge you to explore MDC a little and learn more about breastfeeding issues. It's very possible for many women to get their supplies back if they take away bottles and spend a lot of time in bed with just skin to skin contact with their little ones. You could also try a supplemental nurser to feed your babe and increase your supply. Call LLL and get a local mama to help you.

If this isn't possible, you also might want to look at finding your tribe to see about donor milk in your area.

I agree with everyone else that vaxing and formula are two separate issues.
#27 of 30 Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM

For all three of my children (and I'm pregnant with my fourth), I was able to breastfeed for about four months and then things dried up, much to the dismay of me and lactation consultants. I did everything possible, took every herb, drank every tea, ate every food ('cept avocadoes *blech*) and at 4 months, I'm done.

My son has had some vaccinations, my two daughters have had none at all. They have very good immune systems and other than standard coughs and colds, have not been sick with any diseases (childhood included).
#28 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Though it is unfortunate when we must rely on formula for our babies, I have 5 unvaccinated children and breastfed 4 of them for atleast 18 months but my last was not thriving and I was not able to increase my milk supply so at about 6 weeks I put him on the formula.

Now, of course breastfeeding is best but vaccines are not the answer here. They will not give your baby a stronger immune system or make up for the formula feeding. They will instead, compromise the immune system and make it even harder to overcome the illnesses that are inevitable. I took him wherever I wanted and did not shelter him in any way and he has 4 sister all who were in public school at the time. He hasn't been sick and he hasn't contracted any of the VPD's that you are worried about. And if he had of, he would have been much better able to deal with them with an intact immune system rather than one that has been tampered with through vaccination. I would conclude that it is especially important not to vaccinate when you must formula feed! They need their immune systems to be at their best! Vaccines do not give them immunity anyway and so by learning all that you can, you will realize that the only good choice is to NOT vaccinate.

Blessings
#29 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!!!
My dd is ff and extremely healthy. The only time she has ever had a fever was after her vaccines, which we have now stopped.

FF babies might not have the immunological benefits of breastmilk, but they still have an immune system. We expose dd to everything we can. We put her on the floors of public places if that is where she wants to go.

I'm not worried about her getting sick at all.

She also gets adjusted regularly at the chiro.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#30 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!!!

When my DS was younger than 1, I went everywhere I wanted to with him. I had a cart cover to shield him from extra stuff but have since eliminated that now that he is 16 months. I usually wipe down the cart with a wipe before I put him in it (I refuse to let him in those kid carts with a bus or car in the front of the cart- he's too young for that anyway but maybe later down the road when he knows to wach his hands). I always keep the 3 foot distance rule. Most common airborne germs can't make it further than 3 feet. We don't have friends with young children so having young ones touch him and play wasn't part of his life back then. As far as people go.. everyone around here wants to touch my kid. I live around a lot of older people and I usually don't say anything. After we walk away, I wipe his hand down. I'm still a little on edge with the germs in this world because of the antiobiotic resistance strains out there. I'm "calming" down more each day especially now that he's getting older and is super strong/healthy.

Feeding him a healthy diet also contributes to his health and germ fighting ability. I used to be so worried all the time since he is my first and I was wondering if I was doing the right thing (even though I know I am).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page