has anyone ever caught a disease from your child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! My child, at 11 months, is vaccine free and will stay that way. I am just curious, has any one of you ever contracted a disease after caring for your child (whooping cough, measles, etc?) I was vaccinated and know that it all has long 'worn off'. I know that it is inevitable after caring for a child with whooping cough, etc, but would like to hear any experiences with this.
Thanks!
#2 of 23 Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Eh, just rotavirus. Caught it from DS when I was pregnant with DD1, then caught it again (along with DD1, from LLL this time) when I was pregnant with DD2. Even if we were vaccinating, I don't think we would have done the rotavirus vax though.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 23 Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter and I both had pertussis (whooping cough) a few years back, when she was 2. I don't know if I gave it to her, if she gave it to me, or if we both got it from someone else. DH didn't get sick.
#4 of 23 Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 PM

I haven't, which is ironic considering that every time I have a hospital birth they demand that I get a rubella vax because I don't have the immunity. However, I nursed three kids through rubella with no symptoms. so

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#5 of 23 Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Whooping cough (he was vaxed, I never was)
#6 of 23 Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pertussis. DH had it first, DD1 got it, from the time line, I think DD1 gave it to me, and also DD2.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 23 Old 08-23-2008, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In the 1970s, a woman I worked for got chicken pox from her DDs. Beyond that, no, she never got a VPD from them. She was born in 1946, was an only child and there were quarantines in her neighborhood when she grew up, so she was only exposed on occasion at school.

That is my experience.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#8 of 23 Old 08-23-2008, 11:58 AM

I got rotavirus from my son. He was vaxxed, except for the rotavirus one. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever been through. Dare I say it, I was actually a wee bit glad when I got sick because I had a huge excuse for DH to change his nasty poop diapers.
#9 of 23 Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Nope, not a thing. But he's only 15 months old.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#10 of 23 Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 AM

Just colds

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM

How did you know you had Rotavirus? Last year we had vomiting and diarrhea seriously for a few days. My son had diarrhea for about a week. It was nasty, but we were only really sick for a few days.

I am just curious how you know?

So far, if we caught anything from our child that was a VPD, I guess it could have been Rotavirus, but I don't know for sure. I am somewhat expecting to get whooping cough because I have heard of so many cases around us recently. I don't know if my immunity to that would have worn off from the vaccine or if I ever had the WC vaccine.
#12 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM

whooping cough

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#13 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Nope.
#14 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 AM

My son had rota virus-almost died from it actually due to electrolyte imbalances. I know that in the hospital they cultured his stool as the only positive way to know it was rotavirus. At the time there were other nasty bugs going around, but I guess the lab confirned the diagnosis. The nurses said that quite often people will think they have rota, but don't. Apparantly the excruciating cramping is another sign-I know my son was in true pain, not just discomfort.
#15 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Sorry to hear about how sick your son was...that's scary!!!

It makes me wonder though if we had it. My son was literally flopping around and screaming from cramping. A couple of times he literally cried for a whole hour from cramping. I never took him to the doc so I don't know if he had rotavirus or not. I never thought it was serious enough to go to the doc for us. Can you do a titer to check?
#16 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Thanks-he's a healthy 6 y/o now. He had rota as an infant. I don't know about titers. I just remember the RN's saying that the cramping and pain from rota was severe and often prolonged over the life of the illness. It hit us hard and fast, but I had the same experience with ds crying in pain. I've never felt so helpless. I always thought we'd be able to ride illnesses out with my good care and attention but this was a serious heads up thta sometimes these illnesses do take a turn that you've not expected. Anyway, sorry to hear of your son's experience as well.
#17 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM

ya know what ..that is such a good question...

I have never even gotten a cold or anything.
i can't remember the last time i was vaxed...hmmmmm
oh my! all these nasty diseases!! and i'm not vaccinated!

ya think they would make it mandatory for us too.

I'm not worried about it really... not in the least and there is no way on earth they will stick me with any of those vaccines.
#18 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM

No, and I don't expect to. I've worked in Daycare and other forms of child care for the past 7 years, so if I was going to catch it, I likely would have by now!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#19 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
How did you know you had Rotavirus? Last year we had vomiting and diarrhea seriously for a few days. My son had diarrhea for about a week. It was nasty, but we were only really sick for a few days.

I am just curious how you know?

So far, if we caught anything from our child that was a VPD, I guess it could have been Rotavirus, but I don't know for sure. I am somewhat expecting to get whooping cough because I have heard of so many cases around us recently. I don't know if my immunity to that would have worn off from the vaccine or if I ever had the WC vaccine.
It has a smell unlike anything else on this earth. Probably the nastiest smell I've ever dealt with, at least in normal daily life.

My family passes colds around to each other (like the one we ALL got, all at the same time, the other day and are still dealing with this weekend). Generally it comes from hubby's workplace and I'll come down with it first, but hubby generally gets it last. We call him a Typhoid Mary. Other times it's when DS and I go to the Children's Museum or another kid-focused place, and usually he'll get it first then. This time we're just mystified what hit us.
#20 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 PM

I've never gotten a vpd from dd, and she's never gotten a vpd. Well, we've both gotten the flu, and we don't know if she got the chicken pox a few years ago. But she has gotten me sick many times. Basically, how it goes is, other kids in her class get sick, she brings it home and gives it to me, but she stays perfectly healthy. Brat!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#21 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope besides a cold.

but my daughter is fully vaxed

son is vaxed til 4months.

I hope to get the chicken pox if my son ever gets them to prove to my mom i'm not going to die from them She keeps telling me that i'm going to die if i get it, because i'm not immune to them .* according to the blood draw at the 1st prenatal when i was pg with my daughter and again when i was pg with my son* but was exposed alot as a child but never got them.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#22 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM

DD never got any of the illnesses that there are vaxes for and I had chicken pox as a child, anyway so that one was a non issue if she had ever got it.
#23 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
DD never got any of the illnesses that there are vaxes for and I had chicken pox as a child, anyway so that one was a non issue if she had ever got it.
same for my kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page