waiver of 'responsibility' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been calling around lately in an effort to find a family doctor for my unborn daughter. Personally, I would rather not even have one but her father insists on it, so I'm doing my best to find someone. It certainly isn't an easy task as hand, I can tell you that. Many doctors won't even treat children who aren't vaccinated - at least in my area (lebanon, pa - between hershey and lancaster, outside philly).

But here is my big ... button, I suppose. When I ask if they will treat her without her being vaccinated they tell me that they strongly recommend it but if I choose not to then I have to sign a form saying that I take responsibility for anything that happens to her as a result of my 'not allowing' her to be vaccinated.

Why do I have to sign a form saying I take responsibility if something happens to her bc I choose not to vaccinate while the drs don't have to sign a damn thing saying they take responsibility if something happens to her bc they promised me they were safe and effective?

But here is my even bigger question:

Who exactly is responsible then when the vaccine doesn't work? If she develops a rash and fever and has to go to the hospital, who is responsible then? If she becomes autistic due to the vaccine, who is responsible then? If the vaccine ends up killing her, who is responsible then?

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#2 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Well, certainly not the doctor or manufacturer. I wouldn't worry too much about the whole waiver thing, just don't sign anything you're not comfortable with. Ask them to make a handwritten statement for you to sign or make one yourself. Really most doctors are just looking for release from liability and a statement saying you've discussed them and were informed by them, whether you did or were or not. They don't want sued. Are you looking at family doctors? Have you tried the finding your tribe forum for your area? Maybe post there asking for recommendations for no vax/ selective vax friendly doctors for your area.

blogging.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I'm definitely not signing anything like that. While I am uncomfortable with the idea of signing something, I also don't believe I should have to do that. But a handwritten statement is a good idea.

As far as family doctors, they seem to be more adverse to my decision where as the pediatricans I have called haven't been so rude me. I finally just started Hershey drs. I'll make the extra drive, and if she ever needed to be in a hospital I'd take her to Hershey before I'd take her anywhere else anyway.

I didn't know about the tribe forum thing, so thank you very much for that. I only discovered this forum last night while looking for ways to deal with unsupportive family members.

Thanks again!

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#4 of 12 Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Have you tried any naturopaths? We found one about an hour away (we're not in PA, I'm not recommending anyone, just telling you how far we went) b/c the close-by one wouldn't see babies under 1 who weren't under the care of an MD. Just her personal comfort level. It was worth it.

I don't understand the waivers, either. Then again, since they think that vaccines take care of these diseases, do they even know how to ehlp with them at all? If they mess up in caring for a disease, is it their fault a kid gets worse, or is it yours that you made it so difficult for them in the first place? It's all crazy.

I preferred to pay OOP for the ND b/c I felt she had a clue about how to help, if DS got measles or whooping cough, etc, rather than the MDs who needed waivers.
#5 of 12 Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 AM

There are several chiros in the Lancaster area who are willing ot take on pts kind of in absence of a family doc. I'm not certain if they do well checks, if that is what you are looking for, but they do treat illnesses. One in particular is very homeopathic minded.
#6 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post

Why do I have to sign a form saying I take responsibility if something happens to her bc I choose not to vaccinate
so you dont try to sue them if your kid gets sick. i can't imagine any harm that would come from you signing this consent form and i dont think it's an unreasonable thing for a doctor to ask of you.

if you dont plan on trying to sue them, you have nothing to lose.
#7 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope08 View Post
so you dont try to sue them if your kid gets sick. i can't imagine any harm that would come from you signing this consent form and i dont think it's an unreasonable thing for a doctor to ask of you.

if you dont plan on trying to sue them, you have nothing to lose.
That just makes no sense.

A doctor's job is to treat disease. They are asking people to sign a waiver that releases them from responsibility if they can't do their jobs!

Kids who are vaxed can get the same illnesses; one would think the waiver would be a MUCH better idea for those families, since so many of them think vaccines always keep people from those diseases, so if they DO get them, they would be very surprised!

It's just another hurdle that doctors are putting in the way of people who don't vax, it's a psychological barrier that might make someone on the fence think "omg this must be bad if I have to sign a waiver", and it makes no sense. There's no chance I'd sign such a thing, simply on principle. I'd find someone else.
#8 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3514 View Post
There are several chiros in the Lancaster area who are willing ot take on pts kind of in absence of a family doc. I'm not certain if they do well checks, if that is what you are looking for, but they do treat illnesses. One in particular is very homeopathic minded.
I haven't gone to the tribe thing yet, but I'm still going to ask here anyway. Where and who is this homeopathic minded dr? That's really what I wanted in the first place but every search I did came up empty handed.

#9 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
That just makes no sense.

A doctor's job is to treat disease. They are asking people to sign a waiver that releases them from responsibility if they can't do their jobs!

Kids who are vaxed can get the same illnesses; one would think the waiver would be a MUCH better idea for those families, since so many of them think vaccines always keep people from those diseases, so if they DO get them, they would be very surprised!

It's just another hurdle that doctors are putting in the way of people who don't vax, it's a psychological barrier that might make someone on the fence think "omg this must be bad if I have to sign a waiver", and it makes no sense. There's no chance I'd sign such a thing, simply on principle. I'd find someone else.

My dad is a doctor and I have plenty of friends who are doctors. I think when you know doctors personally you see that they aren't really the type to waste their time with "psychological barriers". The point of a waiver is only to protect themselves from a lawsuit if your kid dies of a rare illness that they had a good chance (>90%) of preventing. You sign waivers before a lot of things that you have done in a doctors office. Why would you think that they would expect you to say "omg it must be bad if I have to sign a waiver" when you claim to have researched everything on the subject? It should be a no-brainer if you have researched it first and are confident with your decision.
#10 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Here is a modified AAP Refusal of Vaccination form which is somewhat better.

Here's another one Compleat Mother Vaccine Refusal form, it doesn't have all the current vaccines on the schedule listed though.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 12 Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I would be warry about signing these forms and would write my own. Many say that you are warned "about the risks of not vaxing" and these forms can supposedly be used against parents in CPS, divorce, and other cases. You want to cross out anything that admits to danger or fault for not vaxing.
#12 of 12 Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3514 View Post
Ooh, who?

caro, my FP (who is my son's PCP as well) said that he recommends vaxing, but of course will respect my wishes as a parent. I hate that some doctors forget that THEY work for YOU and YOU are paying THEM for their services. It must be nice for them to be able to pick and choose their clients. : I'm going in tomorrow to sign, and I fully plan on crossing out anything I don't agree with on the form, including the disclaimer on liability. I'll also be adding a paragraph about the dangers of vaccination to the bottom of my form that ought to give the nurses something to chuckle at over lunch.

If they "don't let you" cross things out, make sure you write "under duress" next to your name. It will never be able to be used in court. To be honest, they really shouldn't be requiring anything other than a post-it saying that you're not vaxing, but .

Nice to see other CPA moms on the board!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page