What if your gut feeling is telling you to vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I was half asleep and got the random idea I should vaccinate. Upon looking it over this morning and weighing my decisions, I think that it was really my soul telling me to do more research.

I feel confident in what I know about diseases, and vaccines themselves, but asked myself "what would I do if she got this this or this?

I guess I just don't feel confident enough in what to do it my DD were to catch something. Some diseases being less serious, obviously require less attention, but I'm really not sure what to do if she were to catch something..

I don't feel like I've done enough research, ya know?

Can someone point me in any direction... preferably with the treatment of certain diseases?

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM

I love this blog. http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM

I know this won't be a popular answer here but I did the same thing. I was in bed the night before a doctor visit (who we had already told we were not vax'ing). I couldn't get comfortable with it, despite everything. Ultimately we do selectively vax.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't do anything right now until you research more and are certain of what you're suppose to do. You can always choose to vax if you end up wanting to, but you can never take back vaccinations.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM

I would wait and do more research until you make a decision that you are comfortable with rather than making a decision because you are afraid. The nice thing is that you can always go back and vaccinate once you are comfortable with the decision. You can't unvaccinate though. I am currently not vaccinating but I can always change my mind at a later date if I find information that leads me in that direction. I am not hard and fast about anything because ultimately you have to do what you feel is best for your children.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Nice link LavenderMae.

I would ask myself, if it really was my gut, or if it was a fear instinct based on the marketing provided by the CDC. Even on their websites, they state that the first reason people should vaccinate is because of the loss of time at work when parents have to take off to care for their child. It affects the economy.

Ask yourself first about the likelihood of getting the disease that scares you, and then ask yourself honestly what would happen if they did. Most websites do not accurately portray what happens with a childhood disease. They'll show pictures of the worst possible cases, and describe the most obscure secondary infections. My older kids have had mumps. You know what? It was easier than when they have a stomach virus (at least they don't puke!), it was actually easier than teething, they swell for three days, have one grumpy day and then it's over. Rubella? They didn't even act sick! I have a great book from the early seventies that is so much more realistic. It helps me that my MIL and her siblings were never vaxed, and that my husband and his siblings have never been vaxed, so they've actually had a great deal of these diseases and thrived. They have NEVER had meningitis, polio, etc, so if they haven't had it in sixty years, what honestly are the odds of my kids getting them?

Here's a website for treatment: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Mumps.html

Take your time and assess honestly where your feelings are coming from. As Maxwill says, you can't undo vaccinations.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the links and advice guys.

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

There was a great thread on mother's intuition. I think this may be one of those moments.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Nice link LavenderMae.

I would ask myself, if it really was my gut, or if it was a fear instinct based on the marketing provided by the CDC. Even on their websites, they state that the first reason people should vaccinate is because of the loss of time at work when parents have to take off to care for their child. It affects the economy.

Ask yourself first about the likelihood of getting the disease that scares you, and then ask yourself honestly what would happen if they did. Most websites do not accurately portray what happens with a childhood disease. They'll show pictures of the worst possible cases, and describe the most obscure secondary infections. My older kids have had mumps. You know what? It was easier than when they have a stomach virus (at least they don't puke!), it was actually easier than teething, they swell for three days, have one grumpy day and then it's over. Rubella? They didn't even act sick! I have a great book from the early seventies that is so much more realistic. It helps me that my MIL and her siblings were never vaxed, and that my husband and his siblings have never been vaxed, so they've actually had a great deal of these diseases and thrived. They have NEVER had meningitis, polio, etc, so if they haven't had it in sixty years, what honestly are the odds of my kids getting them?

Here's a website for treatment: http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Mumps.html

Take your time and assess honestly where your feelings are coming from. As Maxwill says, you can't undo vaccinations.
I agree completely with this.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM

I too question myself on if I can handle a disease like pertussis or mumps. I'm scared because I haven't gone to medical school/don't know much about how the body works and sometimes I feel like I don't even do a good job of taking care of myself.
However, the risks of the vaccine is not worth the "benefit" of the vaccine for me. Here is how I see it - there is a high chance my daughter would have a reaction - there is a low chance she will catch the disease and an even lower chance the disease would harm her if she did catch it?
Also, I just have this gut instinct that even is she doesn't have a reaction - all that junk in the vaccines would set her up for something later on in life....like MS, or allergies, or cancer? That is just my own personal opinion though....
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayo22 View Post
I too question myself on if I can handle a disease like pertussis or mumps. I'm scared because I haven't gone to medical school/don't know much about how the body works and sometimes I feel like I don't even do a good job of taking care of myself.
Knowing that about yourself, now is the time to find someone who DOES know how to help care for a child with those used-to-be-normal-childhood-diseases. We found a naturopath that knew how to care for children with things like measles, and also how NOT to care for them (don't suppress all symptoms being one of them). Since you aren't sure how to do it, don't wait until a kiddo has it, only to find people who will lecture you for not having the vaccines (which is IMO a cover for "I skipped the classes where they taught us how to care for it b/c I thought I'd never see the diseases" or even "they don't TEACH us how to care for them anymore"). Find someone now who has the old-time knowledge, so even if you don't have the actual tools in your toolbox of helping kids through diseases, you have the person with the tools in your phone book.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

I also at some point had the gut feeling that our vaccine path was not good for my kids or family. I listen to that inner voice - the whisper - before it becomes a knock upside the head. I had my daughter caught up on her vaccines that week (we still didn't do Hep A or B though.) I do not regret it in the slightest. Although that might not be the usual MDC answer, it's what worked for us. Frankly, I did not feel comfortable at all dealing with whooping cough, measles, etc. at home and would have wanted to die a thousand deaths if my kid had contracted a vpd.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 PM

First off, I believe in instincts more and more every day, and I think that that should be the ultimate voice that you listen to.

I do agree with Multimomma though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Nice link LavenderMae.
I would ask myself, if it really was my gut, or if it was a fear instinct based on the marketing provided by the CDC.
Discerning the voice of intuition from the voice of worry/fear is sometimes very difficult. Take a while, even a couple days or longer if you can, to sit with this feeling and figure out what is under it. Whatever decision you make, repeat to yourself: *Fear is not a reason.* It is not a reason to get vaccinated, and it is not a reason to avoid vaccines. (YMMV, this is where I'm at personally with these things now.) Get under the fear, past it, and get to the heart of it. It might be that your intuition knows something that makes vaccination the safest course of action for your child. It could be that doubts are surfacing, that are not rooted in instinct at all. It sounds like you are feeling like you went with the idea of not vaxing, and now there is something in you saying, "You really don't KNOW... you didn't do the research... you might have made a horrible mistake!" Does that sound about right? That sounds like you need to take a little time to do some research and either find peace with continuing to be vax-free, or find peace with choosing some/all vaccines. One thing that might help is to really take to heart what PPs have said: you can always get the shots. You can never take them back. Taking some time is the most prudent course of action, IMO.

and good luck!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Here are a few books:

For an even handed treatment of the issue I recommend "Vaccinations, A Thoughfull Parents Guide" by Aviva Romm.
For keeping your dcn healthy and to treat VPDs: "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health" by Aviva Romm and "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor" by pediatrician Dr. Mendelsohn.

I like "inside vaccines" as well.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Have you ever heard of Mary Tocco? Before anyone vaccinates their child, you must listen to her video. It was the best $20 I have spent. She has a website marytocco.com. She has done independent research for over 20 years. She is the mother of five healthy unvaccinated children. I have actually seen her speak at a conference. This woman knows her stuff and she can blow anyone away.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:14 PM

I am a registered nurse in the ER and I have seen multiple times where parents bring their infants in because they are lethargic, crying constantly and not eating. Every single time the parents say, "My child received vaccinations in the last 24-48 hours". It just makes me scream inside and I so badly want to say "Do you know what you are doing to your child?" Pediatricians will say that this is normal and the child will get over it. You just don't know the long term effects that could occur. I have two healthy kids myself and they have received NO VACCINATIONS! I would never risk my childs health. Children have immune systems for a reason...to fight off the bad stuff. There are three nurses that I work with that also choose not to vaccinate. It is a decision that you must really think about before you act.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrijane128 View Post
I guess I just don't feel confident enough in what to do it my DD were to catch something. Some diseases being less serious, obviously require less attention, but I'm really not sure what to do if she were to catch something..
Ok...here's another way of looking at it...if you DO vaccinate and your DD STILL becomes sick, how will you feel? If you DO vaccinate and your DD has an adverse reaction, how will you feel? Explore how you feel for all scenarios.

I think you're right that it is your gut telling you to do more research and have a "game plan" when/if your kiddos get sick, regardless of vaccination status.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 PM

ahwn,
I have the opposite. My ds is 9 months and last week we did one dtap vaccine.
I thought I was ready and that we would selective vax. He's had no apparent reactions since then but my gut is saying NO MORE. I don't think we'll do anymore vax. It just seemed so wrong to inject him with that junk. He doesn't need it. Some inner voice is really telling me he doesn't need it.

User Tag List