daycare center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas. I'm relatively new around here. What a great place!

Baby boy is due to arrive at the end of November. This is our first so we're currently in the throes of researching vaccinations.

Wow.

My head is spinning. I would love to be able to keep Baby Boy at home and breastfeed for as long as I can, but that's not going to be our reality. I'm going back to work FT after 12 weeks and Baby Boy will be in a daycare center M-F. I'm still going to try to pump and BF for as long as I can.

I've spent the better part of a month researching vaccinations. I just can't do it. I am so disgusted with the US government, FDA and CDC.

Does anyone else have a non-vaxed infant in daycare? I'm a little worried about shedding. Should I be? Babies are going to get sick - vaxed or not, right?

a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
EVC

My unvax'ed dd started daycare at about 10 months old. The only one I would be worried about is the Rotavirus vax which can be a real doozy. During dd's second month at daycare, there was a terrible outbreak at the center (not sure if it originated from a recently vax'ed kiddo or not). Dd was the ONLY child in her group not to get it (she was still nursing then-still is, actually--and I think that helped quite a bit).

So, yes, I would be concerned about shedding from Rotavirus, but not the others.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 09-07-2008, 01:56 AM

My ds started daycare at 7.5 months old. He was in a small home daycare (only 5 other kids and all were older- the next up in age was like 2.5.) So we didn't worry much and he never got anything. He is still totally unvaxed at age 3 1/4.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son started in daycare when he was 4mo. I think it was a big bonus to not be vaccinating because it forced me to find some ideas on what to do about illnesses--even though, to the best of my knowledge, my son's never had a VAD (he's 2.5yo now).

There will be stomach bugs in daycare, so having a solid plan about how to keep breastfeeding, and how to pump efficiently, is a really good idea. The Working Mamas forum or the breastfeeding or breastfeeding challenges forums would all be helpful with that.

My son got sick, he actually seems to get sick more than most and I eventually figured out why, so I was extra glad that I hadn't messed with his immune system more.

I second that the rotavirus vax would be the most worrisome about shedding, but given the number of other icky stomach bugs that could happen, I think the most important part is having ideas on what to do about dehydration (with kid #1, for example, it never occurred to me to pump and feed her breastmilk from a spoon when she didn't want to nurse).

User Tag List