Can they really not have a religious exemption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WV and MS don't have religious exemptions. WV is my homestate and this is one of my big reasons for not moving back (despite the fact that I plan to homeschool). Can they really refuse to educate a child who lives within the state? Because that's what they'd be doing. The kid's here, he wants to learn, and he's being refused a public education because of his family's religious beliefs. How in the world is this even acceptable to the boards of education of these states?

I bet if somebody fought it, it could be changed. However, it would probably take a really good lawyer, lots of publicity, and a solid background in a religion with a known refusal of vaccination (which I don't have as a Pagan). I see this as flat-out religious discrimination and it just boggles the mind how this even continues. Surely there are Christian Scientists or other recognized anti-vax religious believers in these states. So are their kids all getting homeschooled? Or getting their docs to sign off on medical exemptions? Or just slipping under the radar?

I plan on writing WV's congressmen and telling them exactly why I can't move back to WV. There's got to be something else we can do. State-sanctioned religious descrimination is just not right!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 3 Old 09-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't get how they can do that, either. And yes it would take a heck of a big stink to change it.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#3 of 3 Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know what Christian Scientists do in Mississippi and West Virginia. I was wondering that myself. In Mississippi, it's extremely hard to get a medical exemption, because even if your doctor wants to do that for you, it has to be approved by a government health official. So I imagine the doctor would need to lie a lot and write false things on the chart, which I doubt any doctor would be willing to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page