What precautions to take for non-vaxed babies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

This is my very first post to this forum... So glad I found it...

I've been agonizing over whether to vaccinate my little baby girl or not. I already know that I won't give her some of them, but I'm not sure about Hib, Prevnar, DTaP. I'm leaning towards not doing it at this point. I've been pushing them off until now (she's 5.5 months, and her next appt is on Friday...).
I'm breastfeeding her and she doesn't go to DayCare. But, we do attend some Mommy-and-Me groups through our local Adult Education program, so she does get in contact with other babies and their toys (pretty much inevitable in that context).

If you don't vaccinate your child, what other precautions do you recommend taking to make limit the chance that your baby will catch Meningitis and Pertussis, short of keeping your baby in a bubble? I don't want to live in a constant state of fear, but I'm not sure how to.

Any advice would be great. If I don't vaccinate her, I want to make sure I do all I can to keep those diseases at bay.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Best of luck on your decision! It is really a tough one. I encourage you to make a list of each vaccine and what it is used for. Research each and every one of them before you make the choice. There are lots of threads around here to get you started.

As far as precautions, we don't take any. We breastfeed and eat healthy foods. We wash our hands a lot. That is pretty much it. Best of luck to you!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Nutrition and exercise are the key to good health. I use a myriad of websites like http://www.doctoryourself.com/ to find basic care and sometime homeopathic remedies for common illnesses. Find a naturopath/homeopath and an accupuncturist/Chinese herbalist in your town to help you in health care.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM

I always am more careful with a new baby under three months . I also do some things because I don't like my kids to be sick.
Handwashing for me , for them and anyone who touches my baby or their hands. I can't stand people touching their hands. I avoid people with coughs. I avoid grocery shopping carts and nosy strangers in the grocery. I don't go to Target as much in the winter months. I avoid the indoor play gyms, and Chuck E Cheese. Ball pits are not for me or my kids. I am a much less cautious in the summer. I teach my kids at a very young age about hand sanitiser. The winter months make me the most nervous. I won't take the kids to the grocery much. I think more and more sick people go to stores every year. I don't do the church nursery. I know it can be stressful but taking care of a virus for a week is worse for me. I think the bad stuff goes around in late fall early spring from what I have read.
Philia
Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM

I am into extra vit C for the kids and whole food supplements.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the good advice. I appreciate it.
We've pretty much decided to delay all vaccination until at least she's one year old. So, no vaccination for my little girl this coming Friday.
We will re-evaluate when she's one year old, although I have a feeling we'll postpone them once again...
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM

I didn't take any special precautions because she is unvaxed. She is an adult now and she never got any of of the VPDs even though she was exposed to chicken pox ( not purposefully ).
Old 09-20-2008, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

So, we had our 6th month appt today, and we decided to not vaccinate our little girl yet. We will postpone it at least until she's 1 year old, when we re-evaluate our decision. I anticipate that we'll maintain the same decision.

We are fortunate that our Pediatritian is fine with our decision, and didn't pressure us into making a different decision (very few Drs. in our town are ok with this). She did warn us that her other patients who decide not to vaccinate do end up visiting her more often with their babies out of fear when they get sick, especially in the winter, but as long as we are willing to live with that, she was fine with it herself.

She did recommend to continue staying away from Day Care or anything similar over the winter months to avoid too much contact with sick kids, and even big holiday gatherings. And of course to continue breastfeeding, and, when introducing solids, to stick to organics.

So, there you go. Thank you again for sharing your info. I'll continue getting educated on this issue as there is so much more to learn.

Thank you.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:23 AM

We do NOT do public pools and public swimming lessons. Honestly I cannot believe that vaxing parents even take this risk . . . Warm water, many children, bodily fluids, Chlorine to depress the immune system, etc. Also, public pools have been implicated in Polio AND Diptheria outbreaks. Really bad idea, IMO.

We also do not do indoor playgrounds . . . They are never ever cleaned for the most part . . .

He is not in Childcare . . . If he were, I would just choose a family childcare with a NL philosophy if I could and NOT a huge childcare center with many different age children.

Honestly, I just treat my child like a Free Range Chicken. My mantra is, you wouldn't stick an Organic Chicken in a (confinement based) Chicken House because the Chicken House is what made the vaccines and antibiotics seem like a good idea in the first place!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM

We dont' take any precautions, and we've never been to a doctor because he was sick. At two weeks old we went to visit the day care I worked in, and the kids all touched him. He's fine. He's had a few bad colds, and what I think was an ear infection, but other than that, he's very healthy.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 AM

my daughter is just a little younger than yours! :

you might feel more at ease if you did more research about the diseases vaccines attempt to prevent. the chance of your child having a serious case of any of the diseases is very, very small - much smaller than the chance of having a serious vaccine reaction. i'm glad that your ped is willing to keep you as patients even though you don't vaccinate, but i think the ped is exaggerating the risk a little. i would bet that because your child has an intact immune system, she will be sick less often than vaccinated children.

my old pediatrician does not recommend vaccinating and recommends not vaccinating if the family has any autoimmune (e.g., allergies) or neurological disorders. we weren't given any special instructions (except about the importance of good nutrition) and my daughter has been all over inner city L.A. w/o even catching a cold. ETA: i never worry about her grabbing a restaurant table or chewing on a shopping cart handle. my husband works in an ICU, so he does change clothes and shower before snuggling the baby. we are cautious about nasty hospital germs - which have no vaccinations anyway.

i hope that you are able to find peace with your decision.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting comment about pools from DINAHX... Hmmm... We actually have her signed up for a mommy-and-me swimming lessons starting next month (4 babies at a time), as we want her to get used to water and swim early.
Now, this makes me a bit worried...
Has this been a problem for other unvaxed babies out there?

By the way, one of the other reasons we decided not vax her, is because her grandmother (on my Partner's side) has Parkinson's and was found to have a very high level of heavy metals in her system. The jury is still out as to whether this contributed to her condition, but I wouldn't want to start injecting my daugther with Aluminium, when her brain is developing, and possibly increase her chances of developing Parkinson's at a later stage in her life.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 AM

I take my son swimming, although not regularly (maybe 1x/month), and I haven't yet had a problem. He's 15 months.

I can see why people would find it icky, though.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DD is now 16 months and has never had any vax. I've never really done anything special other than maybe taking her to playgroups a little less in the winter months. I tried to BFAR but it didn't work out so she didn't even get BM. I feed her a well balanced vegetarian diet and hope for the best. I can't say I never worry because I do but I made the decision I feel is best for her after much thought/research and have to trust that.
I never thought about the pool thing. I can't swim and I'm with the PP in thinking public pools are kinda icky. DH really wants to take DD to the YMCA for swimming lessons though. Any more info on the dangers there would be really appreciated.

mama to three little ladies
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 PM

I lifeguarded and taught swim lessons to all ages at a public pool for about five years in high school and college. It's true that lots of bodily fluids WILL end up in the water (including poo, pee, and vomit), but a well-run pool is heavily chlorinated and the pH is tested on a daily basis. If you are ever there and the water seems cloudy or milky looking, don't get in--it's either under or over chlorinated. If you're really paranoid, ask one of the guards or the pool director to see their sanitation schedule. Most pools won't have a problem with showing you, especially if you say that your child has immune system issues and can't risk swimming in dirty water. Pool staff are often actually proud of how clean they keep the facility and you might be pleasantly surprised to find that swimming there is sometimes more sanitary than taking a bath at home.

I can understand why some might find public pools gross, but swimming is such an important life skill that it's a risk I'm willing to take with my soon-to-be-born, never-to-be-vaccinated child. I'd much rather he catch diphtheria or whooping cough than drown in three feet of water because he didn't know how to at least dog paddle to safety, kwim?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM

The only real precaution I take is keeping my DS out of and away from Hospitals and Doctors Offices, if that is possible. I don't take DS with me visiting people in Hospital (new babies etc, I don't like "descending" on new mums that have just given birth) and I try to keep the number of WBV visits kind of low-those places are the germiest around, that's about it.

Pool Water is not my favourite but DS loves water, I just trust my local Pool.

Aside from that I absolutely don't think unvaccinated kids show up at the Doctor's Office more often than vaxed kids- our Pediatrician just remarked that in almost 19 months he came for a sick visit ONCE this week. He rarely sees his unvaxed patients. In my Neighborhood I find it to be quite the opposite, that a lot of parents that based their decision not to vax-are more confident to NOT run to the Doctor with every sniffle and don't brake out the Tylenol 5times a week.

I would say, if you go to the Doctor's Office non-stop because you are MORE worried because of your unvaxed child- that says to me that you might need more research on the topic or your decision is maybe not quite final.
Honestly, I don't like that Docs take on it, sounds shady and quite the opposite of what I see around here. The parents on unvaxed kids don't run to the Office more often, quite the opposite because most of them have the "We ourselves have to take charge of OUR bodies and OUR health".
That doesn't mean to deny your child medical attention when it's appropriate and needed- it just means not killing your child's liver with constant Tylenol and accepting that life means being sick every once in while, we're human.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:13 PM

dd1 & dd2 are both non-vaxed.
our ped is against all vaxing.
there are homeopathic vaxes if desired/needed.
dd1 is 3 and has had 2 real "colds" in her life. one was more of a lingering cough (after a plane trip). we went to the ped to rule out whooping cough, as our county in CA at the time had the highest rate of non-vaxed children and whooping cough was a reality - thankfully not ours. we denied antibiotics and she was fine. one was a horrible flu virus everyone in our town was crushed with, and she had a mild version and came out the other side beautifully. homeopathics and herbs were all that was necessary/utilized in her healing and restoring immune strength.
we have never taken any extra precautions with either child, aside from not giving them antibiotics or too much processed food or non-organic food that would deplete their vital life force and potentially leave them more susceptible to disease.
dd2 caught a virus that landed her in the ER. it was the same flu that crushed us all, but dd2 was only 2 weeks old. she managed to pull through with primarily just oxygen. i took ferrum phos 6x and echinacea to boost the breast milk benefits. i feel blessed that the hospital didn't say a word (other than "have you vaxed?) about vaccines while we were there for 3 days. she is super strong and healthy.
we don't avoid much, but live in the country. we own a restaurant, so they are in contact with lots of people all the time. dd1 has been in multiple daycare situations and never got sick from any of them. we do fly a few times a year and boost up on vit c before and during our trips. both kids have chewed on their fair share of restaurant tables and shopping cart bars. dd2 seems to really like sneaking dirt into her mouth, along with everything else.
we go to the hot springs pool and local hot springs. we try to go the day after they clean, but its not always what happens.
i feel strongly about helping to support strong immune systems. vaccines do the opposite of this.
http://www.novaccine.com/
this website has lots of crucial info and is easy to navigate.
and about the aluminum..
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr...himerosal.html

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 AM

No special precautions here and I wouldn't worry about the swimming pool issue.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 AM

I don't want to be argumentative, but how could one not worry about public pools? First Chlorine is totally toxic and the more that is used, the more toxic it becomes . . . Especially when heated/vaporized, it becomes inhaled . . . The last time my son & I were in a Chlorine pool we slept the entire next day to recover. Both of us! So when you combine immunocompromise from the toxin exposure to bodily fluids/germs from the pool, especially if it is widely attended and heated, well IJDK how that could not be a cause for concern. Also especially since it is documented that Public Pools and epidemics of transmissible disease are historically linked . . .

I guess I can get doing it anyway, but not saying it is not a risk . . .

I would not be concerned about Hot Springs because there is no immunocompromise from toxin exposure there . . .

I have to say, given the toxicity of Chlorine, and how much I swallowed as a child in the pool frequently, I almost think it is an informed consent issue with childern. They cannot consent . . . Remember, public pools are mostly a 21 century construction, they do not exist in nature . . .

:
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 AM

I guess some of us just aren't that hardcore about avoiding toxins. Chlorine is certainly caustic and I wouldn't want to breathe it in all day like I used to when I was a lifeguard, but taking my child to the pool once a week or less is probably not going to hurt him in the long run. And if it were a choice between a child who can't swim and a child who has swallowed a mouthful of pool water a few times, there is no contest. Knowing how to swim is an essential, lifesaving skill and many people don't have access to natural hot springs or other unchlorinated, sanitary sources of water, especially in the winter time.

Just my $0.02.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Kay!

My child is still young so he wouldn't ever be in a situation where he was around water without me or his father on him like white on rice.

But I agree the ratio of toxin/germ avoidance to water safety could shift as he ages.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM

I see it this way, there are only a handful of VPD's and these are only a small chunk of what our children can get. I don't do anything special since she is unvaxed.. We are only scared of these specific diseases because the CDC says so. SO hand washing, healthy eating, to help keep her healthy not just from VPD.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Congratulations!

I took my older three nonvaxed children to Mommy'n'Me for years. Use common sense. Watch your children. Keep them clean. Feed them well.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

User Tag List