They wont help us wihtout current shot records... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently we had a financial setback, dh was out of work for two months. Back to work now, we are still behind. I called a place that helps out in emergancy situations with things like help paying the electric bill. Well, they wanted a LOT of documentation, most of it understandable, ssn, birth certificates, check stubs etc. but also each child must have shot records showing they are up to date! I mean, wtf? I was just like thank you,nevermind and took out another loan. Sigh.

Just another way to coerce people I guess. If you were desperate enough for the help, you might do it, especially if you were fence sitting or unsure/hadnt finished researching yet etc.

As my five year old dd says, "thats so ridiculous!"

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM

What on earth has that got to do with a loan?!? Crazy.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

I don't even see how they could legally ask you to provide your children's medical records. Doesn't that violate HIPAA? Was this a state agency or a private organization?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
I don't even see how they could legally ask you to provide your children's medical records. Doesn't that violate HIPAA? Was this a state agency or a private organization?
Yes to all this. That is insane.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Seems like it could be religious discrimination too if your file a religious exemption... insane!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:42 PM

I think that they need to be reminded of your state's laws, and if you are within the laws, even a record of NO vaccinations is a "complete" shot record, and they should help you.

What I've said the two times DS went to the ER last year is that "since WA allows 3 reasons for not vaccinating, in that way, he IS up to date with his shots", and they write down that he's up to date (they have a different definition, but THE definition is accurate with my statement) and move along. Helps that we've had the same nurse and doctor on each visit.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Even if you did vaccinate, if you were having financial trouble, what if you can't afford to see a doctor or a get a vaccination?

The whole thing seems wrong to me.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 AM

No.Way.
That is a blatant violation of your personal rights- religious and/or medical privacy.
If you're up to it, I would call back, and challenge them on this

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 AM

I've been asked to do that before. I simply tell them we dont' violate for religious reasons. They always say that is fine and usually ask me to write that in a letter. Try again.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

its a moot point now anyway. The appointment they gave me was a week past the "pay or shut off' date so I borrowed money to get it paidand now that dh is back to work, we make too much to qualify to get help on the next bill anyway....

but i just couldnt believe they even asked for that!!

ANd you are right, that would violate HIPPA, wouldnt it? Hmmm....

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness

User Tag List