Upcoming family visit - shedding related question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ILs are coming to visit this weekend including my SIL and her daughter who is just over 1 yr old. My ds was full vaxed to 18 mos, but I have a 9mo that's never been vaxed. My SIL's daughter is fully vaxed and just recently had a round of unknown vaxes - about a week ago.

We aren't hermits by any means and often go to the library where dd has most likely been exposed to children who have been recently vaxed w/one or more of the live virus vaxes. That being said, though, it won't be quite like someone visiting your house, etc.

I don't really want to say anything as I don't think they really know that we no longer vax and I realize that the likelyhood of any exposure is small. That being said, I do want to be mindful since they are going to be at our house for much greater contact that dd would have had previously. (I should also say that there isn't anything I have against the wild versions of many of these as there are some I would like dd to be exposed to when she's older).

As best as I can figure she's possibly had Hib, PCV, IPV, MMR, Varicella, and Hep A. Of the above my understanding is that the MMR and Varicella can shed. Is that correct? Aside from the normal practices (good diaper care, proper handwashing, etc) is there anything else I should keep in mind? I don't want to get all uber-protective, just want to be mindful to reduce the chance of exposure via shedding. TIA!
#2 of 3 Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM

I saw no one answered, so I thought I would. Hep A can theoretically shed too. However, after more than a week, I wouldn't be worried.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#3 of 3 Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM

I would personally stay away from diaper changes of the other vaxed kid, or really desinfect my hands after that. A lot of shedding happens through feces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page