When you know more than the doctor's office... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Took my 4 y/o un-vaxed ds in for a check up today- The woman at the front desk whispered to remind me that he'd be getting shots today (whispered so ds wouldn't hear and freak out or something?) And I replied "no, he won't be getting any today- my kids are not vaccinated". She looked at me w/ complete confusion and said "Oh...but u will right?"-
Me- "No- we use a religious exemption form for school entry"
Her- "Oh.... but what about when he goes to school? You'll get them then right?"
um, hello did u not hear me about the school entry thing??!
Me- "No- we'll use a religious exemption form- See (pointing to his preschool healthform's section on religious exemption)"
Her- "Oh....but not for elementary school right? Public school? You can't do that at public school can you?
Me- "Yes- he will go to public school adn no he will not be vaccinated before he goes" (I don't know why this is so confusing!!!)
Her- "Oh... well expect him to come home w/ all kinds of germs then. He'll be catching everything when he goes to school."

Because germs don't exist in a completely vaccinated environment?? What the crap. I finally stopped talking and took my seat b/c it was hurting my head to listen......I guess it was better than what my doctor said at my son's last visit:
Doc- "You know you'll need to catch him up b4 Kindergarten entry right?"
Me- "No- we'll be using a religious exemption form for that"
Doc- "Oh- you know about that. Ok then. "

Sometimes I can't believe people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaziz View Post
Took my 4 y/o un-vaxed ds in for a check up today- The woman at the front desk whispered to remind me that he'd be getting shots today (whispered so ds wouldn't hear and freak out or something?) And I replied "no, he won't be getting any today- my kids are not vaccinated". She looked at me w/ complete confusion and said "Oh...but u will right?"-
Her- "Oh.... but what about when he goes to school? You'll get them then right?"
Me- "No- we'll use a religious exemption form- See (pointing to his preschool healthform's section on religious exemption)"
Her- "Oh....but not for elementary school right? Public school? You can't do that at public school can you?
Me- "Yes- he will go to public school adn no he will not be vaccinated before he goes" (I don't know why this is so confusing!!!)
Her- "Oh... well expect him to come home w/ all kinds of germs then. He'll be catching everything when he goes to school."

Because germs don't exist in a completely vaccinated environment?? What the crap. I finally stopped talking and took my seat b/c it was hurting my head to listen......I guess it was better than what my doctor said at my son's last visit:

Yeah, because you know I won't have to lie to you anymore about how you can't attend Kindergarten/School/College/Golf Club/Bake Sale/Pool Swimming etc. without "getting the necessary shots". Sound more like he said, well, since you know, I might as well stop lying about it.

It's not like you know more=it's just that they will have a harder time pretending and lying to you about "you HAVE to have shots".
Old 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this would be my cue to find a new doctor.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah- I did move doctors from that last appointment- but I still have to stay in the practice cuz my hubby's job gets us kaiser and it's totally free for us so I put up w/ annoying peoples when I have to- but I did switch pedi's though cuz that one woman was just sooooo irritating. It's like- if you don't want it to seem like there's anything to hide, why try and trick people??
Old 09-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Took my 4 y/o un-vaxed ds in for a check up today- The woman at the front desk whispered to remind me that he'd be getting shots today (whispered so ds wouldn't hear and freak out or something?) And I replied "no, he won't be getting any today- my kids are not vaccinated".
Your front desk woman sounds like mine. : At LO's 9 month appt, she reminded me that she be getting her 12 month shots at the 12 month appt. I said, "no we aren't" and she argued with me. I finally conceded, knowing that I would talk to the nurse/dr about it and there wasn't anything the front desk woman could do about it. Sure enough when I went back with the nurse and questioned her about it, she said, "you aren't vaccinating, so no shots."
Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 AM

I just don't argue with the front desk anymore, nor do I tell them anything. I am there to see the Ped or his RN, not the front desk. The front desk job's is to book appointment, collect co-pays and be of logistical help.

I was once a front desk lady (before being an Office Manager that gave me some real insight into the lovely workings between Doctors, what they bill and insurances, that's were you lose "trust") once-and boy, my Boss would have not liked any kind of "attitude" on my part toward a patient-and certainly not medical "advice".

I can't stand calling my Ped's Office because ever so often I get one Lady that finds the need to determine on my behalf if me son needs to be seen.: Not her freaking job.
I call maybe once a year, so it's not like I'm some paranoid "first time mom" that constantly bugs everyone.
So I call and ask for an appointment to be seen and I never get to just book that appointment without her trying to make that decision for me, she refuses to book an appointment and connects me to the "nurses line" instead. Of course nobody picks up there, because, duh, the nurse is busy.

I hate that I am not able to just book an appointment but have to defend my wish to book an appointment, then get transferred, have to leave a message and wait to be called back, only to debate with the nurse wether I should be coming in.:

Sometimes I have the feeling that Lady at the front desk remembers we don't vax-because as soon as she hears my last name, the fun starts.

Fun with the front desk.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
I was once a front desk lady (before being an Office Manager that gave me some real insight into the lovely workings between Doctors, what they bill and insurances, that's were you lose "trust") once-and boy, my Boss would have not liked any kind of "attitude" on my part toward a patient-and certainly not medical "advice".
Do tell...
Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
I can't stand calling my Ped's Office because ever so often I get one Lady that finds the need to determine on my behalf if me son needs to be seen.
Have you ever mentioned this to the Dr.? It seems that so many have no idea how the "desk ladies" treat people.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Have you ever mentioned this to the Dr.? It seems that so many have no idea how the "desk ladies" treat people.

Well, let's see. I worked the front desk AND as an Office Manager in Clinics- usually those are directions from the "BOSS". Usually the staff is advised to follow a certain protocol and basically "screen" people. I just have the feeling one or two are of the "let's protect the good doctor from the people outside" mentality.

I honestly think they might be just doing what they are told to do. Some leave it at "what's going on", other are really digging deep.

We were told in all details which questions we had to ask-and the Doc got upset with us if we "let someone" in in a particular time that didn't fit whatever they wanted that day.
One was alsways off on Fridays- but didn't want us to tell people that-would have made him look like rich guy who is always out.
The one didn't like follows too much etc.- even the front desk usually gets "briefed" to maximize patient flow (and have more money coming in)

I like him as a Doctor- but I can't stand his front desk and how hard it is to schedule a sick visit- you always call, get transferred to the nurse who never picks up- have to wait for her to call back, then you get to debate the symptoms with the nurse (I mean would I be calling if I didn't think someone should p-hysically take a look?) and need to cimvince her you need to come in.

I am going to mention it because I really don't like being put through the ringer-but I have no illusion that he (the Doc) as the owner doesn't know about it. I stick with him because he doesn't grief about anything, doesn't bring up vax etc.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM

It always bugs me when the nurse will walk in putting on her gloves and say in a chipper voice "so I see we have some vaccinations to catch up on". I wonder if they even LOOK at the file prior to coming in! I tell them every time we aren't doing them, but they never get it!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Oh gracious I'm so glad we use NDs who don't bug us about this stuff! She has to ask about it at each visit, so she can cover her butt and check off the box (she told that to me when she noticed how annoyed I was that she was asking these things), but it's only a "check off the box" question.

And I'm glad that the doctor and nurse we've seen twice at the kid's hospital ER don't care either. LOVE them!

brendaziz, did you get louder and louder with each question she asked? I soooo would have.

I once, at 18 years old, refused to have my eyes dilated for a routine eye exam. I had read up on the way the drops worked, and didn't want that in my body. He refused to go on with the exam. I demanded the package insert. He insisted I read the insert in the waiting room. Ohhhh what a HUGE mistake! I tsked and omgoshed and harumphed, and other patients asked what I was reading and oh did I tell them. Warnings on the dilation drops label mention possible heart failure, did you know? That was FUN. For me. Probably not for the eye doc!

So if I were to ever encounter a front desk person like that, with each question I would be louder and louder (so that the other patients would know the truth) and enunciate clearer and clearer.

But I'm evil like that.

(though not as evil as all the "official" info on, say, the school district site which ONLY mentions having to have shots, and doesn't mention AT ALL that you can have an exemption form instead of the shot record, even though my state has philosophical, religious, and medical exemptions!!!!!)
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM

Look for a practice that can give you a retinal view with an Optos, Optomap. Much better view of everything and a heck of a lot better for your eyes!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:

This sounds EXACTLY like the ped practice that recently gave us the boot for not complying with their "office policies" regarding vaccination.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 AM

LOL, germs only exist in schools, according to her.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

User Tag List