Interviewed for newspaper... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our local moms message board had a thread recently about vaccines, and I chimed in to defend non-vaxers, of course. I got an email from a reporter who is doing a story and wanted to talk to parents who don't vaccinate.

I told her I'd be happy to answer her questions via email, as long as my name wouldn't be used. Do you think this is a good idea or a bad idea? Why?

I won't do a phone call, because I am afraid of being put on the spot and saying something that might be twisted around. Through email though, I can think my answers through & get help here if needed. And of course if I get a bad feeling I don't have to answer them at all.

Your thoughts?

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 PM

I would do it. If you're not comfortable giving out your name that's one thing, but sharing your reasons why you exercised your freedom of choice in this matter and some of the medical and ethical concerns could inspire lots of people to see the issue differently.

I live in a country were vaccines are mandatory by law and parents who do not vaccinate are given high fines and their children and barred from attending pre-school.

I give interviews and information to the press all the time about how unjust this is. I've been invited to speak on the radio twice. Just today, a reporter from the main daily newspaper came and took a picture of me and my DS. I do not mind associating my name to the freedom from vaccination and vaccination awareness cause.

I know it's a sensitive issue, but so many issues are. I would feel just as comfortable or uncomfortable talking about my views on abortion, or defining my religion or why I want a homebirth, but I refuse to be shy or embarrassed by what I believe in. And I believe that mandatory vaccines are unconstitutional and that vaccines are not effective in preventing disease and can cause major damage. And I'm not afraid to say it or have my name associated with these statements. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, east_carolina, those are some very good points.

I'm not ashamed of our decision at all. I guess I am more afraid of them twisting something I say or trying to make me appear stupid in the newspaper, kwim? I guess it depends on what kind of "story" they are after. I suspect it won't be balanced and fair. If it's anything like the discussion on the message board, it will serve to just prove why I'm a wacko.

But I definitely do want to participate if I can make some points and possibly lead others to consider alternatives to vaccinating.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM

Well, they may do the story anyway, without your input. But they can't misquote you. So I say do it. If they're willing to accommodate email, that's great because you can even pay attention to how they might cut up your sentences to make you say things you wouldn't normally say. I would do it. More parents will know that vaxing is even a controversy no matter what the newspaper's spin turns out to be. And that's a step in the right direction. If parents don't realize that anyone questions vaccination, why would they think to question them, kwim?

Enjoying my plummet off the deep end mommy with two (2005) and (2007)
#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by east carolina View Post
I would do it. If you're not comfortable giving out your name that's one thing, but sharing your reasons why you exercised your freedom of choice in this matter and some of the medical and ethical concerns could inspire lots of people to see the issue differently.

I live in a country were vaccines are mandatory by law and parents who do not vaccinate are given high fines and their children and barred from attending pre-school.

I give interviews and information to the press all the time about how unjust this is. I've been invited to speak on the radio twice. Just today, a reporter from the main daily newspaper came and took a picture of me and my DS. I do not mind associating my name to the freedom from vaccination and vaccination awareness cause.

I know it's a sensitive issue, but so many issues are. I would feel just as comfortable or uncomfortable talking about my views on abortion, or defining my religion or why I want a homebirth, but I refuse to be shy or embarrassed by what I believe in. And I believe that mandatory vaccines are unconstitutional and that vaccines are not effective in preventing disease and can cause major damage. And I'm not afraid to say it or have my name associated with these statements. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
You go girl!! More power to you!!

This is exactly how I feel; if it was illegal here, I would be the one breaking the law everyday and telling everyone about it. It's who I am; this is something I believe in.

Any step you take will be a positive in the right direction. Whether it's e-mail or not, any step is great. If you don't want to do the whole e-mail interview thing, you could always prepare a "statement" of how you feel, kind of like a research paper. I'd reference sources that speak of the dangers, etc., and then send that to them.

How awesome of an opportunity, though! I'm jealous - I'd love to have that chance!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 AM

Oooooh, how exciting! I wouldn't want to give my name either, but I would do the interview, taking care to ensure that all my info was 100% correct!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page