Well baby visits VS not going - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
Exactly - take the kid away and THEN investigate. And, in the event that your kid(s) are taken away, any and everything you have done in regards to raising those children will be brought under intense scrutiny, by people who most likely do not share the beliefs of the people who generally make up this message board.

Let's face it, when it comes to vaxing, the general population usually thinks that it's nuts that there are people who don't vax, for whatever reason. CPS wasn't brought into my personal life because we stopped vaxing, but they sure put up a big fuss when I handed over my daughter's medical records (which I was more than happy to do, knowing I had done nothing wrong) and they saw that she was "behind" on her vaccinations. Forget the fact that the doctor didn't put up a fuss about it, that she was otherwise perfectly healthy and meeting her milestones, they harped and harped on that stupid MMR vaccination for MONTHS.

The law itself is written in the state I lived in when this happened so that I had a viable reason to opt out. I'm assuming your mother goes to court for her CPS cases, and it's pretty well-known that unless the case goes to trial, all sorts of things are allowed to be admitted into evidence (including hearsay), and that the proceedings are not run strictly by the law. I don't know how many times I was told, "That's just the way it is." Doesn't make it right.

Doing or not doing well baby visits isn't the clincher, and I don't think anyone said that. But I'd rather put up a fight about the vaccinations (which my not-so-cheap attorney, who I really COULDN'T afford, but I had no choice if I wanted my kid back, DID have to put up a fight about, based on THE LAW) than have to put up a fight about never taking the kids to a visit at all.

For the basis of this discussion, and the OP's original question, it is a heck of a lot better, in my opinion and my experience, to have a stack of medical records rather than none, in the event that CPS is brought into your life for whatever reason. Does it mean they will stay out? Absolutely not. But when you're searching for a battle to win, clean medical records are a good thing to have on your side.
:

Everything I have heard and seen about CPS ending up in your life for some random or unbased reason lends me to believe you better have everything you can get your hands on if you want your kids back in one piece.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Yikes--I hadn't really thought about CPS regarding this. My DS went to WBV until about a year old--we stopped vaccinating after his 4-month old WBV, switched from a pedi to a family practice doctor, and then did 6 month, 9 month, 12 month and maybe 15 month WBV with her--but I just stopped going because I thought it was stupid to bring him into the germy office for no reason. I know he's fine. My mom was telling me I need to bring him in for a 2 year WBV but I wasn't planning on it--maybe I should?

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 PM

What if one had medicaid and never took baby to doctor? We have medicaid and i dont plan on taking babe to doc..unless he is sick. MW did well baby at one week and 2 weeks. I'm a Lactation Consultant and feel that i have enough medical knowledge to know if and when i should seek medical assistance. I dont plan on going unless we have too.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 AM

One thing I would add is that I think WBV are a good idea for the small probability that something IS wrong that might not be apparent. I know a friend who has 3 children who was blind-sided when her pediatrician discovered her youngest daughter had a murmur at her 1 y.o. WBV.

I also like WBV to buttress my case if the ER makes a report. I know at our local hospital their policy is any child seen for a head injury is reported to CPS. A nurse even admitted they capture lots of innocent families but they figure that way if the child falls off the bed for a second or third time and hits their head, they can show a pattern of these types of accidents and thus failure to supervise, etc. My child fell off the gurney at the ER when I broke my arm. (Please don't even comment on it . . . I had 2 y.o. twins, was in excruciating pain, and my son fell trying to get on.) I thought they were going to call CPS, though a friend who is a nurse said she thought they were so enraged because they would get in trouble for having a single mother with a broken arm supervising 2 toddlers alone. I was just glad I had someone on the staff at hte hosptial (my pediatrician) who could stand up and say something on my behalf.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what to do now.

my 7 month old twins aren't vaccinated and we're fine with that issue. At the 4 month check up, we realized one of our twins has torticollis so we were referred to an ortho surgeon. Turns out she has hip dysplasia as well. Her first appt was on their 6 month birthdate, so we never made the 6 month appt. Now they're 7 months and still haven't had a WBV. We found a new doctor we like (pro vax choice) but haven't gone to him yet because I still have an existing referral from the horrible doctor. If I switch now, I will be stuck in referral hell, because the referral will be coming from a doctor we don't see anymore. Baby will be in treatment, physical therapy with follow ups for the next 6 months, and I don't know what I should do until then.

Maybe get Baby A in with the new doc and explain to him that I can't do anything with baby B until after her treatment is finished? I like the ortho surgeon (because he's trying to treat her without surgery and she LOVES him!) and it's at the top local children's hospital. But I don't know what to do about Baby A who is completely fine, just behind in her WBVs.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Our doc gave us the " You DO know that vax doesn't cause autism, right?" spiel. I told him that yes, I did, but it can still harm an infant or child, and it goes against everything I believe about how the body works to heal itself. He said "You're the parent - but I went to school for this and it's really the best thing for him. We'll discuss it the next time you come in."

:

I wanted to say something snarky, but I just haven't been back.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
:

I wanted to say something snarky, but I just haven't been back.
I don't blame you for not going back! How incredibly rude and condescending of him. He might as well have tousled your hair and given you a lollipop on your way out. Ugh.

Alternately, you could have responded, "Well, I carried him in my body for nine months, gave birth to him, and have been his primary caregiver since the day he was born. I am his mother and I know what's best for him. Thanks for your concern but we won't be discussing this again."

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

User Tag List