Well baby visits VS not going - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 37 Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
Crazybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the beginning, we did the 2 week, 3 week (issues with weight), 4 week, 5 week also. We did the 2 months, 4 months, 6 months but SKIPPED the 9 month, went to the 12 month and skipped the 15month and we are skipping the 18 month one too. We don't vax and he is not sick. *If* the state put their nose where it doesn't belong, can they hold that against me as neglect or something? From my understanding, the well baby visits are so numerous because of the vaccine schedule and not because they need to see them.

Also, I don't have insurance for DS right now. I went to apply for state medicaid but one of the last questions is "is your child up to date on vaccinations?" That scared me and turned me off to finishing the application. My state allows medical and religious exemptions but I'm scared they will focus in on me if I answer no to that question- if i say yes, that would be lying- right? He is up to date as far as not getting any! I don't want them in my business nor do I want phone calls or letters about it. Any insight into that as well?
Crazybean is offline  
#2 of 37 Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
 
LivingforGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boise,Id
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd 1 went at 1 week and has not been back since. She's 18 months old. I have a five week old dd also and she will not see a dr. either unless there is an issue with her health. Why would the state be sticking there nose in your business? They are your children and you are allowed to make those decisions.
LivingforGod is offline  
#3 of 37 Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
 
MamaJenese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cambridge MA
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't vax and I still go to wbv. My pediatrician and I have a really good relationship. He is not thrilled about the fact that I don't but has been VERY respectful of my choice. I keep going to have the kids weighed, measured, talk about various developmental things, but mostly to keep a good working relationship should my children become sick. I feel like because we see him on a regular basis (yearly for DS, DD is still a babe so more often) I will face less resistance and negativity regarding the vax issue if illness occurs.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
MamaJenese is offline  
#4 of 37 Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
 
sweetpeppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't go. I don't need to spend my money for someone to tell me my son is healthy. People with insurance aren't wasting their money, so they have a different take on it.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
sweetpeppers is offline  
#5 of 37 Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 AM
 
Purple Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I do like to go to WBV, but I also have insurance for my children. It certainly would be harder for me to go if I was paying the full-cost of each visit.

I like to do WBV to help keep a good relationship with a pediatrician's office if we need help. My twins were preemies, had RSV that left them sick for 12 weeks, my daughter has asthma. I love having a pediatrician's office that knows me and will get my daughter in same day/next day.

I also think regular WBV protect me in the event allegations of medical neglect are made because of my failure to vaccinate. Whether it's right or wrong, I think it's easier to substantiate and protect yourself against allegations of neglect if you can point to having obtained regular medical care for your child. Otherwise, I think you do make yourself more vulnerable to charges of medical neglect, especially when failure to vaccinate is listed as an example.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the question about vaccinations on the Medicaid application. Just write "exempt for religious reasons" or "religious exemption" in the blank asking about vaccinations. My children are on medicaid and we dont' vaccinate. When we went to the WIC office last week, they asked me about vaccinations. I just said we had religious objections and were exempt. No problem. I just took my son to the ER for stitches after a nasty fall at a kid's event. The triage nurse asked me. I said we were exempt on religious grounds. The PA who came in to do the stitches asked me in an "authoritative" voice if he was up to date on his vaccinations. I just said, "We have religious objections, so no." She said, "oh, okay." She paused and then said, "You do know there is a risk of tetanus, but I'm sure you are aware of that." I think it helps in these situations that I have a long record of having received medical treatment for my son so that the failure to vaccinate just really does look like a religious issue and not part of an overall pattern of failure to obtain medical care for my children.
Purple Cat is offline  
#6 of 37 Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM
 
SoCaliMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


We only go to the drs when the kids are pretty sick and i feel i need to take them. My son hasn't had a well check visit since he was 6months old and he's now over 2yrs old. We stopped vaxing him at 4months those shots were his last.

I say it's none of their concern, it's your child.


Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

SoCaliMommy is offline  
#7 of 37 Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 AM
 
PapayaVagina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pretreating stains
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post

I also think regular WBV protect me in the event allegations of medical neglect are made because of my failure to vaccinate. Whether it's right or wrong, I think it's easier to substantiate and protect yourself against allegations of neglect if you can point to having obtained regular medical care for your child. Otherwise, I think you do make yourself more vulnerable to charges of medical neglect, especially when failure to vaccinate is listed as an example.
This is exactly why we decided to start taking dd for WBV. She didn't really see anyone for about 6 months but then we decided that it was worth the piece of mind that she was established somewhere. I keep copies of all of her records as well.
PapayaVagina is offline  
#8 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
 
HippieWannaBe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 8-months old and has never been to a well baby visit, and we have excellent insurance. I feel that if he's sick, then he goes. I have taken him him to see a Dr. twice, but realized that it was my own lack of knowing how my son reacted to teething (our first child). Other than that, he's been fine. We did take him in at a week of age because of jaundice and that was it. We do not vaccinate either.
HippieWannaBe is offline  
#9 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents did vax me, but we never went unless we were sick- and even then, we stopped going eventually, because my mom would just call in and say, "She's got strep again", and they would prescribe abx (I know, e-ville- ) over the phone.

I got criticized recently for not taking dd to the dr by inlaws. So, in order to have all my ducks in a row, I'm going to take her in to a vax friendly dr soon, just so I can say, "See? I took her to the dr a month ago, and all is well, I'm not neglecting her health." : Just in case- isn't it sad there has to be a "just in case?"

I did eventually get them off my back by saying, "I take her to the dr whenever there is a concern"- which is never, since she's NEVER SICK!
Persephone is offline  
#10 of 37 Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
 
AlwaysByMySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybean View Post
*If* the state put their nose where it doesn't belong, can they hold that against me as neglect or something?
If the state put their nose where it doesn't belong, yes, they can hold it against you. I say this from personal experience. (My daughter went to WBVs, but I stopped vaxing her at 18 months. She never got MMR, only got one round of varicella before I stopped. It WAS held against me.)

It can't be the reason they open a case against you, to my knowledge, but if a case IS opened, anything and everything can be used against you.

I also want to add that it works a heck of a lot more in your favor if you have evidence of doctor's visits. If you rarely went to the ped at all, I'm 99% sure it would NOT look good on you, in the eyes of the CPS folks.

That said, my son has been to the ped three times, and he is almost 8 months old. We missed the 4 month visit, and will likely miss the 9 month visit. (We do have WIC records for back up, should we ever need them. Nothing seems necessary until you have CPS scrutinizing you.)

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
AlwaysByMySide is offline  
#11 of 37 Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
 
claddaghmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on taking her in around 2 weeks and then at 6 months just to establish a relationship. Maybe once a year after that.

Our FP actually advises parents to have at least a yearly exam and point-blank says it is because of all the CPS/government stories he hears about.

I think I might do dental and vision once a year.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
claddaghmom is offline  
#12 of 37 Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 PM
 
JamesMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Is a PROUD Iowan (finally...)
Posts: 8,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on state medicaid, they never asked about vaccines when I signed up and haven't asked since.

With my DD (1 year) I did 3, 6, 9 and will do a year. And then annually after that.

My DS is 3 and he goes annually.

Vision haven't started yet.

Dental is every 6 months (as recommended by our dentist).

I, personally, like having the paper trail there for if CPS ever poked their nose in my business. It hasn't been an issue so far, but you just never know...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
JamesMama is offline  
#13 of 37 Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 PM
 
angie7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins are vax free and we still go WBV. We do it as a precaution "just in case" CPS was ever to be called after and emegency trip to the ER or something. I just want proof that our kids were seen by a doctor and that no neglect has ever been reported. We didn't go to the ones that just required vaxs though (like the 15 month check up) but we did do all the others and will continue to do so. After they turned 2, we only go once a year on their birthdays.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
angie7 is offline  
#14 of 37 Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 AM
 
smeisnotapirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Posts: 5,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It infuriates me that there has to be a "just in case." DS went to his 2 week visit and hasn't been back. He's a sweet, happy, HEALTHY little baby - unvaxed. I'd love to say that I won't go, but I might go at 6 mos and at a year. I just REALLY don't feel like arguing with the doctor like I did at his 2 week visit.

Disgusting that we can't raise our own kids.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

 

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

smeisnotapirate is offline  
#15 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
 
In Exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: spooky northeast
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smeisnotapirate. Don't argue! You did it once to be "fair" and you propably explained your reasons- which usually lead to "you're wrong anyway and that's a load of bullocks" on behalf of the Doc.

You made your point, he made his point-I shut down when it comes to that. My Ped is never badgering us, we talked about it once, I said no thank you, that was that.
I do the same with family and inlaws. I just keep quiet-which can be hard when someone (usually someone who should know better!-say a Biologist who told me unvaxes toddlers are responsible for smallpox in the US!) spews lies or simply has no clue.
I don't argue.

I did skip one or two appointments and I hate "just in case". I do like our Ped who respects us so that makes it easier. Plus DS loves his new books...
I didn't do all of them-but when I happen to have a couple questions and that coincides with WBV times-I do take that options, no copays either so I don't feel like wasting money.

All it takes is a visit to the ER, a pi**ed of staff member enraged by your "neglect to vaccinate"-if you don't have a Ped that says, "the kid is fine"-that can be enough to get you into trouble. I just loooooove how making a parental decision is treated as if you're in a legal grey zone. There is no legal grey zone- you making a perfectly legal decision but are being forced to "work around" roadblocks, which sucks.

Some Doctors are awfully mad when you tell other people that vaccination is not a mandatory legal requirement and you can chose freely what your children are being injected with. The roadblocks are just punishment for not knowing your place and doing as the Doc says...
In Exile is offline  
#16 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you allow the state to fund your life - EG MEDICAID, then you allow them to control your life to some extent. Most government assistance programs have in their bylaws, notations about how you loose some of your rights.

As you can see the state (CPS) just loves to intervene on the behalf of the safety of the children and you can be harassed for anything you do that is not seen as total herd behavior. My mother is a former CPS worker so I have a little insight into this. If you screw up enough to get them in your life in the first place - you can go ahead and kiss goodbye any control you have over the way your children are raised.
ckumelos is offline  
#17 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
 
In Exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: spooky northeast
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
HA HA HA !!!!

That's funny. Ever spent any time in the safety forum. Most of the women there think THEY OWN MY CHILDREN and have the right to say how I should be raising my children, and furthermore think laws should be instituted to ensure I comply. Even here, on MDC, there are many people who do NOT believe you have that right.

Anyhow, if you allow the state to fund your life - EG MEDICAID, then you allow them to control your life to some extent. Most government assistance programs have in their bylaws, notations about how you loose some of your rights.

As you can see the state (CPS) just loves to intervene on the behalf of the safety of the children and you can be harassed for anything you do that is not seen as total herd behavior. My mother is a former CPS worker so I have a little insight into this. If you screw up enough to get them in your life in the first place - you can go ahead and kiss goodbye any control you have over the way your children are raised.
Edited after turning on brain a notch!

Maybe I just need clarification on that first part of your post-or I should be reading more often in the safety forum?
In Exile is offline  
#18 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
 
**Cat**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't blame you for not wanting to take them in unless there is an issue.

That place is a germy mess. Yuck!
**Cat** is offline  
#19 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK , I'll just delete my post. Nevermind.
ckumelos is offline  
#20 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
 
In Exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: spooky northeast
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
OK , I'll just delete my post. Nevermind.
Hey, you wanna explain?? Mods don't like deleting post, I got reprimanded...
In Exile is offline  
#21 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't want to change the whole reason for this thread. And I didn't realize I would be insulting anyone or inviting insults.
ckumelos is offline  
#22 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
 
In Exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: spooky northeast
Posts: 702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
I just don't want to change the whole reason for this thread. And I didn't realize I would be insulting anyone or inviting insults.
Hey, I just PMed you.
In Exile is offline  
#23 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
 
pastelsummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In a small town in Idaho
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do selective vax but I take them to wellchild just because I love to see how much they have grown and to make sure thier growth is on track. But that is just me

E married to "G" 9/06 mama to "A" 6/07 "D" 3/09 "A" due mid sept

pastelsummer is offline  
#24 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
 
AlwaysByMySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
If you screw up enough to get them in your life in the first place - you can go ahead and kiss goodbye any control you have over the way your children are raised.
Wow. Yes, that was insulting.

Rather than make a UAV comment, I will stick with facts - you do retain parental rights for most medical decisions unless/until your parental rights are revoked by the state. Which means nobody can, for instance, force you to vaccinate your children (depending on the state.)

The only thing worse than having the system invade your life is when they invade your life and take longer than a year to realize that they weren't needed in the first place.

And now I'm going to back away before I say something nasty.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
AlwaysByMySide is offline  
#25 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother routinely took custody of children away and THEN investigated. She didn't do it the other way around. She awarded custody back when the parent proved they were "fit" by doing everything the states way. Perhaps I have been exposed to an overzealous wing of CPS??

If you do well baby care for the benefit of CPS, I don't think that will be the clincher to decide whether you are a fit parent. Having been on the CPS side of this issue, and I asked my mother about this issue just a few minutes ago, and she said if you do not do what CPS wants you to do, they are likely NOT to give you back custody of your children. And unless you can afford a lawyer to fight them based on the LAW - good luck trying to elicit any sympathy.
ckumelos is offline  
#26 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just check "up to date" then later when they ask for the records I'd say "I am religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination (if necessary "I will not discuss my religion with you"). If they ask why you checked "up to date" I'd say that to check no would imply that your children are following a schedule but are not current. They are "up to date" on your schedule which contains no vaccines due to your religious opposition. There are plenty of moms here on state aid, and giving a letter of religious opposition takes care of it. I have not heard any stories of the state calling CPS, though TAO is the board where those usually come up.


For those worried about CPS being called for not vaxing and other non-mainstream practices:

Child Abuse and Neglect Statues
http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwi...tate/index.cfm

Quote:
http://sayingnotovaccines.blogspot.c...regarding.html
The Arizona State Court of Appeals has slapped down efforts by Child Protective Services to have a youngster in foster care immunized over a parent's objections....

Potentially more sweeping, the judge said the laws that allow the state to take temporary custody of a child specifically spell out what powers and responsibilities that includes. These range from the right of physical custody and the right to discipline the child to the requirement to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter and medical care. Eckerstrom said anything not on that list remains the right of the biological parent.

Find a Lawyer referral under "Services"
http://www.falseallegation.org/services.htm

Parents Guide to Dealing With CPS

http://www.familyrightsassociation.c...parents_guide/
Fighting Child Protective Services False Accusations
http://www.fightcps.com/

CPS Watch -- Legal Forms
http://web.archive.org/web/200306021...ms/default.asp

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#27 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is Texas stand on CPS rights - note that is is whether the CPS worker beleives there is danger - not can prove it on any factual basis. Stick to facts when it comes to CPS?? CPS doesn't use facts. I highlighted in red what they are likely to state about not vaccinating, whether or not you had WBC.

Quote:
CPS is allowed by law to remove children for abuse and neglect or for being at risk of abuse or neglect only after a court orders it or when there is no time consistent with the health and safety of the child to obtain a court order and the person taking possession of the child has sufficient knowledge or reason to believe:

there is an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child;
the child has been the victim of sexual abuse;
the person with possession of the child is currently using a controlled substance and the use constitutes an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child; or
the person with possession of the child has permitted the child to remain on premises used for the manufacture of methamphetamines.
ckumelos is offline  
#28 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
 
ckumelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emmaline has the best thing there - BE PREPARED !
ckumelos is offline  
#29 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Emmeline II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
This is Texas stand on CPS rights - note that is is whether the CPS worker beleives there is danger - not can prove it on any factual basis. Stick to facts when it comes to CPS?? CPS doesn't use facts. I highlighted in red what they are likely to state about not vaccinating, whether or not you had WBC.
From Texas vax law on this issue:

GOVERNMENT CODE
SUBTITLE I. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
CHAPTER 531. HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES COMMISSION
§ 531.0335 (2007)
§ 531.0335. Prohibition on Punitive Action for Failure to Immunize
(a) In this section:

(1) "Person responsible for a child's care, custody, or welfare" has the meaning assigned by Section 261.001, Family Code.
(2) "Punitive action" includes the initiation of an investigation of a person responsible for a child's care, custody, or welfare for alleged or suspected abuse or neglect of a child.

(b) The commissioner by rule shall prohibit a health and human services agency from taking a punitive action against a person responsible for a child's care, custody, or welfare for failure of the person to ensure that the child receives the immunization series prescribed by Section 161.004, Health and Safety Code.
(c) This section does not affect a law, including Chapter 31, Human Resources Code, that specifically provides a punitive action for failure to ensure that a child receives the immunization series prescribed by Section 161.004, Health and Safety Code.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Emmeline II is offline  
#30 of 37 Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 PM
 
AlwaysByMySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckumelos View Post
My mother routinely took custody of children away and THEN investigated. She didn't do it the other way around. She awarded custody back when the parent proved they were "fit" by doing everything the states way. Perhaps I have been exposed to an overzealous wing of CPS??

If you do well baby care for the benefit of CPS, I don't think that will be the clincher to decide whether you are a fit parent. Having been on the CPS side of this issue, and I asked my mother about this issue just a few minutes ago, and she said if you do not do what CPS wants you to do, they are likely NOT to give you back custody of your children. And unless you can afford a lawyer to fight them based on the LAW - good luck trying to elicit any sympathy.
Exactly - take the kid away and THEN investigate. And, in the event that your kid(s) are taken away, any and everything you have done in regards to raising those children will be brought under intense scrutiny, by people who most likely do not share the beliefs of the people who generally make up this message board.

Let's face it, when it comes to vaxing, the general population usually thinks that it's nuts that there are people who don't vax, for whatever reason. CPS wasn't brought into my personal life because we stopped vaxing, but they sure put up a big fuss when I handed over my daughter's medical records (which I was more than happy to do, knowing I had done nothing wrong) and they saw that she was "behind" on her vaccinations. Forget the fact that the doctor didn't put up a fuss about it, that she was otherwise perfectly healthy and meeting her milestones, they harped and harped on that stupid MMR vaccination for MONTHS.

The law itself is written in the state I lived in when this happened so that I had a viable reason to opt out. I'm assuming your mother goes to court for her CPS cases, and it's pretty well-known that unless the case goes to trial, all sorts of things are allowed to be admitted into evidence (including hearsay), and that the proceedings are not run strictly by the law. I don't know how many times I was told, "That's just the way it is." Doesn't make it right.

Doing or not doing well baby visits isn't the clincher, and I don't think anyone said that. But I'd rather put up a fight about the vaccinations (which my not-so-cheap attorney, who I really COULDN'T afford, but I had no choice if I wanted my kid back, DID have to put up a fight about, based on THE LAW) than have to put up a fight about never taking the kids to a visit at all.

For the basis of this discussion, and the OP's original question, it is a heck of a lot better, in my opinion and my experience, to have a stack of medical records rather than none, in the event that CPS is brought into your life for whatever reason. Does it mean they will stay out? Absolutely not. But when you're searching for a battle to win, clean medical records are a good thing to have on your side.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
AlwaysByMySide is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off