Pampers now = 3 vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not know if they do that in the country that you live in (probably as pampers is sold in most countries I imagine...a well known brand amongst parents!)... They have the adverts here about it. And I just can not help that everytime I see it I think 'what they need is clean water and sanitation - not a bunch of chemicals injected into their babies!'...and though I am not sure, I bet they have no idea the dangers of vaccines and may not even have a choice...? We do not vaccinate and whilst I am not 'anti' vaccine and do not believe that everyone should not vaccinate (though that would be nice lol)...I do believe parents have the right to be informed and fully aware, etc. We dont buy pampers anything so I guess it doesnt really matter for me...But how do you feel about such a subject?

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I havedn't seen any adverts-- I'm in the UK but really don't watch TV anyway...but is what your saying that if I buy Pampers then I am supporting a vaccination program in a developing country? (not that I'm a huge fan of Pampers BTW)

Zoe, mama to Thomas 1/06
Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 AM

We have those ads in the US. I don't buy pampers, but if I did, I'd stop buying them immediately and let the company know why. It makes me feel ill watching those adverts, personally. Finance water, food, education, housing, but vaccinations? Please no.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:09 AM

I'll admit, I sometimes buy them... not every time, but yes sometimes I do...
I did get to thinking, when I see that pkg. saying 1 pack=1vacc. I think to myself...Geez I responsible for poisoning little 3rd world kids...
Guess I better stick to huggies, though I have begun to toy with the idea of cloth diapering..

anyway, its 3 vax now??
Does anyone know how I can get in touch via email or reg. mail w/ pampers to write a letter of why I wont buy their dipes anymore??

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
...I have begun to toy with the idea of cloth diapering...

Cloth diapers are awesome. Just thought I'd throw that out there for you. I used Huggies on DS1; and cloth on DS2, and it's SO much better. DS1 had diaper rash constantly, and DS2 has comfy-bum. I heart Fuzzi Bunz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
...Does anyone know how I can get in touch via email or reg. mail w/ pampers...
Yup. You can find contact info for Pampers USA here; Pampers Canada here; Pampers Canada en Français ici; and Pampers UK (where they advertise "Participate, Vaccinate, Eliminate" right on the front page) here. Happy writing.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM

thanks for the link, I have sent an email stating that I won't purchase any Pampers products and why.

Zoe, mama to Thomas 01-06
Old 10-11-2008, 11:15 AM

ugh! I have used pampers on my kids since they were born, thankgoodness we are potty training in a week!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM

Yup. You can find contact info for Pampers USA here; Pampers Canada here; Pampers Canada en Français ici; and Pampers UK (where they advertise "Participate, Vaccinate, Eliminate" right on the front page) here. Happy writing. [/QUOTE]

thanks

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Old 10-11-2008, 03:01 PM

This is the e-mail I sent:

Hi,

I'm e-mailing to let you know that while Pampers are by far my favorite disposable diaper, I won't be buying them any more. Why? Because of your vaccine campaign.

After much research, my husband and I have chosen NOT to vaccinate our own infant due to the numerous toxins vaccines contain and the very real risk of vaccine-related damage.

I laud Pampers' desire to aid children in developing countries, but believe this particular campaign is misdirected. These children need clean water, adequate food, basic education, and the list goes on. What they don't need are chemical conglomerations compromising their developing immune systems and putting them at risk for a laundry list of vaccine-related complications and injuries. I cannot in good conscience buy any product that subsidizes the poisoning of third-world children.

Please consider redirecting your efforts and using your resources to provide better living environments for these precious little ones.

Sincerely,
Julie Smith

----

Truth be told, they're not losing a lot of business, as we use cloth almost exclusively. I did like Pampers better than any of the other free samples we received, though, and had gone to the store today planning to buy a package for travel/emergency purposes. Then I read the package.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Shouldn't Pampers donate diapers instead of vaccines nobody knows the consequences off? Shouldn't Pampers give them vitamins, food and water purification kits?

Procter & Gamble the owner of Pampers I regard being behind this. There is many other reason to boycott Pampers and Procter & Gamble as they profit from war, not at least from the Iraq war that have declined the quality of life in those areas.

It reminds me of what a person said, the WHO which is a fairly schizophrenic organization because the men and woman that carry out their policies are good people but the ones on the top convince to be genocidilist.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 PM

I clicked on this thread thinking I'd object...but it's vaccines against tetanus. And while here in the U.S., tetanus isn't much of a problem, it is in parts of the world. If you look at even one picture of a baby suffering from tetanus you'll never forget it, it's just horrible. In fact, even though I'm anti-vax in general, a couple of months ago when I accidently got two rusty nails through my shoe and foot, in my yard with chickens in it, I went and got a tetanus booster (it had just been ten years). Because, well, it is an awful way to die.

Anyways...at least they're not vaccinating them against HPV or something along those lines...just my two cents.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I clicked on this thread thinking I'd object...but it's vaccines against tetanus. And while here in the U.S., tetanus isn't much of a problem, it is in parts of the world. If you look at even one picture of a baby suffering from tetanus you'll never forget it, it's just horrible. In fact, even though I'm anti-vax in general, a couple of months ago when I accidently got two rusty nails through my shoe and foot, in my yard with chickens in it, I went and got a tetanus booster (it had just been ten years). Because, well, it is an awful way to die.

Anyways...at least they're not vaccinating them against HPV or something along those lines...just my two cents.
You may have and might now find this helpful. It contains the reasons for which those who oppose vaccination specifically to tetanus would object to this campaign; this is from the archives of this forum.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Thanks so much for the link! I learn new things every day. I'm glad to hear that the levels of tetanus in the U.S. are so small. How about in other/developing countries where nutrition/hygiene haven't caught up? I'll have to do a little more research on it.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 AM

No problem, and congratulations (you're signature)!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

As long as somebody dirt onto a cord stump for better healing, you're going to have problems. People need the basics like clean water, housing that is appropriate for a human being, adequate nutrition and KNOWLEDGE that comes with these advances, not chemicals while a practice that CAUSES problem is not being adressed.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Well... I must say that I cloth diaper, & EC (much less laundry, & hence less impact.) I do however also selectivly vax. I agree that pampers could put their charity to much better use, but I also think that vaccines have gotten quite the bad rep reciently (not with out reason of course.) However, let us not forget that vaccines have saved many lives since their introduction. I had been on the fence about vaxing untill my mom made a comment something to the effect of "When economies fall, disease tends to follow." Also, I live in a community where most of the kids are not vaxed, and so we are pretty much a hot spot for outbreaks. Anyways, I guess what I am trying to say is that pampers certainly have their priorities all mixed up, but I don't think that vax's are as horible as precieved.

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 AM

I do not but pampers, but I do however think that this program is something that could help people in a developing country. I think that we are fortunate to live in a country where clean water and decent health care available, but need to remember that other parts of the world are not as fortunate as we are. Tetanus is a terrible way to die.

Neonatal tetanus is responsible for 14% of infant deaths according to UNICEF and WHO. This is usually caused by an infection at the umbilical cord stump. This is most common in countries with little or no health care available. There has been success with routinely vaccinating pregnant women in several countries.

This is all detailed here
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMamma View Post
However, let us not forget that vaccines have saved many lives since their introduction. I had been on the fence about vaxing untill my mom made a comment something to the effect of "When economies fall, disease tends to follow."
"Even the WHO (World Health Organisation) has admitted, disease and
mortality rates in Third World countries have no direct correlation
with immunisation procedures or medical treatment, but they are
closely related to the standard of hygiene and diet. A 1973 issue of
Scientific American revealed the same finding : that "over 90% of all
contagious disease was eliminated by vastly improved water systems,
sanitation, living conditions and transportation of food." Mass
vaccinations did not appear on the scene until a century after the
decline in infectious diseases started (1850-1940), but inoculations
were, and still are given full credit." --Susan DeSimone

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Even if they did pour money into an effort to help provide better sanitation and clean water, and even if they did pour money into an effort to educate people in third world countries about good basic hygiene and disease transmission, it would still take TIME for those efforts to bear much fruit, time in which vaccination efforts would be some help to keep the rate of disease down.

Look at the difficulty that is being encountered trying to educate people in developing countries about AIDS/HIV... just education alone isn't helping much there.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandam View Post
I do not but pampers, but I do however think that this program is something that could help people in a developing country. I think that we are fortunate to live in a country where clean water and decent health care available, but need to remember that other parts of the world are not as fortunate as we are. Tetanus is a terrible way to die.

Neonatal tetanus is responsible for 14% of infant deaths according to UNICEF and WHO. This is usually caused by an infection at the umbilical cord stump. This is most common in countries with little or no health care available. There has been success with routinely vaccinating pregnant women in several countries.

This is all detailed here
And instead of sending them vaccines we could send them sterile scissors and cord clamps. The problem is where the money is going. It could be spent in better ways. Tetanus is 1 infection. What about all the others they are getting from not having clean water and medical supplies.

I cd and even when I don't I don't buy pampers. So they aren't getting any $ from me.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
And instead of sending them vaccines we could send them sterile scissors and cord clamps. The problem is where the money is going. It could be spent in better ways. Tetanus is 1 infection. What about all the others they are getting from not having clean water and medical supplies.
Well, and if we would have started training them not to pack the cord in mud after birth when we first started sending vaccines forty years ago...then that whole fruitful time would have already passed. The UNICEF document quoted earlier has three times as many maternal deaths from unclean birth resources than from tetanus.

And apparently the AIDS talk is working in Africa, they're using the data to prove that circumcision decreases HIV, so there must be a lot of GOOD data there, right?

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Well, and if we would have started training them not to pack the cord in mud after birth when we first started sending vaccines forty years ago.
Thats what I was thinking. How far would it go to teach 1 mw how to properly care for women and babies? Sad they are so narrow minded.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uh, doesn't the vax take several days to work...by then the cord had dried up and fallen off allready....or are the vaxing women while they're pregnant??? to help the babies.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

User Tag List