Has anyone here had a child come down with a VPD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And how did you treat it?

My dd is nearly three, and not vaccinated. I have been researching vaccines since before she was born, and haven't found a good reason to vaccinate her yet (and since we're homeschooling, don't really see a reason to ever). But lately, I've been researching how to treat these diseases IF (and I realize it's a big if) she does come down with one. I was wondering if anyone here has had to deal with that situation, and how it turned out.

Resources for treating these now rare diseases would be great, though I've found some great ones on my own, I'm more looking for actual experiences with some of these treatments, or alternative treatments that I haven't come across yet.

Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No

My son hasn't been vaxed since 4months old and he's now a little over 2yrs old and around lots of kids

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#3 of 14 Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Both my boys had chicken pox- but that's it so far. I was so glad when they got it too. We just found out we're expecting our third and one of the first things we thought of was "man- we're gonna have to get him/her chicken pox b/c hte others already had it" :-) But they were no biggie
#4 of 14 Old 10-12-2008, 12:46 AM

My older children have had chicken pox, mumps and rubella. It honestly was no different than if they had a common cold. They layed around kind of tired watching TV for a few days. With the mumps we did warm rice in tube socks on the last day of swelling (it was the only day it bothered them) to help with pain...but we didn't even give tylenol. We did tepid baths and lots of liquids/popsicles. Rubella was easier than pox, sniffly for a few days and rashy a few, but it took me two days to figure out what it was. They've all had pertussis, and we did lots of steam baths with vicks, and that was about it.

There is a good website that I like
http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/
although I get most of my care ideas from a parenting book from the 60's, when there were still more of these diseases occurring.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#5 of 14 Old 10-12-2008, 04:01 AM

We've had Rota,Chicken Pox,Scarlet fever,Whooping cough,RSV and the flu among the kids.My oldest was vaxed til 2 and he has had all of them and The Chicken Pox took forever to get over, he was also the only one who got RSV.The others weren't vaxed and got through these just fine.We stayed home when we found they were sick and I nursed them and let them rest as needed.There wasn't anything more special than that.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#6 of 14 Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, everyone. crittersmom, I wondered if you really did nothing for pertussis other than nurse and rest? Was the coughing not that bad?
#7 of 14 Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 PM

18 year old unvaxed kid and no.
#8 of 14 Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
, There is a good website that I like
http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/
although I get most of my care ideas from a parenting book from the 60's, when there were still more of these diseases occurring.
Ooo plz share!
#9 of 14 Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The big one we had was pertussis. Chicken pox was nothing, the flu a little miserable. We did SA for the pertussis. Yeah the coughing was bad, not in DD1, it was more annoying for her, and didn't really slow her down that much, but DD2 was a newborn so that was not pleasant.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 14 Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 AM

We had measles, mumps and rubella, as well as the flu. I do many things to treat, and I just determine what they need based upon symptoms:

fever- tight blanket wrap and warm liquids

sore throat/cough- boil some mucilaginous root/seed (marshmallow root, flax seed) and add in herbs/spices like fennel, cloves, mint, ginger, whatever I have on hand that will soothe, and a bit of unrefined sea salt, then once luke warm, I add a big dollop of organic enzyme-rich honey

Vomiting- ALWAYS some brine from a ferment like homemade sauerkraut or garlic broccoli, and fresh grated ginger, or homemade yogurt with some honey as above and ginger if they cannot tolerate the above. I have not had any of then vomit again after this, and they are usually better by morning, maybe just tired, but with normal appetite.

When they had mumps, the swelling lasted for three days, then they were just tired. Measles and rubella were also similarly uneventful and short, and I gave them clo for the vit. A.

Whatever the sickness, if I can get them to take clo, I give it to them. I also make sure they are getting enough butter for vitamin A for mineral absorption, and always give them a gelatin-rich bone broth at least once every day if not more often. I also give them powdered vit. C. I make big jugs of warm 'tea' with chamomile, licorice root, yerba mate, vit. C, ginger, a pinch of unrefined sea salt, honey, and mint leaves (and rooibos if we have some), and we sip that all day.

We also load up on fermented cabbage, broccoli, onions, garlic, and whatever else I have going, if they can tolerate it; if not during the illness, then right as soon as they are able and want some- they know it helps them so much that they are eager to eat it when they are feeling well enough.

We have not had a cold or flu last longer than two days since I began this regimen two years ago. I have watched a full cycle of the cold with all the running, coughing up stuff, itchy eyes, nasal voice, etc..., in the span of an afternoon. It's wild! But a healthy body is designed to rid itself of disease as quickly as possible, and I do my best to support it's work.

We've moved a lot, so every time we're in a new environment, we have the whole gamut of disease/virus from the new place to go through. It usually begins within the second month and goes on virus after virus for about two months, and then it stops. We moved across country 6 weeks ago, and they've been through 3 illnesses in 2 weeks.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#11 of 14 Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Timmy had rubella. We just let it run it's course. He had a low grade fever and rash, but didn't feel sick.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#12 of 14 Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
We had measles, mumps and rubella, as well as the flu. I do many things to treat, and I just determine what they need based upon symptoms:

fever- tight blanket wrap and warm liquids

sore throat/cough- boil some mucilaginous root/seed (marshmallow root, flax seed) and add in herbs/spices like fennel, cloves, mint, ginger, whatever I have on hand that will soothe, and a bit of unrefined sea salt, then once luke warm, I add a big dollop of organic enzyme-rich honey

Vomiting- ALWAYS some brine from a ferment like homemade sauerkraut or garlic broccoli, and fresh grated ginger, or homemade yogurt with some honey as above and ginger if they cannot tolerate the above. I have not had any of then vomit again after this, and they are usually better by morning, maybe just tired, but with normal appetite.

When they had mumps, the swelling lasted for three days, then they were just tired. Measles and rubella were also similarly uneventful and short, and I gave them clo for the vit. A.

Whatever the sickness, if I can get them to take clo, I give it to them. I also make sure they are getting enough butter for vitamin A for mineral absorption, and always give them a gelatin-rich bone broth at least once every day if not more often. I also give them powdered vit. C. I make big jugs of warm 'tea' with chamomile, licorice root, yerba mate, vit. C, ginger, a pinch of unrefined sea salt, honey, and mint leaves (and rooibos if we have some), and we sip that all day.

We also load up on fermented cabbage, broccoli, onions, garlic, and whatever else I have going, if they can tolerate it; if not during the illness, then right as soon as they are able and want some- they know it helps them so much that they are eager to eat it when they are feeling well enough.

We have not had a cold or flu last longer than two days since I began this regimen two years ago. I have watched a full cycle of the cold with all the running, coughing up stuff, itchy eyes, nasal voice, etc..., in the span of an afternoon. It's wild! But a healthy body is designed to rid itself of disease as quickly as possible, and I do my best to support it's work.

We've moved a lot, so every time we're in a new environment, we have the whole gamut of disease/virus from the new place to go through. It usually begins within the second month and goes on virus after virus for about two months, and then it stops. We moved across country 6 weeks ago, and they've been through 3 illnesses in 2 weeks.
Do you have the book Nourishing Traditions? I just got it and haven't had time to look at it, but I'm wondering if some of this is in there?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#13 of 14 Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunch2k8 View Post
Ooo plz share!
It's called the Bookshelf Parent's Guide, it was a series of books for kids, copyright 1965. I love not only that it has an illness guide chart in it that tells you how to help a child with say, measles, but it also has a longer section with each disease further described, and more precise treatments (dark room, two weeks of rest, indoor ambulation, etc). It describes the rash, incubation, communicability, duration and treatment.

It also talks about such a variety....sore throats, vaginal infections, bedwetting, just all kinds of things. And it is surprisingly helpful with cloth diapering, breastfeeding and attachment parenting.

It doesn't give a whole bunch of homeopathic remedies, but I have a Desk Reference of Natures Medicine for that.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#14 of 14 Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Thanks for your responses, everyone. crittersmom, I wondered if you really did nothing for pertussis other than nurse and rest? Was the coughing not that bad?
For the pertussis I nursed them and let them do as they wanted.I did encourage them to spend some time in the steamy bathroom with me,when they were babies it was easier since I put them in a bouncy chair during my showers.I figure most cures are really more for giving you the helpless parent something to do kinda like telling someone to boil water during a birth. The nursing helps with a sore throat and nourishment and it gets them to be still and get some extra skin time with you.When they get to coughing it is alarming but when I took my oldest one in ( as a baby) there wasn't much the hospital could do either.I did learn to lean the baby forward to help them move the phlem up.Sometimes I've given Vit. C and sometimes I haven't since we were traveling,its true the most basic thing I've done that seems to help every time is rest and nursing.If you have an older one giving them a warm tea can take the place of nursing but try to keep them close to you while they drink it so they can get some skin time with you too.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page