Help me amend this Can. Preschool waiver form - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I've got this form for dd2's nursery school that I'm supposed to fill out, and I told them I'm not comfortable with the wording.

Here's what it says:

"I agree that in the event of my child, _______________, contracting a vaccine preventable disease, the _____-______ Nursery School assumes no liability.

I also understand that in the event of an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease in ________-_______ Nursery School, my child not being immunized against that disease, may be excluded from attending school until medical information acceptable to the school is provided and an approval from the Public Health Services."

I've asked the president of the school (it's a co-operatively run school, so she's also a parent) about it and she's going to ask the Public Health Nurse for clarification on this second paragraph (like, what kind of information and approval they need), and I've said I wasn't comfortable with the wording. The school is accountable to Community Services, so not completely private, but not really government-run. I have said I will agree to the part about not holding the school liable.

I'm wondering what others have done in similar situations. I'm not sure about the legal issues with this. Can the school turn us away if I refuse to sign the waiver? DD's been going for about a month and a half.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Nope, they can only turn you away in the event of an "outbreak". Why are you giving them such a long form? According the director of the daycare where I used to work, you can just write "Declined by choice" or something on the part of the registration form where they want the vax dates. Community Services doesn't care whether your kid is vax'd or not. They just want to know that they info is up to date in case of "outbreak".

(I asked, because we don't vax either)

ETA: If you are unsure of the reg's, call Community Services. If the school doesn't care, then just make sure the paperwork is all happy.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

They gave me the form, told me they had to have it returned by the end of October (something to do with a public health inspection?). I told them I'd agree to sign to release them from liability if dd gets sick, but I don't want to agree to having to keep her home until she passes this unspecified medical and public health approval. They were apparently advise (legally) to have parents sign this form.

But I don't have to? Good to know.
#4 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure, as they may "reject" you for liability issues. I'd call Community Services. (They are very friendly on the phone!)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 5 Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Whoa, what kind of trip are they on? I'm in Alberta and my DD is currently in a co-op preschool and I didn't have to sign anything similar to that. I told the teacher my DD is vax-free and she said, fine, no problem, and I just enrolled her with the same paperwork as the other kids. On the form where it asks if all her immunizations are up to date, why or why not, I just put "no, we do not vaccinate" and not a single person on the executive nor the school gave me any hassle about it.

And they had a form that I did sign with her health care number etc. saying that I authorized the school to seek medical care for her if necessary but I wrote in large letters, "No Vaccinations" and then signed it.

I'd check into it. It sounds like they're being overly heavy handed with you. Good luck.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page