mandated flu shot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH received a memo in his work bin stating that the flu shot is being mandated by the health insurance company for dependants 0-21 years of age, and not to forget to get them. Anyone have experience with this? What do I do to find out my options? We do not vax, but only as of recently, so we are kind of new at info seeking.
#2 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 PM

A first step might be to call the insurance company and ask why it's mandated when it is not state law to require vaccines. And see what they say - don't go on and on, just pose the question and make them explain it. Ask for documentation if needed and then ask for a fax number for where to send the exemption form. I'd be interested for how they respond!

I'm curious why the health insurance company didn't mail something to the member's homes, you know?

Next step would probably be to fill out the exemption form. There is a sticky somewhere on the vaccines boards listing the form links for each state. There is a medical and religious exemption for us in PA.

Someone else might have some better input....

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm curious why the health insurance company didn't mail something to the member's homes, you know?
Thanks! I didn't even think of this-but really, shouldn't we have received something individually!??! I think I will get on the phone with them and put together some waivers. I am not going to be bullied into this...especially by some insurance company!

Off to the tribal area! And, thanks!
#4 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Next step would probably be to fill out the exemption form. There is a sticky somewhere on the vaccines boards listing the form links for each state. There is a medical and religious exemption for us in PA.
I don't think an exemption is necessary or even legal to ask for in this situation, my understanding is that is only necessary for that particular person for daycare, school, or work. Since the child is not working there, I don't see how the insurance company can ask for that. I think they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#5 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post
I don't think an exemption is necessary or even legal to ask for in this situation, my understanding is that is only necessary for that particular person for daycare, school, or work. Since the child is not working there, I don't see how the insurance company can ask for that. I think they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.
That's a good point. It may just involve a phone call and being someone to stand up for yourself and your rightful choices.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM

That's just hoping that a couple "law abiding" folks will yield to the word "mandatory" like a Dog trained by Pawlow itself.

I wouldn't even bother to do ANYTHING at this point and just wait-if they really send a follow up asking for vax proof- than I would make that phone call.

OP, may I ask which insurance company is sending these letters?
#7 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
That's just hoping that a couple "law abiding" folks will yield to the word "mandatory" like a Dog trained by Pawlow itself.

I wouldn't even bother to do ANYTHING at this point and just wait-if they really send a follow up asking for vax proof- than I would make that phone call.

OP, may I ask which insurance company is sending these letters?
Ditto. sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I'd just ignore it and pretend I never saw it. worry about it if they actually come looking for proof, which I seriously doubt they would.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#8 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Or wait to see if they try more....

Then you can hire an attorney.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#9 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Actually I was reading in the news tonight that New Jersey is mandating flu vax for all children. Not even an exemption...here it is

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27225500/

Must be some powerful/rich lobbyists in New Jersey.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#10 of 16 Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Actually I was reading in the news tonight that New Jersey is mandating flu vax for all children. Not even an exemption...here it is

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27225500/

Must be some powerful/rich lobbyists in New Jersey.
The religious exemption is still available.

-Angela
#11 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

We didn't actually get a letter from our insurance company. It was an inner office generated memo reminding DH of the mandate. We have Capital Blue Cross. right now, we aren't doing anything, though.
#12 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkinPA View Post
We didn't actually get a letter from our insurance company. It was an inner office generated memo reminding DH of the mandate. We have Capital Blue Cross. right now, we aren't doing anything, though.

Wow. Just an internal memo and talk about "mandatory?" Yikes. Nice try though. "Mandatory" makes it sound so "legal" and "true", doesn't it?

My husband also gets also bullied at work by "mandatory" flu shot clinics and your usual Hep B threat. The latest of course is the next flu shot clinic. But the best was a threat-email by the "Boss of the Boss" demanding that everyone better get their Hep B vaxes. Anyone refusing "might" be sent off accident sites. This was a government agency by the way, not a military installation. The writer was talking about how he got his whole family vaxed with Hep B and you better get vaxed yourself or risk being send home when a supervisor will send you home due to your missing Hep B shot. RIGHT. I loved the veiled threat. Friggin' unbelievable.

He just left it alone of course nobody ever mentioned it so far. I dare to say- I want to see a supervisor that has the time and knowledge to "read" everyone's vaccine sheets at work...no THAT's productive.

I am sure though some folks just ran out and got their Hep B shot. I hope Hubby never come home saying, oh well, I got the FluMist and now I kind of feel funky. I had the flu last year (no shot), wasn't funny at all- but certainly nothing that makes me shiver in fear, PULEEEEASE! Amanzingly nobody else in the house got the flu- and I was still nursing a baby. I was sure someone else would get sick-but I was the only one with the flu.
#13 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with what others posted after me about ignoring it. I'm still learning about the actual response to take on things like this The post is helpful. I sorta wish we'd get a letter here and I can stand my ground lol.

#14 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I feel alot better, I'm really hard headed about being bossed around. I'm the fool that'll end up needing bail. I tend to act before I think (you would think I'd learn!) But, I resent being told I have to do something like vaccinate especially since vaccinations are so controversial, ya'know?
#15 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
But, I resent being told I have to do something like vaccinate especially since vaccinations are so controversial, ya'know?

Me too! I work in a healthcare setting and a TB test is "mandatory" every year. The TB test is not a vaccine, but since I had my babay this year and have learned alot more about this whole issue, I decided to look into the PPD test. It has Phenol as it's preservative. Phenol is a toxic chemical derived from coal tar. (Phenol is also in many vaccines) Anyway I have decided that since I'm breastfeeding im not getting it (I may make my case to never get it again!) I told the nurse when she came looking for me I was not getting it because of the BF. So far nobody else has said anything to me, but just in case I have typed up a nice letter stating why I won't get it. There is a blood test avaliable, but it's hard to find a lab. Im prepared to go that ruote if it comes to that though.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#16 of 16 Old 10-17-2008, 04:27 PM

I just went for my TB screening two days ago. I had no idea that it contained Phenol (at least Tubersol does -- which is what I was administered). I asked the health nurse if there were any harmful products in it, and she said "no, there are none. No mercury, no aluminum, no EDTA, or anything like that. It's totally safe. It's simply a pure protein."

I thought, "okay. I'm down with protein. Especially in beef."

However, at the end of the injection, I asked who the manufacturer was, and if I could have the insert from the bottle. She obliged, and I took the insert home. It was then that I looked up the ingredients and found out that it has an inactivated, sterilized strain of tuberculosis in it, along with Phenol.

I looked phenol up and found out that it comes in both a liquid and tablet form. Interestingly, it was the same toxin that was used by Nazis to erradicate Jews in gas chambers (by heating up the tablets until they became gas), and through injection. The article is on Wiki, if you're interested in looking it up.

I was rather concerned that I was being injected with a deadly poison -- albeit in a minute amount -- and that TB can't simply be detected via a blood draw, or saliva and mucous examination.

In any case, I don't have TB, and I got the job I was applying for. I'm not sure if it'll be required every year, but if it is, I'm going to claim religious and conscientious objection. If that doesn't fly, I'll consult my naturopath for further help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page