Am I being paranoid or what ? Long - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a phone call at home last week from our old Pediatrician's office. They also called my husband at his office. They were going through their files and before I let them finish I said we moved a year ago. I said I wanted to get a copy of the vaccines and files and asked if they could send me a copy. My first child went there and had a bad vaccine reaction. The vaccines were spaced already and haulted after the incident. My second baby went to the first week appt for weight check and the two month were I refused/ declined any vaccinations. I was asked not to come back if I did not vaccinate by one Dr but they also said they understood. We did move in the same city and both my kids have not had any vaxes.. I ignore well baby visits and phone calls to schedule them. The new office has never asked for old records or been a problem so far.
When I read the record release that they sent me it says how once they send you your records that you give up your privacy to the records .
It said this- I understand that info used and disclosed pursuant to this authorization may be subject to re- disclosure by the recipient and no longer protected by federal laws and regulations regarding the privacy of my child(ren's) protected health information.
I am just worried I could be reported as one of the non vaxers or something to the govt. We are going to use a religious exemption for school. Am I paranoid or what ? I am actually scared to sign a record release. I might just ask for a immunization copy for the baby shots that the first one had and to heck with the record.
I just don't trust the govt or anyone as much as I did before having children. I use to never feel this way but the govt is always trying to push more vaxes. example NJ and Flu
Let me know your thoughts.
Maybe this is standard with all releases.
Maybe it just says this because once the record is out of their hands they can't be responsible for it.

Philia
#2 of 9 Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Some thoughts. . .

If you do not like the language of the release, you can change it, initial the changes, and then sign it. You might change it to say that you refuse to waive any of your privacy rights.

Also, you probably don't need those records and may be better off without them at all. I would think they only reason you would really need them would be to prove you have vaccinated. But you aren't vaccinating. In fact, if you are claiming religious exemption, having proof that you have done some vaccinations, as opposed to declining all of them, could hurt your case.

I hope this helps.
#3 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
In fact, if you are claiming religious exemption, having proof that you have done some vaccinations, as opposed to declining all of them, could hurt your case.

I hope this helps.
Of course people can change their religious beliefs after the fact too. Sometimes people have a 'revelation' and 'see the light' after a bad vax reaction.

I totally agree, I'm paranoid of the govt..too many people with unnecessary power.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#4 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
I totally agree, I'm paranoid of the govt..too many people with unnecessary power.
I agree
#5 of 9 Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM

"When I read the record release that they sent me it says how once they send you your records that you give up your privacy to the records ."

Can you type out the wording of the release form? That doesn't sound right *at all*.

But fwiw, patient confidentiality doesn't keep a doctor from reporting stuff if they think a person is in danger. So if they were going to do that, they could the whole time.
#6 of 9 Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

In my first post what I am concerned about is listed right after "it says".
I think I will just ask for the immunization records for child #1.
#7 of 9 Old 10-19-2008, 10:56 PM

I'm reading that (and re-reading it...it is a wordy little mess) as to mean that they can't be responsible for the information remaining private since it is out of their hands. My guess is has to do with HIPAA so that you can't come back and complain to them if your neighbor reads your copy. If you're worried about it, just call and talk to the office manager to find out exactly what it means (and then tell me...I'm curious now).
#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=cadydid;12422612]little mess) My guess is has to do with HIPAA so that you can't come back and complain to them if your neighbor reads your copy. QUOTE]

I work in a healthcare setting and our patients have to sign Hippa releases. That is exactly right. It is just a clause to cover their ass. It means they are not responsible for the information once it leaves their office. (they just don't want you to sue them later on) It doesn't mean they will report you to anybody. I hear you though. I am paranoid as well which is why I opted out of the government vaccine "registry" in my state.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadydid View Post
I'm reading that (and re-reading it...it is a wordy little mess) as to mean that they can't be responsible for the information remaining private since it is out of their hands. My guess is has to do with HIPAA so that you can't come back and complain to them if your neighbor reads your copy. If you're worried about it, just call and talk to the office manager to find out exactly what it means (and then tell me...I'm curious now).
This is also what I thought. After you have signed a HIPAA statement (that thing every doctor's office gives you to sign), they can't suddenly retract that on their end. I agree with the PP that they can't be responsible for what gets read once the records are out of their hands.

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page