Anyone start WBVs later on? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is will be three in January. We got a recommendation from another non-vaxing friend for a chiro that she's had great experiences with, who is fine with (encourages, actually) not vaxing. Call me paranoid, but I e-mailed to ask about their well child check ups, because I really want that paper trail so we could never be accused of neglect. Would the chiro be bothered that we haven't done WBVs so far? Would they report it to someone? Our DS is in great health, never been on antibiotics, eats great, is meeting or exceeded all milestones, etc etc...he's obviously being well taken care of.

In addition to all of that, I'm interested in care from a chiro in general, for DH and myself as well.

Any thoughts/experiences?

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#2 of 5 Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 PM

As a chiropractor, I will tell you that a chiro won't, unless some states have laws I'm not familiar with, do medical checkups. They won't have "WBVs" in the way you're thinking of.

A chiro is in charge of chiropractic health concerns, not overall health concerns.

And it's true, many/most chiros don't believe in vaxes, b/c a true chiropractor is interested in increasing the communication between the body and central nervous system so that the body can help itself more perfectly. Most chiros don't see a problem with illness, and try to not interfere with the body's means of healing itself. Since vaxes interfere with the body's normal responses, it makes no sense for a chiro to believe in vaxes.

In fact it was during chiropractic school that I learned how bad vaccines are (not in a class...in fact our microbiology teacher never gave up a chance to talk UP vaccines...but in more general conversation outside of classes)!

If you suddenly had an ER visit and gave a chiropractor as the primary care provider, IMO (as a chiro), that would put up bigger red flags than having NO primary care provider! One of my classmates in chiro school did that while growing up (or rather her dad did), but we all thought it was strange. None of us had ANY interest in being considered a primary care physician!

Now, if a patient (practice member) chooses on their own to only use chiro and not have an MD or ND, that's fine (most chiros do that in my experience), but don't put it on the chiro.

People wanting me to *officially* be their ONLY doctor are one of the many reasons I gave up my practice. I couldn't handle the pressure of saying "you are chiropractically fine today" and having my practice members hear "you are FINE".
#3 of 5 Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD1 started WBV at age 4 for a paper trail as well. This was with a pedi practice, they might of assumed that we transfered from another office but have never asked for her records. I've taken her to a chiro since she was 1 but she didn't do anything but adjust her, it wasn't a WBV. I still think WBV are a waste of my time, but do them because of DD2's health history, it isn't pretty and I like a good doc knowing it and us if we ever had a need for a paper trail.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 5 Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

milkybean, thanks for clearing all of that up for me! I've been getting a lot of mixed info...from how my friend talks, I thought she had been doing WBVs with the chiro.

Thanks, Peony!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#5 of 5 Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 AM

My youngest has been seeing the chiro since she was 2 days old and has never been to any other doctor, but I don't see her chiro visits as WBVs. We just don't do WBVs and thankfully have never had to do any sick baby visits either! I would take her to the chiro if I felt there was an issue that I felt she could help with an adjustment, such as ears, throat, colds, etc.

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page