Worried about dr's appointment tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 17 months old and hasn't seen a dr since he was 13 months old. We moved and I just didn't think wbv's were crucial so I just kind of held off. Now, he's sick (I think it's an ear infection, poor baby) and I have an appointment at a military clinic for family members tomorrow morning. The appointment is with a nurse practitioner there.

I'm terrified. My last dr wasn't exactly thrilled with my choice not to vax, but he at least didn't act like I needed to be burned at the stake or anything. I'm so scared this nurse is going to find out we don't vax and see my son is sick and that I didn't take him to his 15 month wbv and think I'm a neglectful mother and call cps or something.

Could I have some support please? I'm really scared. I have no clue how awful this nurse will be tomorrow about it.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 AM

Don't let them get to you or bully you. Stick to your guns. You're there because your little one is sick. Has nothing on earth to do with vaccines.

-Angela
Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 AM

I agree with Angela. Just keep telling yourself that it is your legal right not to vaccinate your child. Don't back down and if you start to feel bullied or scared, leave! You don't have to stick around to be treated like garbage by someone who is supposed to be working for you.

It'll be okay, mama. You can do this.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 AM

as far as missing the WBV you could always just say you have been overwhelmed with moving and things. Not sure if vax status will come up but one way to get them to hush is to say religious exemption when/if they ask that will usually stop all questions and if not you can always say something about them not respecting your religious beliefs.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
grniys,

I was hoping you would update us on how the appointment went

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM

One thing I've learned on here is to just keep bringing the topic back to todays visit; you aren't there to discuss vax status, just his ears...

besides, what would having had a vax (or 10) do to protect his ears?

let us know how it went--
Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I read the first 3 replies last night, and it helped calm me down some. Thanks for the encouragement.

The appointment went just fine. Vaccines weren't even mentioned! Yay! I guess it probably helped that my son had a fever and cried any time anyone other than me touched him- not so yay .

Thanks for the support. I was just sooo worried, because the time he went to ER for an ear infection the dr was an absolute... well, let's just say he was a UAV... because my ds isn't vaccinated.

I am going to keep up with the WBV's from now on just so if this happens again I don't have to worry about them thinking I'm a bad mom or anything.

Thanks so much for all the support.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:33 PM

I think going to the WBV is a good idea, just to give them less ammunition. I find if I can stay very calm and matter-of-fact when asked about vaccines and just say, "we don't vaccinate because of religious objections" the conversation ends right then, regardless of the militant tone in which they originally asked if we were up to date on vaccines. I think the WBV just helps remove any question about medical neglect v. just objections to vaccines.

I'm glad your son is okay and that the visit went much smoother than you anticipated.

User Tag List