WBV, Non-vaxing and Formula Feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some opinions here, irt a situation I'm dealing with lately. I ebf, and we don't vax, but what about someone who ffeeds? Without the immunological protections breastmilk offers, should ffed babes get vaccines? Any of them? Or none?

Well baby visits?
Any or all or a few?

I was formula fed myself, but I know absolutely nothing about it beyond it's obvious drawbacks.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM

In my opinion, vaccines compromise a baby's immune system, which is why they should never be given to a baby who is ill or fighting an infection. Since formula-fed babies are not getting the immune system-boosting benefits of breastmilk, I would think they'd be even worse candidates for vaccination than EBF babies.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#3 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 PM

#4 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 09:10 PM

My twins were preemies, ebf for 4 months then ff after that, completely vax free, 2.5 years old now with only a few minor colds since birth all while teething. FF kids can be just as healthy as any other baby

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#5 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
In my opinion, vaccines compromise a baby's immune system, which is why they should never be given to a baby who is ill or fighting an infection. Since formula-fed babies are not getting the immune system-boosting benefits of breastmilk, I would think they'd be even worse candidates for vaccination than EBF babies.
yes, that's my gut instinct, as well.

angie7, thanks for your comment. i didn't mean to come off snarky, ff babes can definitely be healthy

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#6 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
thanks for the link!

#7 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
My twins were preemies, ebf for 4 months then ff after that, completely vax free, 2.5 years old now with only a few minor colds since birth all while teething. FF kids can be just as healthy as any other baby
Me too except that mine were not bf at all...and except that we vaxed up to six mos. (I hadn't found MDC yet!)
#8 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM

I would not vaccinate if my son was not breastfed, but I would be trying to get breast milk and or improving his diet as much as possible. It is a personal thing.
#9 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 AM

My baby is formula fed, entirely due to idiotic healthcare professionals offering their really bad advice (it is a long, awful story, and I still have a lot of mama-guilt over not being able to bf my baby). Although I would much prefer for her to breastfed, the fact that she is on formula does not make me any more likely to vaccinate.

When it comes to vaccines my mama-instincts are screaming "NO!! Don't do it!!" Ignoring my instincts so far in my daughter's short life have caused me to have an intervention-filled labour, a c-section, and completely ruined any chance at a breastfeeding relationship. So in fact the experiences I had leading up to my daughter being on formula has made me even more determined not to vaccinate at this time.

I am a SAHM, so that makes me worry a little less about VPDs. If I was able to breastfeed it would probably make me worry a little less about VPDs as well. But being formula fed certainly doesn't make me worry any less about vaccine side effects.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#10 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
Ignoring my instincts so far in my daughter's short life have caused me to have an intervention-filled labour, a c-section, and completely ruined any chance at a breastfeeding relationship.

I certainly know about ignoring instincts, interventions in a labor (with "homebirth midwives", even!) and ultimately an unnecessarean. I surely do.

Only by the "luck" of being booted from the hospital at 42 hours post-op, and having hefty first hand knowledge of nursing (I nursed until 4, all three brothers to 2 and my half sis until she was almost 5) AND being so incredibly angry at the MDs, the midwives, and my husband and aunt who dragged me to the hospital helped me ignore all the "helpful" advice of my aunt, and kept me out from under the watchful eye of the MDs and nurses. Didn't feel like luck at the time, but since my milk didn't come in until the 5th full day, it sure was lucky for DS.

ANyway, I'm sorry that happened to you.

And I like how you state that FF doesn't lesson your concerns over the vaccines themselves.

And lastly, just b/c a person is breastfed doesn't mean they will be healthy as a horse! I'm a case in point on that. Nursed to 4 but got every cold that came around, food allergies/sensitivities, even got scarlet fever and no one gets that. Later on had environmental allergies, now I'm prone to asthma...so not all breastfed kids are pictures of health. (though I was indeed vaxed which might be a causative factor there)
#11 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
FF kids can be just as healthy as any other baby
Or healthier!
My son was formula-fed (and when we have another in 2-3 years, she will be too) and he's no better or worse off than any other child in his playgroup. A good friend of mine does the EBF thing and her kids are sick at least as often as DS has been. There's a lot going on in a baby. I consider how you nourish your kid to be a personal choice, and separate from other decisions, such as whether or not to vax, go back to work, etc.

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#12 of 13 Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post

I certainly know about ignoring instincts, interventions in a labor (with "homebirth midwives", even!) and ultimately an unnecessarean. I surely do.

me too, unfortunately. homebirth midwife, unnecessarean and all. i am also grateful that the situation i went thru was my second birth/child, and I already had 4.5 yrs of nursing experience.

big hugs to you, and to lily. i'm sorry that any of us had such awful experiences.

i also feel like the vaccines are dangerous no matter what baby is eating-it's so helpful to get some reassurances for what i felt instinctively all along.

#13 of 13 Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neostudded View Post
I would not vaccinate if my son was not breastfed, but I would be trying to get breast milk and or improving his diet as much as possible. It is a personal thing.
I agree. I failed at BF at 3 months. I was off work 5 months. I don't have internet access at home--only work. I wish I would have had access to MDC during those months. I'm almost positive I'd still be BF right now I jumped on here once when BF was nearing an end, begging for help. Too late. Got a LC, but...it was just too late. I wish I would have known about donor milk....I wish another mama could have nursed my baby to teach her how to latch right, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
When it comes to vaccines my mama-instincts are screaming "NO!! Don't do it!!" Ignoring my instincts so far in my daughter's short life have caused me to have an intervention-filled labour, a c-section, and completely ruined any chance at a breastfeeding relationship. So in fact the experiences I had leading up to my daughter being on formula has made me even more determined not to vaccinate at this time.
Same here My daughter is 16 months and still takes 16-24 oz of formula/day (more/less depending). If I was BF, she would be able to nurse for as long as she wanted. I want to give her the same opportunity with formula--when she doesn't want/need it, she'll let me know. I like that she's still on formula with cold/flu season here, I like knowing she's getting complete nutrition (instead of picky-toddler-eating-syndrome only ).

ETA to the OP--I've taken dd to a "few" WBV. I took her to all of them the first 3 months (glad I did because they caught that she wasn't gaining weight due to failed BF). I took her for 6 mos WBV. And I didn't take her again until this past one--15mos, I think (because they were hounding me, so I took her to shut them up). She's due for her 18mos, but I will skip it. I hate taking her...there's just no point to it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page