Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
Really? Not anything? Really?
I dunno- do oatmeal baths count for chicken pox?

Fluids and chicken soup?

Rest and tv?

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I dunno- do oatmeal baths count for chicken pox?

Fluids and chicken soup?

Rest and tv?

-Angela

What about antibiotics for pertussis, diphtheria and pneumococcus? It's not just all about the varicella.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#33 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM

To Whom It May Concern:

My family’s religious beliefs prohibit us from using many modern medical tests such as blood tests, immunizations, x-rays, and most other invasive medical procedures. As such, we will be unable to provide you with an immunization record or iron level for our visits.

I am aware that according to WIC federal guidelines we may not qualify for WIC if our other medical and dietary factors are normal.

“Bloodwork Exemptions

Certain participants may be granted an exemption from the bloodwork requirement:

• Individuals whose religious beliefs prohibit the taking of blood (i.e., Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Scientists, etc.)

• Applicants with chronic medical conditions such as hemophilia or AIDS, if their doctor documents that they are getting medical care, requests that you not do
additional blood tests, and provides bloodwork information periodically.

These cases must be documented and dealt with as follows:

• Explain to the applicant/participant the purpose of bloodwork and its use as a reason for certification. Let them know that they may not qualify for WIC if other medical and dietary factors are normal, since Hct,Hgb/FEP results will not be available. Document in the chart that you have provided this information.

• Document the reason for the absence of bloodwork in the participant chart.

• Assess anthropometric, dietary and medical information for nutritional risk
and conduct all other steps appropriate for certification”

Codes 99/99.9 – Allowable reasons for waiving bloodwork include the following and must be documented in the client’s chart:
1. Infant is 6 months and blood work is waived to comply with CDC guidelines.
2. Applicants whose religious beliefs shall not allow them to have blood drawn.
3. Applicants with “life long” medical conditions such as hemophilia.
4. Applicants with a treatable skin disease or with a serious skin condition.

hh2.gif

#34 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I have done the research on the disease, the causes, and the likelihood of contracting it in my day to day life, and combined with that information and the fact that I have a strong negative reaction to the vax, I have made the decision to no longer vaccinate myself against Tetanus.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
The body is the temple of God, so to pollute it, is defiling the temple of God.
Can you refuse the prick on these grounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I can not believe how unkind some responding posters have been to the OP. It certainly doesn't make any of you look better than if that's what you were going for.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about tetanus or any other infection from a sterile needle finger prick at the WIC office.
Totally.

Plus, it really is a sterile prick. Just like when you test blood sugar for diabetes. I don't worry about getting tetnus every morning and evening from my test kit! plus I reuse lancetts, tell me who doesn't!! Its not like I share.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#35 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
What about antibiotics for pertussis, diphtheria and pneumococcus? It's not just all about the varicella.
I would not use antibiotics for pertussis. Chance of my kids getting diphtheria is about nil, so honestly I've not researched treatments. Pneumococcus chances of them getting the vax strains are close to nil.

-Angela
#36 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I would not use antibiotics for pertussis. Chance of my kids getting diphtheria is about nil, so honestly I've not researched treatments. Pneumococcus chances of them getting the vax strains are close to nil.

-Angela
The question wasn't about what you would do. The question was whether there are, in fact, treatments beyond supportive measures for most VPD, and the answer is that yes, there are.

#37 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
And tetanus isn't just out there, waiting to get in. It's in/on specific things, which is why the barnyard reference is made, b/c it can be found in things with poop on them.
The increased risk to farmers is so small I'm not sure that it would be statistically significant. Tetanus spores are everywhere (even in dust) but you are more likely to be struck by lightening than to contract it. The case studies I've happened to read concerning tetanus were elderly gardeners, and middle aged men of indifferent health, none of which were on farms.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#38 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
Really? Not anything? Really?
I think she is referring to pharmaceuticals.

For pertussis, antibiotics are to prevent pnumonia in infants and to prevent the spread of the disease to the patient's contacts. The patient can be treated with sodium ascorbate and what ever makes them comfortable.

Measles? High doses of vitamin A, rest, fluids. There is nothing to do for a typical case.

For childhood illnesses comfort measures and increases in certain vitamins are pretty much all you do. I do have Romm's book for treatment ideas.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#39 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

I'm all for helping out with religious exemptions, but discussions of religious issues in general can get snarky. How about we all play nice and be helpful to one another.

#40 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Wow, this thread got really nasty for some reason. I didn't realize people here are expected to defend their religious beliefs when deciding not to vaccinate.

Instead of derisively snarking at someone who is seeking help and information, maybe some of you could actually, you know...help her.

3lilpunkins, you've gotten some good responses in here despite the rudeness, especially mysticmomma's letter of explanation. The DTaP archives here and all of the information at Inside Vaccines might also help you out.

And yeah, you're not going to get tetanus from a sterile needle prick in a modern medical office. Other infections, maybe, but almost certainly not tetanus.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#41 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The question wasn't about what you would do. The question was whether there are, in fact, treatments beyond supportive measures for most VPD, and the answer is that yes, there are.

Except that antibiotics for pertussis don't help the person with pertussis. Their real purpose is to prevent transmission. So they shouldn't really be considered a treatment.

-Angela
#42 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope, we used vitamin C rich foods and breastmilk. No man made substances at all.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#43 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

I thought I heard on TV/read in a book that 666 was a mistranslation, the actual number in the original Hebrew was 636.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#44 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Except that antibiotics for pertussis don't help the person with pertussis. Their real purpose is to prevent transmission. So they shouldn't really be considered a treatment.

-Angela
Why not? The people around you mean nothing?

Also, I've had pertussis, and a good solid whack of narcotics worked better as an antitussive than anything else I tried during the month before I was diagnosed.

#45 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Nope, we used vitamin C rich foods and breastmilk. No man made substances at all.
If you had read my next post, you would have seen that my point was there are treatments that are not breastmilk, etc., and that my point was not what any individual chose to use but that the treatments are available.

#46 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM

Hey, a religious exemption is probably really important to most of us on this thread.....what's with all the picking on someone who honestly uses one?

And this is *not* to be snarky to the OP...but I have been noticing IRL and online that a lot of people are really freaked out about tetanus and have a lot of mythical beliefs....what's up with that?

OP, where did you learn about tetanus? Did another doctor edumacate you?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#47 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Also, I've had pertussis, and a good solid whack of narcotics worked better as an antitussive than anything else I tried during the month before I was diagnosed.
It's not a treatment then. And no, I wouldn't use them.

-Angela
#48 of 52 Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post
Wow, this thread got really nasty for some reason. I didn't realize people here are expected to defend their religious beliefs when deciding not to vaccinate.

Instead of derisively snarking at someone who is seeking help and information, maybe some of you could actually, you know...help her.
That's what most of us have been trying to do. But it's really hard to help someone when you can barely understand them, and they continually change directions and then accuse you of mocking their not-previously-mentioned religious beliefs.
#49 of 52 Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Chance of my kids getting diphtheria is about nil, so honestly I've not researched treatments.
-Angela
My family history: My great grandparents had something like 8 children. ONE of them got diphtheria.

My great grandfather stayed up with her all day and night, and when her breathing became labored, he would open her mouth and with his finger sweep the membrane, that had grown in her throat, away. He did that until the illness had worn itself out and the membrane wasn't growing anymore.

So there's a treatment for ya. A bit exhausting, but nothing else (other than maybe chiropractic, depending on when he became one and depending on when he gave up his practice compared to when his daughter got the disease) was done for her and she made it through.

(and let's note again that with two parents and about 7 siblings, only ONE person in the house got it)
#50 of 52 Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Hey, a religious exemption is probably really important to most of us on this thread.....what's with all the picking on someone who honestly uses one?

And this is *not* to be snarky to the OP...but I have been noticing IRL and online that a lot of people are really freaked out about tetanus and have a lot of mythical beliefs....what's up with that?

OP, where did you learn about tetanus? Did another doctor edumacate you?
OK, yay!! I finally got a few good answers!!!
My deal is this, I realized I was against vaxing b4 I investigated these diseases. My choice is not based on how serious are these diseases, and how likely am I to get them. My choice was based on religious beleifs, NOW I'm working on figuring out all these VPDs. I really thought you could only get tetanus from stepping on a rusty nail or something, but this is my precious baby, I can't take any chances with him. I'd rather forfeit WIC than forfeit DS.

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
#51 of 52 Old 11-07-2008, 11:43 PM

Kelly....I totally understood everything you said.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#52 of 52 Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:

#1- Don't cough on "the people around you", wash your hands and encourage them to wash their hands and not to touch their face; just like you would with any disease. I had pertussis a couple of years ago and dh did not get ill; if I avoid getting too close or coughing on him he does not catch what I have.

#2-The antibiotics kill the bacteria, not the toxin. If you are showing symptoms the bacteria have already produced enough toxin to make you sick.

#3-Killing your gut flora weakens your immune system and inhibits your recovery.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page