A question about WIC and tetnus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, when you go get reevaluated(spelling?) they prick your finger & check your blood iron level.It never bothered me while we were vaxing,but now that we're not, I'm concerned about tetnus.Is it likely that tetnus woud result??

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
#2 of 52 Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM

No, they are causing you to bleed for a sample. Tetanus doesn't thrive in a bleeding wound.
#3 of 52 Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM

I'd be more worried about MRSA than tetanus.

I'm pretty sure you can refuse the testing, though.
#4 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM

We refuse "for religious reasons". WIC is mandated to offer the screening but being a federal program they are not allowed to discrimate based on religious beliefs. We typed up our own waiver and they have copies for each child on file..we have used multiple WIC locations over the years and have only had minimal hassles. Know your rights and stand firm.

Mama to my tribe
#5 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I've used a religious exemption for vaxes, and I can honestly say, I am opposed to them on a religious level.
But how could you justify a religious exemption for testing blood for iron?
It never crossed my mind to opt out due to religion for that too...
I'm just curious, How could you explain to someone, I know its really none of their business, and the law still applies even if you dont belong to a church or group that supports that idea.
But I just like to have bullets to load up with, just in case

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
#6 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
I've used a religious exemption for vaxes, and I can honestly say, I am opposed to them on a religious level.
I'm just curious, How could you explain to someone, I know its really none of their business, and the law still applies even if you dont belong to a church or group that supports that idea.
Some people hold a religious belief that blood is sacred and that to spill it on purpose is inherently wrong. (That's way over simplifying, but that's the gist.)
#7 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
So, when you go get reevaluated(spelling?) they prick your finger & check your blood iron level.It never bothered me while we were vaxing,but now that we're not, I'm concerned about tetanus.Is it likely that tetanus would result??
I have to ask you a serious question - why are you NOT vaxing against Tetanus, if you believe that it can be contracted by a simple sterile needle prick?

I have done the research on the disease, the causes, and the likelihood of contracting it in my day to day life, and combined with that information and the fact that I have a strong negative reaction to the vax, I have made the decision to no longer vaccinate myself against Tetanus. That being said, I would never advise someone to refuse vaccines unless they knew WHY they were refusing.
#8 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So, when you go get reevaluated(spelling?) they prick your finger & check your blood iron level.It never bothered me while we were vaxing,but now that we're not, I'm concerned about tetnus.Is it likely that tetnus woud result??
Is your WIC office in a barnyard? BEcause if not, no.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#9 of 52 Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I have to ask you a serious question - why are you NOT vaxing against Tetanus, if you believe that it can be contracted by a simple sterile needle prick?

I have done the research on the disease, the causes, and the likelihood of contracting it in my day to day life, and combined with that information and the fact that I have a strong negative reaction to the vax, I have made the decision to no longer vaccinate myself against Tetanus. That being said, I would never advise someone to refuse vaccines unless they knew WHY they were refusing.
I know the wound needs to bleed, I just get worried, purposely opening your skin and having a possibility of infection or tetnus.

I am not vaxing at all, not just not for tetnus. I believe we are created in the image of God, so needing foreign substances injected into our bodies, is basically saying God's design isn't good enough,therefore, it's insulting to Him.
Also, The body is the temple of God, so to pollute it, is defiling the temple of God.

I just got my first vax book, I'm slowly but surely getting into it. It covers how to properly care for VPDs.I just thought I'd ask, and get some opinions on tetnus.

#10 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I know the wound needs to bleed, I just get worried, purposely opening your skin and having a possibility of infection or tetnus.

I am not vaxing at all, not just not for tetnus. I believe we are created in the image of God, so needing foreign substances injected into our bodies, is basically saying God's design isn't good enough,therefore, it's insulting to Him.
Also, The body is the temple of God, so to pollute it, is defiling the temple of God.

I just got my first vax book, I'm slowly but surely getting into it. It covers how to properly care for VPDs.I just thought I'd ask, and get some opinions on tetnus.
This is not meant to be snarky, but how exactly are you going to care for those VPDs without foreign substances? Is the difference between injecting and ingesting really that important? (food is a foreign substance)

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#11 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well how else can anyone claim a religious exemption. Anyway, I try to use herbs and natural remedies, foreign yes, but toxic & polluting,no.
I mean, this is how I see it, It's good enough for the doctors.
Food, God intended for us to ingest. He designed food to sustain life. Vaccines are not the work of God. For if they were, they would be 100% effective, without containing aborted babies,monkey kidneys,heavy metals, and toxic chemicals.Did you know if you assign a multiple of 6 to every letter, (a=6,b=12,c=18,d=24.....) Apply that to the word "vaccination" add up all the numbers, the sum is 666. coinsidence?
Any way, I guess I should research my own questions instead of asking for opinions here. I thought this was a place where knowledge moms try to help each other out, not gang up on a newbie.

#12 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Apply that to the word "vaccination" add up all the numbers, the sum is 666. coinsidence?
Actually, yes. Yes it is.
#13 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Any way, so far my book mostly is talking about good nutrtion, drinking plenty of water, getting lots of rest, keeping warm, and NOT medicating fevers. Now that I think about it, I don't recall her mentioning anything about giving them anything at all except TLC

#14 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Your child's skin gets opened on an almost daily basis. I know mine does. Falling and skinning her knee will open her up to infection. I think the risk is greater on a dirty sidewalk than with a sterile needle. Just my opinon, though.
#15 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
:
#16 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton View Post
May I humbly point out, not coincidence. It's math.
#17 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
May I humbly point out, not coincidence. It's math.
Right you are. Also "Jesus" adds up to 666 is you assign each letter a multiplier of 9. Ooooh, spooky.
#18 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Well how else can anyone claim a religious exemption. Anyway, I try to use herbs and natural remedies, foreign yes, but toxic & polluting,no.
Food, God intended for us to ingest. He designed food to sustain life. Vaccines are not the work of God. For if they were, they would be 100% effective, without containing aborted babies,monkey kidneys,heavy metals, and toxic chemicals.Did you know if you assign a multiple of 6 to every letter, (a=6,b=12,c=18,d=24.....) Apply that to the word "vaccination" add up all the numbers, the sum is 666. coinsidence?
Any way, I guess I should research my own questions instead of asking for opinions here. I thought this was a place where knowledge moms try to help each other out, not gang up on a newbie.
I say this with all gentleness . . . . you realise that assigning a number that's a multiple of 6 will get you a result that's divisible by 6, right?
So, while most of the parents here do not vaccinate or selectively vaccinate our kids, it's not because we think it's a mark of an anti-Christ, or an alien plot, or a government conspiracy.
As far as the finger prick goes, as long as your WIC office is not using rusty needles dipped in horse manure the chances of contracting tetanus are slim to none.

Gently,
sophiekat

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#19 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I didnt say it was the mark of the beast or anything. I was merely pointing out something I found interesting.Which everyone who read that appartently missed my point and got side tracked by the #s.How is anyone supposed to claim a religious exemption, when everyones tears it up and disects it? you all say,"its none of their business what religion you are...", I thought you just said that b/c the laws do not descriminate by naming certain religions, I didn't realize it was b/c you are really not religiously opposed, but rather morally opposed.

I mean you could turn anyone's "religious views" around on them and say, well that's not really religious b/c....

If you're using a religious exemption, it's because it contradicts what you religiously believe.If I believe its a slap in God's face by injecting crap of all sorts into my child's body, then that's what I believe, and I can have a religious exemption, sorry if so many of you disagree.

#20 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Did you know if you assign a multiple of 6 to every letter, (a=6,b=12,c=18,d=24.....) Apply that to the word "vaccination" add up all the numbers, the sum is 666. coinsidence?
So, vaccination is only a risk in English speaking countries then?

nothing more to say I guess :
#21 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If you're using a religious exemption, it's because it contradicts what you religiously believe.If I believe its a slap in God's face by injecting crap of all sorts into my child's body, then that's what I believe, and I can have a religious exemption, sorry if so many of you disagree.
Well, it's a darn good thing that there's nothing toxic that occurs naturally then! Especially not plants.
My kids are as unvaccinated as the next person's but you have to understand some basic information about the diseases you are not vaccinating against or you are going to freak out over every teeny little thing. Also, if you spell it tetanus you will have more success researching it online.
#22 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Just in case it isn't clear, tetanus is an organism that cannot live in the presence of oxygen. So if a wound has bled, if it's been open to bleed (not just a bruise), then oxygen is there. So tetanus isn't going to live.

And tetanus isn't just out there, waiting to get in. It's in/on specific things, which is why the barnyard reference is made, b/c it can be found in things with poop on them. So when my brother fell from the garage roof into our old chicken coop onto the rolled bale of old barbed wire (rusty, even), YES I'm sure he got a tetanus shot, b/c that's NOT a good place to fall. (not sure if I would give a shot but my mom did and it's hard to argue with it, unlike when she was given a tetanus shot b/c a spider bit her, and they gave her the DTP shot to boot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I'd be more worried about MRSA than tetanus.
And OP that is the sort of infection you would be worried about, especially in a medical setting. Those serious, aerobic (thrive in oxygen, unlike the anaerobic organisms) bacteria and viruses that hang out in such settings are much more likely to cause a problem, b/c being exposed to oxygen isn't a problem for them.

Sorry your religious reasons don't seem to go along with others' religious reasons. Religious exemption is a funny. Conveniently, with church and state being separate, "they" can't legally ask you even what religion you are, let alone get into a debate with them! But as an example of the differences, hubby is Buddhist. To him, the teachings clearly show that vaccines are wrong. But the Dalai Lama doesn't feel the same, and you can clearly see his smallpox vaccination scar on his arm (I have mine on my BACK, right over my T4 and T5 vertebrae, yuck). We see the animals killed, the poisons in the vaccine, and we also do not fear illness. But he sees some "greater good" that I guess makes the deaths and poisons worth it and OK.

So even when you're inside a religion, different people can have different views.

And that's funny about the 666 thing. Math games are fun!
#23 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 PM

I can not believe how unkind some responding posters have been to the OP. It certainly doesn't make any of you look better than if that's what you were going for.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about tetanus or any other infection from a sterile needle finger prick at the WIC office.

blogging.jpg

#24 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I'm confused, as I'm not a creationist, but didn't god create the aborted fetuses, monkey kidneys, etc., etc. that you're referencing? Am I missing something?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#25 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't say it was the mark of the beast or anything. I was merely pointing out something I found interesting.
Which everyone who read that apparently missed my point and got side tracked by the #s.
What is interesting about 666 in and of itself? That is, outside of the book of Revelation citing it as "the mark"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins
How is anyone supposed to claim a religious exemption, when everyone tears it up and dissects it? you all say,"its none of their business what religion you are...", I thought you just said that b/c the laws do not discriminate by naming certain religions, I didn't realize it was b/c you are really not religiously opposed, but rather morally opposed.
Some of us ARE religiously opposed to some of the vaccines. Or all of them. Or even medical procedures at all. And what is the difference between moral and religious, in your opinion? Aren't ones morals based upon their religious beliefs (even if their "religious" beliefs are strictly "secular humanism"?)

Quote:
I mean you could turn anyone's "religious views" around on them and say, well that's not really religious b/c....
This seems to be a non sequitur.

Quote:
I don't recall anyone telling you otherwise. Just to be informed about your decisions.
#26 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Right you are. Also "Jesus" adds up to 666 is you assign each letter a multiplier of 9. Ooooh, spooky.
And, on your birthday, if you subtract your age from the current year, and then add 50 times 2, you'll get an answer that tells you what year you will turn 100!
#27 of 52 Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 PM

OP, the archives on DTaP have a lot of info. i hope you continue your research and find answers that are helpful.

if a wound bleeds, it's not a tetanus risk. crushing and burning wounds seem to be associated w/ tetanus. poor circulation (age, diabetes) are also risk factors. there were less than 1,000 cases in the year before vaccinations for tetanus were started, so it's exceedingly rare.
#28 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
eh, I could formulate a religious objection pretty easily...

here we go:
The skin is a sacred vessel holding the human body together. To pierce it intentionally allows an opening where evil can enter or bits of the soul can escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
This is not meant to be snarky, but how exactly are you going to care for those VPDs without foreign substances? Is the difference between injecting and ingesting really that important? (food is a foreign substance)
Most of the vaccine available diseases are really not diseases we "treat" *with* anything....

-Angela
#29 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I'm pretty sure you can refuse the testing, though.
I didn't know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him View Post
We refuse "for religious reasons". WIC is mandated to offer the screening but being a federal program they are not allowed to discrimate based on religious beliefs. We typed up our own waiver and they have copies for each child on file..we have used multiple WIC locations over the years and have only had minimal hassles. Know your rights and stand firm.
I'm bummed! I refused to let them prick dd's itty bitty finger to check for iron. If the doctor I chose for dd didn't find it neccessary to check for iron, I found it ridiculous that this place was going to FORCE me to do so.

They told me if I didn't get dd's iron checked, I could no longer benefit from the program. Fine. I've struggled (and continue to) but I thought it was complete BS that they could FORCE me to put dd through a needless (IMO) test. Damn. Wish I would have known about religious exemption before. I guess I can re-apply with this, yes? (FTR, I wasn't worried about tetanus--just didn't believe it was right for them to FORCE me to do that. I have a problem with people/places forcing me to do anything, specially something I (and her doctor) didn't feel the need to do).

Quote:
: *snort*
#30 of 52 Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Most of the vaccine available diseases are really not diseases we "treat" *with* anything....

-Angela
Really? Not anything? Really?

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page