Planning to homeschool and baby will never be in daycare. Do we need an exemption? - Mothering Forums
I'm Not Vaccinating > Planning to homeschool and baby will never be in daycare. Do we need an exemption?
peainthepod's Avatar peainthepod 02:31 PM 11-03-2008
I ask because I'm planning to be a SAHM indefinitely and we are homeschooling. Today is my due date and I'm still undecided as to whether we'll even take our baby in for a WBV after the birth, since my midwife does the heel prick and infant exams a week after the baby is born.

Would you get an exemption if you were in my shoes? I live in New York so it would have to be a religious one, as my state doesn't offer philosophical exemptions. I can't imagine why we'd need one except maybe to protect ourselves in case of an ER visit and some overzealous person calling CPS (?) because we don't vaccinate.

I worry about getting our son's/family's name on some kind of list of conscientious non-vaccinators or whatever (yes, I am paranoid sometimes); wouldn't it be safer and smarter to fly under the radar as long as possible? My gut says yes but I want to make sure I'm not missing some obvious legal flaw with this plan.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks, mamas.

ETA: DH is totally on board with not vaccinating, so a potential custody issue in future doesn't seem to be a concern.

Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 02:33 PM 11-03-2008
I see no need for an exemption. The exemption is something you submit to the school or daycare provider. I'm not sure who you'd even submit an exemption to if you're not using school or daycare.

If your family situation changes in the future, and daycare and/or school becomes needed, you can deal with the exemption at that time.
JamesMama's Avatar JamesMama 04:14 PM 11-03-2008
It depends on the state. I'm in Iowa and vaccine records (or exemption) are required for homeschool students. It's dumb IMO.

I'm not sure about NY laws.
Thandiwe's Avatar Thandiwe 03:35 AM 11-06-2008
I've personally had to battle a local hospital during an er visit, so I went online and printed out our state's one page waiver form. I keep blank copies here and fill them out as needed. For example, he saw a new doctor recently who I know is really mainstream. Beforehand, I filled it out and signed it. When we arrived, I had them photocopy and file away in their charts. I feel like it's just a simple form - better to be safe than sorry.
Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 01:41 PM 11-06-2008
Your child will likely be entered into the registry when his birth certificate is filed; I don't think that is optional.

I'd get some letters notarized and have them handy for the Dr. or ER visit.

Sample Religious Exemption Letter

Quote:
To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health ยง 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

Sincerely,

Your signature.
Date

Pariah's Avatar Pariah 02:23 PM 11-06-2008
I have a similar letter with our state's religious exemption information on our computer, to print off as needed. We've never had to use it, but I wanted to have it prepared just in case of something weird happening. I wouldn't want to have to search around for the laws in an emergency situation.
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 08:24 PM 12-01-2008
We never needed one, and dd was HSed all the way.
spero's Avatar spero 12:23 PM 12-02-2008
You shouldn't need an exemption at all. If your child sees a pro-vax physician, you'll likely be strong-armed to sign a Refusal to Vaccinate form for the file (though I would refuse to do so, it isn't required by law).

Unfortunately, you can't really fly under the radar in this state. In NYS the vaccine registry is no longer optional, and if you are not vaccinating it is recorded there.
KimPM's Avatar KimPM 01:20 AM 12-06-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
I've personally had to battle a local hospital during an er visit, so I went online and printed out our state's one page waiver form. I keep blank copies here and fill them out as needed. For example, he saw a new doctor recently who I know is really mainstream. Beforehand, I filled it out and signed it. When we arrived, I had them photocopy and file away in their charts. I feel like it's just a simple form - better to be safe than sorry.
bens_mommy_2005 - where did you get the state waiver form? do you have a link? TIA!
spero's Avatar spero 01:51 AM 12-06-2008
Maryland Immunization Waiver

(bottom of the first page)
Thandiwe's Avatar Thandiwe 05:43 PM 12-06-2008
This is for Michigan, but they have a great website. Check it out.
Up