Hoop jumping... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh is in the Army and we have recently moved on post. My two youngest are not vaccinated so in order to use the child and youth services I have to get a memo from a chaplain and then i have to take it to the community health nurse and a doc has to review it...anyone have experience with this? is it hard to get approved? i'm sure it depends on the doc...how frustrating...i lived off post and all i had to do was sign my little waiver and NO ONE gave me an issue! anywho just need to vent and ask a quick question...thanks
#2 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM

I thought they should have to accept your waiver. Your dh is military not you or your kids.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I have been searching all the regs and no where does it read that I have to get a chaplain's memo...hum...off to call the community health nurse and ask
#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustysSweety03 View Post

I thought they should have to accept your waiver. Your dh is military not your or your kids.
But she wants to use military services, so their hoops she must jump.

Everyone you have to talk to will tell you a different requirement. Always demand (nicely) that they put their request in writing, reference the regulation, and sign their name to it.

The Army regs do not require a chaplain's signature for a child's exemptions.

Remember that you are a civilian, your children are civilians, and that they are not disease infested swamp things ). Also, as a civilian you can be Wiccan or Catholic and still be "opposed to the practice of immunization". The Chaplain can govern the exemptions of service members but not dependents. If you have a sympathetic person in your dh's chain of command you may want to take them to any meetings; in any case you will want a witness and to write down what they have told you immediately afterwards.

[quote]

MOTHERING THREAD
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/member.php?u=51507

DODEA
Quote:
http://www.dodea.edu/foia/iod/pdf/1005_1.pdf

On page 70 (section 18.2):

"18.2.1.3 Religious — A student’s parent/sponsor may claim exemption from the DoDEA immunization requirements for religious reasons. If the parent maintains the need to continue the religious exemption during a documented outbreak of a contagious disease, the student will be excluded from school for his/her protection and the safety of the other students until the contagious period is over. Religious exemptions require a written statement from the parent/sponsor stating that he/she objects to the vaccination based upon personal beliefs. "
and...
Quote:
Paragraph 3-2.b.(4) at the bottom of page 10 of this document:

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf It specifically states, "(4) Department of Defense schoolteachers, daycare center workers, and children attending DOD–sponsored schools
and daycare centers or similar facilities on military installations.
"
ARMY
Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf
pg. 10, section 3.2, para 4 says:

Quote:
In addition, all other age appropriate ACIP–recommended vaccines for children are required unless there is documentation of previous immunization, religious exemption, or medical contraindication.

Army Regulation 608-10

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r608_10.pdf
4-3
(2) A waiver of the immunization requirement must be approved in writing by the Chief, Preventive Medicine or
health consultant.
Parents must be counseled that children with waivers will be excluded from the program in the event
of vaccine preventable communicable disease outbreak.

C–37. Compliance item 15.

c. Equivalency. A waiver of immunizations signed by Chief, Preventive Medicine may be considered for religious
convictions.
Parents must be counseled that the child may be excluded during an outbreak of vaccine preventable
communicable disease.

MARINE CORPS
MCO P1710.30E
MR
24 Jun 04

2005. HEALTH AND SANITATION GUIDELINES

3. In CDCs, FCC/OFCC, SAC, Youth and Teen and private organizations:
a. Children enrolled in CDP shall have on file documentation of current age
appropriate immunizations as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Youth and Teen programs are exempt from this requirement.

http://www.usmc.mil/news/publication...W%20CH%201.pdf

AIR FORCE
Quote:
AFI 34-276 is the AFI that governs Family Child Care.
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/share.../AFI34-276.pdf

Page 53. "A5.40.3. The provider maintains medical information for each child, including permission to treat emergencies signed by the parent(s), child’s allergies, chronic illness and other known health prob-lems, and immunizations (or written documentation of parents’ objections for religious reasons). This information is recorded on the AF Form 1181, Youth Flight Patron Registration Form."
Compare with the requirements for military members' religious exemptions:

Quote:
http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfi.../afi34-248.pdf

AFI34-248 1 OCTOBER 1999 43
Chapter 11
HEALTH
11.1. Health Protection. Protect the health of staff, children, and parents while they are in the program.
Use Caring for Our Children: Health and Safety Guidelines for Out-of-Home Care as general guidance on
health issues not covered by this instruction.
11.2. Access. Limit the access of well children to children or adults with contagious illnesses.
11.2.1. Do not provide care to children without immunizations required by Air Force policy unless it
is an emergency.
(What is the Air Force policy that governs Immunizations, you ask?)

5.6. Child Development Program Assistant Training and Examinations.
5.6.8. Each staff member has had a physical examination within the last 3 years and the tests, examinations, and immunizations required by AF Joint Instruction 48-110, Immunizations and Chemprophylaxis.

Caring for Our Children: Health and Safety Guidelines for Out-of-Home Care
Under-Immunized Children-3.006 If immunizations are not given because of parents' religious beliefs, a waiver signed by the parent shall be on file. If a child who is not immunized is in care, the parents must be notified of the risk of the spread of preventable diseases.
http://nrc.uchsc.edu/ELG/elg_immunizations.htm
Quote:

http://www.vaccines.mil/documents/969r40_562.pdf
Army Regulation 40–562
BUMEDINST 6230.15A
AFJI 48–110 (Air Force Joint Instruction 48-110)
CG COMDTINST M6230.4F

2–6. Exemptions
There are 2 types of exemptions from immunization: medical and administrative. Granting medical exemptions is a
medical function that can only be validated by a health care professional. Granting administrative exemptions is a
non–medical function, usually controlled by the individual’s unit commander....

(3) Religious.
(a) For Service personnel, immunization exemptions for religious reasons may be granted according to Service–
specific policies to accommodate doctrinal religious beliefs. This is a command decision made with medical and
chaplain advice.
1. Requests for religious exemption must include name, rank, social security number (SSN), occupational specialty
code or branch, and a description of the religious tenet or belief contrary to immunization. Army: (see AR 600–20,
para 5–6). Air Force: Permanent exemptions for religious reasons will not be granted. The major command (MAJCOM)
commander is the designated approval and revocation authority for temporary immunization exemptions. Coast
Guard: CG–122 is the designated approval and revocation authority for temporary immunization exemptions.
2. A military physician must counsel the applicant. The physician should ensure that the Service personnel is
making an informed decision and should address, at a minimum, specific information about the diseases concerned;
specific vaccine information including product constituents, benefits, and risks; and potential risks of infection incurred
by unimmunized individuals.
3. The commander must counsel the individual and recommend approval or denial of the exemption request, by
endorsement. The commander must counsel that noncompliance with immunization requirements may adversely impact
deployability, assignment, or international travel, and that the exemption may be revoked under imminent risk
conditions. The commander, in making his or her recommendation, should consider the potential impact on the
individual, the unit, and the mission.
4. Forward exemption requests through command channels to the respective Service approval authority for decision.
Individuals with active requests for religious exemption are temporarily deferred from immunizations pending outcome
of their request. For USCG, forward through appropriate chain to G–WPM, via CG–1121.
(b) Civilian employees submit religious–exemption requests to their supervisors. Such requests will be processed in
accordance with 29 CFR 1605 and component and local policies.
c. Bargaining units. Civilian personnel affected by this document who are members of bargaining units will be
considered for exemption consistent with applicable personnel management policies.
d. Other categories. Administrative or medical personnel will appropriately annotate electronic ITS with exemption
codes denoting separation, permanent change of station, emergency leave, missing or prisoner of war, deceased, and
other appropriate categories.
United States> Code of Federal Regulations> Title 29 - Labor> CHAPTER XIV--EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION

29 C.F.R. PART 1605—GUIDELINES ON DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE OF RELIGION

§ 1605.1 “Religious” nature of a practice or belief.
In most cases whether or not a practice or belief is religious is not at issue. However, in those cases in which the issue does exist, the Commission will define religious practices to include moral or ethical beliefs as to what is right and wrong which are sincerely held with the strength of traditional religious views. This standard was developed in United States v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163 (1965) and Welsh v. United States, 398 U.S. 333 (1970). The Commission has consistently applied this standard in its decisions.1 The fact that no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not accept such belief will not determine whether the belief is a religious belief of the employee or prospective employee. The phrase “religious practice” as used in these Guidelines includes both religious observances and practices, as stated in section 701(j), 42 U.S.C. 2000e(j).

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 6 Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Emmeline! we need to make this information a sticky! i wasn't able to get ahold of the community health nurse this afternoon, but i will be trying in the morning!
#6 of 6 Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Just wanted to clarify one thing on the Air Force side of the house. AFI 34-276, Family Child Care Programs, provides guidance regarding FCC providers ... those who provide child care to no more than 6 children in their own home during the day (considered contractors by the government). AFI 34-248, Child Development Centers provides guidance regarding the CDC, which is basically the daycare center for AD dependants on the Air Force installation. Either way, both point to AFJI 48-110, Immunizations and Chemoprophylaxis as the standard for setting policy regarding immunization requirements. AFJI 48-110 does provide for religious exemption in 3-2(4), as stated above.

I am fighting this battle now. Hopefully I won't have to bring my chain of command into it ... :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page