Possibly Exposed to Whooping Cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a notice that there is a "whooping cough alert" going on in the small town I live in. I bring my kids to the gym with me and they see other kids there who also happen to go to the preschool that has some sick kids.
So it is possible my kids have been exposed to it as well. (plus just being around town)

I'm not too worried but I would like to hear what I need to know in case my kids do come down sick. I'd rather know what to look for and have any remedies on hand then try to figure this out when I have sick little one's with me.

My kids are 6.5yo, 5yo and 5 months. So I'd be most concerned about the baby but we do nurse so that should help, IF we were exposed.

Is there anything else I should know? (Support only please. Please do not post if you are going to say vax them. It is NOT an option for my family.)

Here is most of the info in the alert:

As of mid-afternoon on Wednesday, Nov. 12th, ......... County had one
> laboratory-confirmed case and approximately 20 suspected cases of
> pertussis, or WHOOPING COUGH. More than 100 contacts are being investigated. The Public Health Department is currently working with
> schools, child care centers, and local churches to identify
> exposed individuals and help them get treatment.
>
> According to the National Association of Pediatric Nurse
> Practitioners, whooping cough is a highly contagious disease marked by severe coughing. It is named after the "whoop" sound that children and adults sometimes make when they try to take a breath during or after a severe coughing spell.
>
> Whooping cough symptoms usually start with cold or flu-like
> symptoms, such
> as runny nose, sneezing, fever, and a mild cough. These symptoms can
> last up
> to 2 weeks and are followed by increasingly severe coughing spells.
> Fever,
> if present, is usually mild.
>
> During a classic coughing spell:
>
> * The recognizable "whoop" is heard as patients struggles to
> breathe;
>
> * Coughs usually produce a thick, productive mucus;
>
> * Vomiting may occur
>
> * Lips and nails may turn blue due to lack of oxygen; and
>
> * The patient is left exhausted after the coughing spell.
>
> Whooping cough is most contagious during the first 2 to 3 weeks of
> infection, often before the coughing spells begin. It is spread
> through
> face-to-face or direct contact with someone who is infected.
>
> Whooping cough is treated with antibiotics and patients are advised
> to take
> all prescribed medication and avoid contact with anyone,
> particularly small
> infants and children.
>
> Teenagers and ADULTS ARE AT RISK to catch whooping cough EVEN IF
> THEY WERE
> IMMUNIZED DURING CHILDHOOD. We have seen ........ County preschoolers
> with
> updated immunization that have questionable symptoms.
>
> If you or a family member have symptoms of whooping cough or may
> have been
> exposed, please call your primary care physician or the .......... County
> Public Health Department...
>

>
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 AM

I believe SA helps with pertussis (sodium ascorabate). I'm not sure how it gets passed in breast milk but I'm sure someone knows on another forum- perhaps those on health and healing? Your older kids can just take it mixed with something to disguise the taste.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 AM

It would only be serious for the baby. I'd just try to stay away from the gym for awhile and if anyone in the family starts to show symptoms get them to the doctor.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 AM

Whooping cough is always around; I probably would not want such a young baby in gym care during the winter, though taking SA would help boost his resistance.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinalonestar View Post
if anyone in the family starts to show symptoms get them to the doctor.
Why? No medical treatment for WC really....

-Angela
Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Exercise is important for me. Not just physically but also for mental health.
I'm not going to keep my baby home all winter unless I really have to.
Wish I had family or a partner who could help more at home (work less) but that isn't how it is. The baby is with a gentle MDC Mama and she can come get me if he needs me. I bet we can make sure no kids come with cold symptoms...not sure if WC is present before the cold like symptoms?

The local "health officials" are recommending people start antibiotics. We're not doing that either.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post
Exercise is important for me. Not just physically but also for mental health.
I'm not going to keep my baby home all winter unless I really have to.
Wish I had family or a partner who could help more at home (work less) but that isn't how it is. The baby is with a gentle MDC Mama and she can come get me if he needs me. I bet we can make sure no kids come with cold symptoms...not sure if WC is present before the cold like symptoms?

The local "health officials" are recommending people start antibiotics. We're not doing that either.
I'm not commenting on the "quality of care" just that anyone, in any state of health, can go to a gym and contact with their 'germs' is probably more likely than in other situations... With WC the bacteria proliferate then produce a toxin that produces symptoms so yes, it can be present before symptoms, though it is the symptoms that spread it and most people don't suspect they have it.

Your son would have to be on antibiotics for months anyway to "protect" against random contacts. In any case it is always around and this winter is not unique.

Just sayin'. Personally, I take my children everywhere, but I don't go to a gym; too much effort.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 11-16-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I understand. Thank you for the info. you've shared with me.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM

There is really nothing you can do once you have wc aside from SA. Just let it run its course. I say don't go to the dr unless you have to, like if they are dehydrated or having trouble recovering from a coughing spell. If your kids come down with it just take them out of school and say they are going on vacation or something. Don't tell them they have wc or that you suspect wc. They will report it to the health dept who then will be knocking on your door. If you are ok with that and ok with giving them antibiotics then by all means share but just warning you. You could probably look up my post about our WC adventure, I had more worry that CPS would be knocking on my door for medical neglect than I did about the cough. But they will require you to get antibiotics and they will require you to pull the children out of school.

If you are bfing your baby will probably fare ok. IGive them SA to gut tolerance. It really helps. My Chiro also showed me how to pound on their back to help the mucous come up. They liked that.

Like a pp said its always around. Best know how to deal with it regardless if they get this year. whoopingcough.net has great info too and has video and sound clips of the cough, but most of the cases don't have the classic whoop, just so you are aware.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:39 AM

Our pediatrician told us that WC is spread by the cough - the mucous and whatnot. I had a friend coming from NYC, and she was getting over WC. I called the ped and that's what he told us. So, someone would have to cough such that results from said cough would "land on" your child.
Also, many cases of WC don't involve the whoop. I was just reading about this because my son had a terrible cough. It seems that, when the whoop isn't present, and the other symptoms appear in vaccinated children, WC is diagnosed as bronchitis. I found that interesting.
Good luck!

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't assume that someone has to cough on the child, really. It's bacterial, so it can be anywhere. There doesn't appear to be any recent documentation of the effect of SA on toxins, but if you look at the older literature and the activity of SA in the body, you may conclude that it is useful. I certainly have, and have had incredible results with it, but as far as I know, we have never had pertussis.

If you supplement, that will pass along through the breastmilk, AFAIK. I really wouldn't worry about it.

User Tag List