They waste water! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was really annoyed at this woman at work tonight. I ran into her in the bathroom and she had the water running full blast to wash her hands and then she left the sink to get paper towels,came back dried her hands and then turned off the water with a new paper towel.

Two women at my work do this actually. The one woman nicely explained to me that it didn't make sense to wash her hands and the touch a dirty tap when I asked why she let it run. The other woman was rude and said that "water is free" !!! I'd made a little comment when I saw her walk away from the running water,I said "that's pretty wasteful you know". I felt like kicking her! :

So how can I deal with this water wasters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 AM

Well, it is more hygeinic to do it that way. I would probably try to get the towel dispenser moved instead.

And water 1) isn't free, it's just very, very cheap, and 2) money is so not the point.
#3 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

The dispenser is in the wall and can't really be moved. A person who cared more about the environment would have gotten the paper towels first and then washed their hands. They could have easily tucked the towels in their pocket or under their arms or something.
#4 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:36 AM

I do that, but I always go to the sink w/ the dispenser right there so that I can have one hand under while the other one is getting the Paper Towel out. Or b4 I wash my hands, I'll pump the towel w/ the side of my hand so it's ready to go... and I don't blast the water if I have a choice. I'm pretty big on conserving water, but also don't like public bathroom germs. It makes me sick when I go into the bathroom, hear someone leave the stall and go out the door w/ out washing their hands!!! HELLO? That happens WAY too often. So I also always open the door w/ the paper towel I dried my hands off with.

I'm not germaphobic and know exposure to them is good, but public bathrooms is not one place i want to mess around with.

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#5 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 AM

Oh and if you're there and know they are going to do that, maybe you could get the paper towel for them? Just an idea.

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#6 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 AM

I think it's just too much for some people to think about. Maybe just gently point it out, and eventually the message will get through?
#7 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGsMom View Post
Oh and if you're there and know they are going to do that, maybe you could get the paper towel for them? Just an idea.
What? Be their bathroom assistant? No,I can't do that. I have to get in there and do my thing and get back to my desk.

Sorry,but that isn't a helpful idea for me. I find it odd that you would sugest that I get them a towel,I mean should I roll out some tp for them as well!
#8 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 AM

I would definitely not say anything at all about that. How much water is really wasted there? Is it really worth alienating your coworkers over?

Mommy to kids

#9 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 AM

Set a good example.

Take a deep breath.

Move along.

Really, maybe these people are serious germaphobes.... maybe they have solar panels, wind turbines, use candles at home, grow their own organic veggies with recycled rain water... BUT feel the need to run water at the office due to germ anxiety.

It's awesome that you care so much.. but it must be exhausting to care so much!.
#10 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 AM

:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#11 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok,maybe I should clear something up here.....when I said I felt like kicking the woman in the bathroom who was wasting water I didn't mean I WOULD actually kick the woman! I would NOT have kicked her no matter how angry I was with her. That would be a great way to lose my job and get into even more trouble.

I'm now really hurt that it seems like some people are assuming that I'm so angry that I would actually kick someone and that I'm going to alienate my co-workers. I said what I said in the other post b/c it had just happened that night and I needed to vent a little,which is a very normal thing to do and healthy. I also thought this would be a safe place to do that.

I'm posting this here as well to be sure I'm being clear about why I posted the threads about wasting water and not recycling at my work.
#12 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Nope, I never thought you WOULD kick her. And venting is often helpful, so I hope it helps!

My thought is that you seem really upset about something both inconsequential (in the great scheme of things) and more importantly... OUT OF YOUR CONTROL.

ANd that, in my life, is always a sign that I need to vent, and then reprioritize.... otherwise I start letting petty stuff "get to me" and stop enjoying the GOOD stuff
#13 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Good I'm glad you didn't think I'd really kick the woman. There probably isn't much that I can do about the water wasting in the bathroom except to wash my hands in a non wasteful way and hope they learn from that I guess. lol
#14 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Start a fund for those sinks that use hand motion to work.
#15 of 15 Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I think those sinks would be a great idea! I just don't think we would get them anytime soon if at all. It's a big building that my company rents and we don't even have control over the heat in Winter!

This is what my co-workers looked like last night : ! Many of us had our gloves on! lol It was pretty funny!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page