cooking oil - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our city has a quarterly newsletter that was recently delivered to our home. I was shocked to see them tell residents that when desposing of cooking oil it needs to be put in a tightly sealed insulated container and taken to the hazardous waste site. It should never be put in the garbage.

I was startled and concerned about this as we consume this product in small quantities. After reading up on it I found that they would like it to be disposed of in this manner as it clogs drain pipes and sewer pipes, makes a mess in garbage trucks and they would like to recycle it, which is understandable. I also found out that they want to keep it out of out waterways as 1 liter can contaminate up to 1,000,000 cubic feet of water. All of these were very good reasons to recycle.

THEN I found out what they recycle it into.. Animal feed and soaps are the main thing. I don't agree with the animal feed as they also recycle lard. I am the most concerned with the fact that they turn it into soap. They claim that it has a profound impact on our waterways, however they are just putting it into the water. How can this be. Is it processed in such a way that it is no longer hazardous?

I just don't get it. Any insight would be helpful!
#2 of 3 Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 PM

When I make soap at home, I mix vegetable oil and lye together. This causes a chemical reaction that turns the mix into soap. It is neither lye nor oil anymore. I imagine that the industrial process is similar.

Now large quantities of soap is still not good for the environment but it is preferable to many common detergents and it doesn't coat the water surface the way oil does.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#3 of 3 Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, it makes much more sense now!:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page