Getting rid of all single-use/disposables, but... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
The best for nose wiping, hands down, is bamboo velour. BETTER than actual tissues.
Yeah that! I bought some bamboo velour to make some, but buy some from her if you don't sew!
#32 of 38 Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
About applying toner with a cloth that you wash: My washing machine has a warning on it that washing things saturated with alcohol (rubbing or drinking type) can cause the machine to catch fire. I don't know how that works or how much alcohol it would take, but that keeps me from using washable cloths with anything that contains alcohol. Some toners do.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#33 of 38 Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM

I use Norwex toothbrushes. Not only do they have replaceable heads, they also contain silver in the bristles so that they disinfect themselves within 3 hours of using and you don't even have to use toothpaste with them unless you want to.

Shellie

I would like an alternative to plastic toothbrushes...anyone? Even if it has to be disposable, there's the health/safety issue - especially for DS who really likes to chew on his toothbrush.[/QUOTE]
#34 of 38 Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
About applying toner with a cloth that you wash: My washing machine has a warning on it that washing things saturated with alcohol (rubbing or drinking type) can cause the machine to catch fire. I don't know how that works or how much alcohol it would take, but that keeps me from using washable cloths with anything that contains alcohol. Some toners do.
ALcohol evaporates very quickly. As long as the fabric is dry before you put it in the washer there is no alcohol left to cause a fire. Just dont put a freshly used one in the wash.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#35 of 38 Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 AM

We had old t-shirts I couldn't donate, too messed up, so I cut them up for tissue and TP.

As for the q-tips, as long as you buy the paper ones you can compost them Even the paper tissues can be composted if the DPs aren't keen on cloth.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#36 of 38 Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 PM

I am so going to cut up some old clothing and make hankies and napkins. I don't know why I haven't done this already, but you ladies have definitely lit a fire under my britches.

Thanks! :

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#37 of 38 Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 PM

:

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#38 of 38 Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Jean View Post
I've been thinking about the disposable issue with cotton balls. I use a cotton ball everyday (to put toner on my face), and I want to stop! Should I just use a piece of flannel/fleece instead?
What about those cloth pads that come in powder compacts? I know you can buy them in multipacks by themselves, and they seem to survive washing just fine, ime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
As Dakota's Mom says, the alcohol will have evaporated by the time the cloth gets to the washer. Seriously though, that warning is there so people don't try to wash gasoline-soaked shop rags or similar.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page