What's better: trash compactor or reg. trash bags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just moved into our new house a few weeks ago, and there is a trash compactor in the kitchen. I've never had a trash compactor, so I bought trash compactor bags so we could try it out. The bags are more expensive than regular trash bags ($15 for 44 bags) and are much thicker plastic. I was very pleased to see that, with all our recycling and composting efforts, our family of four uses up less than one trash-compactor bag in one week! I've only had to empty it once and we've been using it close to three weeks, and that includes unpacking and moving-in related extra trash.

But now I'm wondering: does the thicker plastic of the trash compactor bag negate any good that it does to compact our trash down to a smaller size? Am I suffering from delusions in thinking that compacting our trash to a much smaller size, yet incasing it in thicker plastic, is somehow beneficial to the environment? Would we be better off generating more bags of trash in thinner plastic bags?

Furthermore (and I realize this is more a frugality and finances question) do you think it is financially advantageous to buy these expensive bags rather than the cheaper bags that we would use a lot more of? I would guess that we used to fill a regular trash bag every other day.

The one good thing I can say is that we make fewer trips to the trash collection place than we would otherwise. (We can take our trash and recycling 3 miles down the road to the county trash collection area for FREE.) But since I make efforts to consolidate my errands, I wouldn't be driving there anyway unless I was already out for some other reason.

I'd love to hear your educated guesses regarding this conundrum.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#2 of 5 Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Not sure about this but i found some "degradable" composting bags that you can buy there call "bag to nature" heres a site http://www.indaco.ca/bagtonature.php not sure if this helps.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#3 of 5 Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Things that come to mind:

- I have a family of 4 (going on 5), and we barely fill one kitchen bag in a week, even if we do more processed food or stuff in any given week. But if you're filling a "regular" bag several times a week, and a compactor bag once a week, you should be able to figure out the cost-ratio equivalent to make that decision.
- You wouldn't be able to compact in a regular bag.
- It makes absolutely no difference to the future of your trash if it's encased in heavy plastic or light plastic. It's not going to decompose in any way, shape, or form. That said, we prefer to use the biodegradable bags, just on principal. (or is it principle? too lazy to look it up now)
- if I had a compactor, it would take me so long to fill it up, that I think it might smell bad (even though we compost everything).
- We have weekly trash pick-up, but our can rarely has more than a bag plus some random stuff in it, except on rare occasions.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#4 of 5 Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Try using a regular bag. My parents were able to use regular bags with their compactor - but it was an older compactor and they only compacted once or twice per bag.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#5 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

Regular bag won't work. Even the compactor bags get a little torn here and there. But I'm still very pleased with how seldom I have to change the bag now. It is averaging once every 2 weeks.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page