Things that come to mind:
- I have a family of 4 (going on 5), and we barely fill one kitchen bag in a week, even if we do more processed food or stuff in any given week. But if you're filling a "regular" bag several times a week, and a compactor bag once a week, you should be able to figure out the cost-ratio equivalent to make that decision.
- You wouldn't be able to compact in a regular bag.
- It makes absolutely no difference to the future of your trash if it's encased in heavy plastic or light plastic. It's not going to decompose in any way, shape, or form. That said, we prefer to use the biodegradable bags, just on principal. (or is it principle? too lazy to look it up now)
- if I had a compactor, it would take me so long to fill it up, that I think it might smell bad (even though we compost everything).
- We have weekly trash pick-up, but our can rarely has more than a bag plus some random stuff in it, except on rare occasions.